Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

New to Cyclocross/Cosmic Stallion or Macho King

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 06:05 AM
LeFreakyBone

Bikes: BMX – FBM Gypsy; Gravel/Adventure – Rodeo Labs Flaanimal 4.1; Mountain – Santa Cruz Bronson CC X01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts

Hi everyone,

I come from a BMX background and as I get older I’m finding myself becoming more interested in other types of cycling. The world of geared bikes is very new to me, but I am very interested in getting into cyclocross racing, with some long distance rides thrown in and potentially a road race or 2. I know that’s asking a lot from 1 bike, and if my budget allowed I’d get one for every occasion.

I have found 2 bikes from All-City that I really like; the Macho King and the Cosmic Stallion.

I was originally interested in finding a bike that I can race cyclocross with and switch out the wheels if I ever wanted to race road. This scenario sounds appropriate for the Macho King.

But then I began looking into the Cosmic Stallion. Looks like it would be fine for racing cross and doing long distance trail rides. Probably not best suited for road racing, but a better do-it-all kind of bike.

I’d like to try to test ride both, but having a hard time finding shops near me that have either in stock.

As I mentioned, this is an entirely new world for me, so please feel free to point out that I am overthinking things or haven’t considered other important things. Anybody have experience on either or both of these, or even other bike suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-19-18, 06:28 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
I think your sense of the two bikes is about right...The Macho King will be a great 'cross bike, a decent gravel bike, and (with skinnier tires and perhaps lighter wheels) a passable road racer; the Cosmic Stallion will be a great gravel bike, a decent trail rider, a good 'cross bike, but it will probably not work well as a road racer.

So you just need to decide which cycling genre most attracts you, and then choose a bike. Or look at some other brands.
Old 07-20-18, 08:49 AM
LeFreakyBone

Bikes: BMX – FBM Gypsy; Gravel/Adventure – Rodeo Labs Flaanimal 4.1; Mountain – Santa Cruz Bronson CC X01

Thank you for your input!

One other thing I really like about the Cosmic Stallion is the thru-axle in the frame, which I’m sure makes chain and disc brake alignment a ton easier. But with that being said, I’m kind of thinking the Macho King might be better suited for what I’m looking for.

I am still going to take a look around to see what else is available.
Old 07-20-18, 09:50 AM
Facanh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Everything should be thru axle IMO, but on bikes where you're not SENDING IT with 203mm rotors a nice precise QR dropout does the job good.
Old 07-20-18, 12:09 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by LeFreakyBone
Hi everyone,

I come from a BMX background and as I get older I’m finding myself becoming more interested in other types of cycling. The world of geared bikes is very new to me, but I am very interested in getting into cyclocross racing, with some long distance rides thrown in and potentially a road race or 2. I know that’s asking a lot from 1 bike, and if my budget allowed I’d get one for every occasion.

I have found 2 bikes from All-City that I really like; the Macho King and the Cosmic Stallion.

I was originally interested in finding a bike that I can race cyclocross with and switch out the wheels if I ever wanted to race road. This scenario sounds appropriate for the Macho King.

But then I began looking into the Cosmic Stallion. Looks like it would be fine for racing cross and doing long distance trail rides. Probably not best suited for road racing, but a better do-it-all kind of bike.

I’d like to try to test ride both, but having a hard time finding shops near me that have either in stock.

As I mentioned, this is an entirely new world for me, so please feel free to point out that I am overthinking things or haven’t considered other important things. Anybody have experience on either or both of these, or even other bike suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Man you're asking a lot. The very first thing that comes to mind is that steel wouldn't my first choice for a do-it-all bike, too heavy. But that is a personal thing for everyone.
The second thought is that you need to pick which of those disciplines is more important to you and make concessions on the others. CX, road, and gravel all have fairly different requirements.

If it were me I'd get a SuperX with an extra wheelset and maybe an extra chainring to switch between.

Last edited by shoota; 07-20-18 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-20-18, 12:52 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
+1 to thru-axles. I've got a Space Horse Disc with QR and mechanical disc brakes, and I wish it had thru-axles. I can get things lined up just fine, but I get tired of fooling around with it.
Old 04-03-19, 01:49 PM
LeFreakyBone

So, much time has passed and I still have not picked up a bike.

I was sold on the Cosmic Stallion and was ready to make a purchase, but I could not find one anywhere, as the supplier was sold out of all but the smaller sizes. I decided to hold out for some time with the hopes that when the new CS is released it would have some minor upgrades. Well, I was pretty disappointed to see that the new version downgraded to mechanical brakes and still costs the same. I am a fan of the new paint job, but I just don't feel as strongly as I did prior.

So now I am thinking of going a new route, buy a frameset and build one up myself.
I plan on going with a Shimano 105 hydro groupset.
I already have a Fizik Aliante seat on my fixed gear that I will transfer over and a Thomson seat post.
Undecided on stem and bars.

