Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Nashbar Folding Too?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Nashbar Folding Too?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-18, 06:08 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Nashbar Folding Too?

I have read several of the Performance closing threads. While we don't have any of their stores nearby, and I rarely ordered from them online, I hate to see businesses shut down. I recently ordered a new MTB frame. In the past Nashbar has been a good source for bike parts. The variety of components they have is WAY down from what I am accustomed to. I can't find a single item to buy there. Are they folding along with Performance?
Old 12-27-18, 08:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have read several of the Performance closing threads. While we don't have any of their stores nearby, and I rarely ordered from them online, I hate to see businesses shut down. I recently ordered a new MTB frame. In the past Nashbar has been a good source for bike parts. The variety of components they have is WAY down from what I am accustomed to. I can't find a single item to buy there. Are they folding along with Performance?

It would seem that way. Clearly they are not getting new stock from their suppliers which is a death sentence for a retailer.

My guess is they're being quiet about closing it because they're hoping to spin off Nashbar and sell it.

I wouldn't be shocked if a big retailer like WM or Amazon buy the domain and brand names, and gut the operation.
Old 12-27-18, 08:53 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I did notice that Nashbar still has a LOT of bicycles listed. Everything else is a a fraction of what it used to be.
Old 12-27-18, 09:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I did notice that Nashbar still has a LOT of bicycles listed. Everything else is a a fraction of what it used to be.

My impression is that almost all of the bikes left are ASI's brands, so the supplier issue isn't there.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the bike brands. Not clear whether ASI is going to retain anything or just be parted out to buyers.
Old 12-27-18, 09:20 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I also hope they survive this. I went looking for their Alpe de Huez pedals the other day. None found. I can buy an equivalent on Amazon. But I trust Nashbar's backing of their own products.
Old 12-27-18, 11:38 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Nashbar will disappear when the Performance bankruptcy finalizes unless some entity buys the name or other property. In reality they disappeared when Performance bought them years ago. It was just another website with slightly different products from Performance to maintain an identity.
Old 12-27-18, 01:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Unfortunately it doesn't look good for Nashbar from a customer's perspective. Prices and delivery are still good, I've bought several items from them this year, including the past couple of months. Only one minor bobble -- double charged for one item -- which they quickly corrected.

But stock is depleted and they don't seem to be restocking their usual fare of discontinued, heavily discounted items from familiar brands. And there are very few Nashbar branded items now. Too bad, some, like their Townie folding grocery panniers, were really good values. Nashbar's own branded items seemed like they were designed by cyclists for cyclists who actually used those items, and generally priced more attractively than comparable items under other brand names.

The warehouse move within the past year to consolidate with Performance, and pricing changes -- from frequent special discounts to fixed low prices, then back to discounts -- didn't seem to hinder customer satisfaction but may have indicated some struggle to adapt to whatever business model ASE had in mind.

Relocating Nashbar from its old Ohio facility to Chapel Hill, NC, may have been a mistake. Performance cited high lease costs as a factor in filing for bankruptcy. The old Ohio location was probably cheaper with a lower cost of living. Maybe there were problems that needed to be fixed with inventory or logistics, but relocating and shipping already heavily discounted new/old stock merchandise didn't seem cost effective.

I hope they'll successfully reorganize. I never bought anything from Performance and won't miss them, but Nashbar would be missed even if it's no longer the same family operation.
Old 12-27-18, 03:55 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
The local PBs are seling Nashbar branded clothing and random assorted components, take that for what you will.
Old 12-27-18, 04:34 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I read things about nashbar years ago, surprised they are still around.
Old 12-27-18, 05:44 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
It is kinda sorta too bad about this. I have bought things from Bike Nashbar back since it was Bike Warehouse back in the mail order days. It was much better back then. In those days, you could order an overhaul kit for your Campagnolo Nuovo Record equipped bike as well as individual parts for that bike. Their catalogue was a cornucopia of hard to find bike parts. I bought stuff from them that I couldn't find locally. As a Canadian, it always cost me extra to buy across the us/Canada border. Unfortunately, Nashbar, and Performance ignored markets outside the USA, unlike their online competition worldwide. I used to be a customer, but they ripped me off on shipping, and I gave up on them. Their shipping cost structure was stupid, the more you spent, the more you paid for shipping. absolutely stupid
Old 12-27-18, 09:25 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
The local PBs are seling Nashbar branded clothing and random assorted components, take that for what you will.
I just noticed this a few days ago when I checked out the discounts that my local Performance Bikes had.

Pitiful discounts and not everything is being discounted. Strangely I found that the house branded trainers were alot more expensive than they used to be and more so than the website shows.

Was tempted with seeing a Breezer Radar Expert down to $560 from the normal sale price of $920.

Time to just shop more at other LBS and online.

Other than this, the helmets, gloves, and other items were not much if at all cheaper than a typical sale.

Was weird to not see the normal staff that used to work there and only a few guys that really didn't know much on bikes.
Old 12-27-18, 09:37 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
I just noticed this a few days ago when I checked out the discounts that my local Performance Bikes had.
Pitiful discounts and not everything is being discounted. Strangely I found that the house branded trainers were alot more expensive than they used to be and more so than the website shows.
I keep hearing that, but I don't think they are that bad. They have boxes of plain black Performance and Nashbar shorts for $9 and Nashbar socks for $1.50 or so. I bought a Deore wheelset for my 26" touring bike for $68. Could all depend on the particular store tho. There was very limited things that weren't on any sort of discount (although a trainer was one of them), I just assumed that stuff was consignment and would be shipped up and sent back if it doesn't sell.