Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Discontinuing Continental Top Touring 2000?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-05, 06:06 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts

Are they discontinuing all Continental Top Touring 2000 tires or just these 28s?

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=
Old 10-20-05, 12:30 PM
racpat_rtw

Bikes: Vittorio Strada randoneur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the notice. I doubt they are closing any out, but the 700c top touring tyres are also on sale. Pretty good deal at $25.00 a piece.
Old 10-20-05, 01:48 PM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Originally Posted by racpat_rtw
Thanks for the notice. I doubt they are closing any out, but the 700c top touring tyres are also on sale. Pretty good deal at $25.00 a piece.
Not really given the problem with the sidewalls splitting.
Old 10-20-05, 02:17 PM
racpat_rtw

Bikes: Vittorio Strada randoneur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wasn't aware of that problem. Used top touring extensively on long trips, the tread would be worn out before the sidewalls. Do you have some more information on this problem?
Thanks,
Old 10-23-05, 01:06 PM
sbromwich

Bikes: Mountain Bike rebuilt for commuting

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wore out a TT2000 on my rear tyre in under 1000km; I actually had holes worn through the sidewall, I suspect by the rim. I think that the tyre was underinflated for the weight it was carrying; I had it at the recommended PSI (85, I think, which seemed a bit on the low side) the whole time. I've seen posts elsewhere that state the tyres are fine if they're overinflated to around 100PSI. I took the tyre back to MEC and they gave me a refund straightaway, I picked up a Continental Town and Country tyre to replace it (that was all they had apart from skinny racing tyres). The T&C has put in around 1500km with no sign of wear.

The TT2000 tyre on my front wheel is showing no sign of wear, by comparison.
Old 10-23-05, 02:22 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by onbike 1939
Not really given the problem with the sidewalls splitting.
In countless years of using these tires I have never had a problem with the sidewalls. I have heard of problems with the reflective sidewalls due to lots of exposure to the sun, but the black sidewalls don't exhibit the same problem.

It looks to me like they are only discontinuing the kevlar folding bead, not the wire bead.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-24-05, 05:23 AM
onbike 1939

Originally Posted by racpat_rtw
I wasn't aware of that problem. Used top touring extensively on long trips, the tread would be worn out before the sidewalls. Do you have some more information on this problem?
Thanks,
These tyres are notorious in the UK for the sidewalls tearing I've lost count. For me the last time was on tour in France when mine went. Coming home on the bus I mentioned this and the guy next to me said that he had exactly the same problem. Shwalbe marathon now seems to be the touring tyre of choice here.
Old 10-24-05, 07:37 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by onbike 1939
These tyres are notorious in the UK for the sidewalls tearing I've lost count. For me the last time was on tour in France when mine went. Coming home on the bus I mentioned this and the guy next to me said that he had exactly the same problem. Shwalbe marathon now seems to be the touring tyre of choice here.
Do you remember the color of your sidewalls (on the contis)?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-24-05, 08:27 AM
Desertrat

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano, Rivendell touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had the same problem with these tires. Sidewalls dying out way before their time....I have switched to Panaracer Pasela touring.....700x37.....I sure like those so far.
Old 10-24-05, 09:09 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Must be hit or miss with continental tires, I've tried a lot of different conti models over the years.
My new try for the 700c touring bike, the 37c Continental travelcontact. It's got a different type of sidewall than the Conti TT 2000's.

I'm kicking the tires, so to speak, for one of their 26" road touring tires that will also do gravel well. I like the Town and Country tread but would like a fat, lower volume tire for a little higher pressure.
Old 10-24-05, 09:19 PM
velotimbe
addicted to coffee

Bikes: Surly LHT, Gunnar Roadie, Trek Fuel EX, Fisher Twenty Niner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me thinks that there might be a few of you out there running too low of pressures....... I have been running the same set of Conti TT 2000 tires 700x32 on WTB SpeedMaster rims for 5 summers, over 10,000 miles, and they sidewalls still look great. The treads are pretty darn nuthin now, so I might have to replace them next year...... Oh, and in all that time, I never even had a single flat!

However, on my townie bike I have been experimenting with the Michelin Tour City tires, which are VERY cheap, have reflective sidewalls, and a very nice tread. They work well, not necessarily as nice riding as the continentals, and the tread picks up lots of small stones, but they are also so far (1000 miles) very durable and very good at wet and loaded traction
Old 10-26-05, 01:19 AM
vosyer
WATERFORD22

Bikes: Bilenky, Co-Motion, 1969 Paramount, Waterford Adventure Cycle, Waterford rs 22, 1980 Davidson etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been wondering the same - I bought 3 sets at Supergo at $15 a tire several months ago. I ride these tires alot on several different single bikes and tandems. The ones at Supergo were foldable 28's made in germany, but without the reflective lstripe found on the newest models made in Thailand - not that matters to me. I still have two sets with the gum sidewalls. Based upon what I have seen you can find a better deal at least for the 28's.
Old 10-26-05, 07:32 AM
onbike 1939

Originally Posted by chipcom
Do you remember the color of your sidewalls (on the contis)?
Brown sidewalls and I'm unsure if the balck ones are better in this regard.
Old 10-26-05, 07:35 AM
onbike 1939

Originally Posted by velotimbe
Me thinks that there might be a few of you out there running too low of pressures....... I have been running the same set of Conti TT 2000 tires 700x32 on WTB SpeedMaster rims for 5 summers, over 10,000 miles, and they sidewalls still look great. The treads are pretty darn nuthin now, so I might have to replace them next year...... Oh, and in all that time, I never even had a single flat!

However, on my townie bike I have been experimenting with the Michelin Tour City tires, which are VERY cheap, have reflective sidewalls, and a very nice tread. They work well, not necessarily as nice riding as the continentals, and the tread picks up lots of small stones, but they are also so far (1000 miles) very durable and very good at wet and loaded traction
If I have been running these tyres with too low a pressure then it seems that most of the tourists in the UK must be guilty of this also given the number of similar experiences. No, it seems well established that there is/was a problem with the sidewalls.
Old 10-27-05, 06:23 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I thought this tire was replacing the top touring
https://www.conti-online.com/generato...ontact_en.html

I think all contis with the gum sidewalls 'got issues' I've ridden the town and country(many pairs) for years and love the ride but eveyone was tossed out due to sidewall failure. Lots of tread left tho'. I went to Spec Armadilos Nimbus, bomber tire rough ride. I also just bougth the Conti contacts with blackwalls for my tourer. I like the ride, tho' a little sluggish. Not enough miles to rate puncture resistence.