For the rest of the build, I am thinking:
  • Rodeo Labs Flannimal 4.1 frameset
    • Does anyone have experience with any version of these framesets?
      It seems very versatile. The only thing I am not stoked on is the coupler on the seat stay. I sort of feel like this would be a weak point on the frame. Thoughts?
      rodeo-labs. com/flaanimal4/ (I added a space before the.com because I am not allowed to post links with my minimal post count)
  • Hunt Wheelset
    • I only just came across this company, so I don't have much knowledge on them, but I am reading good reviews.
      Anybody have experience/thoughts on a set of these?
      huntbikewheels .cc/collections/gravel-wheels/products/mason-x-hunt-four-season-disc-brake-road-bike-wheelset-tubeless-ready (I added a space before the.cc because I am not allowed to post links with my minimal post count)
Old 04-03-19, 01:58 PM
itskohler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Building is usually much more expensive unless you buy second hand, just something to think about. I'd buy the frame set that you want already want, then replace things as you see fit after riding it but that's just me. What's your budget like?
Old 04-03-19, 08:48 PM
DanBell

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
The only thing I am not stoked on is the coupler on the seat stay. I sort of feel like this would be a weak point on the frame. Thoughts?
Lots of bikes use a coupler like this for their belt break. I would imagine Rodeo Labs has done due diligence on their particular iteration of it.

Hunt Wheelset
  • I only just came across this company, so I don't have much knowledge on them, but I am reading good reviews.
    huntbikewheels .cc/collections/gravel-wheels/products/mason-x-hunt-four-season-disc-brake-road-bike-wheelset-tubeless-ready (I added a space before the.cc because I am not allowed to post links with my minimal post count)
No direct experience, but a friend has ordered these as an upgrade on his Fairlight Strael (you should probably also check out the Strael and Secan if you haven't already, they might be what you're looking for). Bike arrives in a week or so, so I'll have a look at them then. I've also read nothing but good things about Hunt.
Old 04-04-19, 11:05 AM
shoota 

So, much time has passed and I still have not picked up a bike.

I was sold on the Cosmic Stallion and was ready to make a purchase, but I could not find one anywhere, as the supplier was sold out of all but the smaller sizes. I decided to hold out for some time with the hopes that when the new CS is released it would have some minor upgrades. Well, I was pretty disappointed to see that the new version downgraded to mechanical brakes and still costs the same. I am a fan of the new paint job, but I just don't feel as strongly as I did prior.

So now I am thinking of going a new route, buy a frameset and build one up myself.
I plan on going with a Shimano 105 hydro groupset.
I already have a Fizik Aliante seat on my fixed gear that I will transfer over and a Thomson seat post.
Undecided on stem and bars.

For the rest of the build, I am thinking:
  • Rodeo Labs Flannimal 4.1 frameset
    • Does anyone have experience with any version of these framesets?
      It seems very versatile. The only thing I am not stoked on is the coupler on the seat stay. I sort of feel like this would be a weak point on the frame. Thoughts?
      rodeo-labs. com/flaanimal4/ (I added a space before the.com because I am not allowed to post links with my minimal post count)
  • Hunt Wheelset
What size are you looking for? I think my shop may have one of the gold and black ones still. I could check.
Old 04-07-19, 07:35 PM
LeFreakyBone

Originally Posted by itskohler
Building is usually much more expensive unless you buy second hand, just something to think about. I'd buy the frame set that you want already want, then replace things as you see fit after riding it but that's just me. What's your budget like?
I’d like to keep it close to the same cost as the Cosmic Stallion, but can probably go about as high as $3k. After tallying up the custom build I mention above, it looks like it would be right around that cost.

Originally Posted by DanBell
Lots of bikes use a coupler like this for their belt break. I would imagine Rodeo Labs has done due diligence on their particular iteration of it.

No direct experience, but a friend has ordered these as an upgrade on his Fairlight Strael (you should probably also check out the Strael and Secan if you haven't already, they might be what you're looking for). Bike arrives in a week or so, so I'll have a look at them then. I've also read nothing but good things about Hunt.
Yea I’d imagine there isn’t anything to worry about with the coupler, and even if anything did go wrong Rodeo seems to have very good customer service.
Thanks for the info! I’ll look into the Strael and Secan as well.

Originally Posted by shoota
What size are you looking for? I think my shop may have one of the gold and black ones still. I could check.
That would be awesome if you do! I’m pretty certain I’d be a 55 on an All City.
Old 04-08-19, 08:46 AM
shoota 

That would be awesome if you do! I’m pretty certain I’d be a 55 on an All City.
Call them at (405) 372-7319. District Bicycles in Stillwater OK.
Old 04-09-19, 11:13 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Don't worry about the Rodeo frame coupler. Those guys ride those bikes on enduro trails.

The Rodeo frames will definitely be nicer than any of the All City framesets. The QBP bikes (All City, Surly, etc...) are cool but way overpriced for their specs and frame features.
Old 04-10-19, 12:38 PM
LeFreakyBone

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Don't worry about the Rodeo frame coupler. Those guys ride those bikes on enduro trails.

The Rodeo frames will definitely be nicer than any of the All City framesets. The QBP bikes (All City, Surly, etc...) are cool but way overpriced for their specs and frame features.
Yea I came across some videos. After seeing some of the trails they take their bikes down it looks like there is absolutely nothing to worry about.
Old 04-19-19, 12:45 PM
LeFreakyBone

Not to make this thread any longer than it needs to be, but I just thought I'd post an update. I have been emailing with Rodeo Labs to come up with a build, and I think we landed on something that I will be very happy with. Within a few weeks I should have a new Flaanimal in my possession!