Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Using panniers (rear) and child seat (rear)

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 07-09-19, 11:46 AM
anika

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
the kid and I are very excited to use our Thule Ride Along to get to daycare. The problem is, my beloved Ortlieb panniers don't fit underneath the seat, and diapers etc. need to be shlepped. I have not been able to find panniers that work instead. Did anybody have the same problem and found a good solution? (A backpack is not the solution.)
Any suggestions appreciated!
A.
Old 07-10-19, 03:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I have a front pannier rack on several bikes.. and bags on them, no bags on the rear ( old but I have no children )

the bambino/bambina will outgrow the baby seat with stunning rapidity, then you can go back to usual rear bag mount

some rear racks have a lower rail set but sight unseen IDK how you'd combine them..

images

the extrawheel company has a 1 wheel * bike trailer that can carry the 2 rear panniers

* it's like a 2nd front wheel like on your bike.. ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-10-19 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-16-19, 07:52 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Backpack, or front bags. My bike was pretty short and the backpack was a problem so I got a really cheap Schwinn branded bag/basket from Walmart. It's a nylon bag that hangs from a loop of plastic much like a basketball net or wastebasket liner. I think it wouldn't have worked well with a threadless headset but with the long quill it was great.

If it's a diamond frame you can get a frame bag but my bike at the time was a step-through.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-20-19, 05:24 PM
FujiSam

Bikes: '72 Fuji Newest, '79 Fuji Royale Gravel Grinder; '84 Schwinn High Sierra BMX Cruiser; '97 Huffy Tremor BMX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 51 Posts
We have a Thule Ride Along as well and I'm able to clip a Banjo Brothers Waterproof rolltop pannier under it just fine! It's kind of a pain to unclip it and can't be done while it's really loaded, but it does fit! However, it is mounted to a frame-integrated rack on my partner's Giant Momentum, so I'm not sure if that is the reason for the clearance.
Old 09-13-19, 03:24 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
I'm a fan of balancing with front panniers, but if you need space and want to use a tagalong-style, I really can't recommend the Roland add + bike highly enough. The rear rack is heavy, but the attachment is designed to make full use of the top & sides for touring (and the tagalong itself can come with a rack for your kiddo's gear). That's what I use when touring with my daughter; if you're in the US bike24.com will ship very reasonably; I think it still ends up being about the same as buying the Burley tagalong even here in-country.
Old 06-03-20, 10:37 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Solution 1. Front panniers.

No interference.

Solution 2. Kids are getting bigger and stronger. No need baby seat anymore. Small wheels.