Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Introduction to the Road Cycling Forum

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Introduction to the Road Cycling Forum

Old 06-29-17, 02:04 AM
krumvis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beginner Cycler looking for Bike

I found a bike on Craigslist but I don't know if I will get my money's worth if I buy it.
https://stockton.craigslist.org/bik/6196891384.html
I found the bike on the Bicycle Blue Book for more info.
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...50&model=65313
Should I buy the bike? I don't really have the budget to pay over $200 and I haven't found many other road bikes that interest me.
Old 06-29-17, 02:26 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by krumvis
I found a bike on Craigslist but I don't know if I will get my money's worth if I buy it.
https://stockton.craigslist.org/bik/6196891384.html
I found the bike on the Bicycle Blue Book for more info.
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...50&model=65313
Should I buy the bike? I don't really have the budget to pay over $200 and I haven't found many other road bikes that interest me.
It would have been a perfectly reasonable road bike in its day. But, the bike as described in bicyclebluebook is in its original configuration, as a road bike with front and rear shifting; the craigslist posting you've linked is a single-speed conversion (possibly fixed-gear, but I'm not sure). If you're actually looking for a single-speed, and it fits you, and it's working fine, that's not an unreasonable deal.
(This is also the reason that the bike is only 20lbs.)

Even if you do want a single-speed or fixie, I'm nervous about the vertical dropouts. Most single-speed bikes without chain tensioners use horizontal dropouts for the rear wheel so that you can set chain tension easily with wheel position. When they have vertical dropouts, they need a mechanism such as an eccentric wheel hub that allows chain tension to be manipulated. Make sure that this bike has such a feature before you buy; otherwise, it's possible that it's only on craigslist because it's a failed conversion, in which case it would need significant extra work to get it running properly.
Old 06-29-17, 02:32 AM
krumvis

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
It would have been a perfectly reasonable road bike in its day. But, the bike as described in bicyclebluebook is in its original configuration, as a road bike with front and rear shifting; the craigslist posting you've linked is a single-speed conversion (possibly fixed-gear, but I'm not sure). If you're actually looking for a single-speed, and it fits you, and it's working fine, that's not an unreasonable deal.
(This is also the reason that the bike is only 20lbs.)

Even if you do want a single-speed or fixie, I'm nervous about the vertical dropouts. Most single-speed bikes without chain tensioners use horizontal dropouts for the rear wheel so that you can set chain tension easily with wheel position. When they have vertical dropouts, they need a mechanism such as an eccentric wheel hub that allows chain tension to be manipulated. Make sure that this bike has such a feature before you buy; otherwise, it's possible that it's only on craigslist because it's a failed conversion, in which case it would need significant extra work to get it running properly.
Thank you for the response.
Do you mind taking a look at two of my other options as well?
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/6196159458.html
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bid/6195479640.html
Unfortunately, I couldn't find more info on these bikes online.
Old 06-29-17, 09:51 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,484 Times in 3,413 Posts
Attention Newbies, you will get a lot more answers and info if you start your own thread with your bike decision questions. This thread is for questions about the forum, not questions about bikes.
Old 07-21-17, 12:06 PM
atitagain

Bikes: caad 8 c'dale , trek madone 5.2

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
intro

I am male , 62 , 126 lbs as of this morning and riding harder every time out . I rode a lot in my 20's but quit when I hit about 30 for no good reason I can recall . I'm at it again and about a year and half into it this time . My first bike is a caad 8 and I love it . Recently bought a madone 5.2 because I think I got a good deal on it but have not started riding it yet . It just sits on a shelf looking pretty . Divorced and liquidated 3 years ago and moved from southern appalachia to central Alabama 2 years ago . Got sick with probably liver failure almost right away but did not go to a doctor so just guessing . It did not kill me but got my attention . So I made some big changes . Quit using alcohol first . Then went plant based whole food . no processed anything , no meat dairy or animal products , no wheat ,soy or gmo anything . Only fruits, vegetables , seeds and nuts in whole food form . lots of beans and taters and rice . Only distilled water to drink . Now using deionized water though and coffee has come back after a year of abstinence . went from 34 waist to 28 . Oh yeah I bought that caad 8 about the same time I started the new diet . I am currently riding 15 to 25 mile outings averaging about 3 or 4 times a week at about 14 mph average . I plan to get faster and increase my mileage though .
Took a spill this morning . I got distracted and was too close to the edge of the road and a gust of wind hit me and off the edge I went . When I tried to get back on the pavement the lip was too high and my front tire skidded out and I dumped onto the road way . No big deal . A few scrapes on me and a little on the left hood and crank arm of the bike . Got up , put my chain back on and took off . my padded glove palm saved my hand from some damage . Stuff happens and if you can get up and carry on no big deal i reckon . any way I never will claim to be the sharpest tool in the shed . Peace
Old 07-30-17, 03:23 PM
easy49

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peace to you too brother. All we can do is do the best we can!
Old 08-06-17, 10:00 AM
PalmBeachC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HI everybody,
I went on my ride this morning on a MTB, 15 miles (1h30) and I'm in love with biking only thing though is that I know for sure that I need to get a road bike ASAP,
Any advice on what to get? Big box cheap ones, or maybe LBS more expensive? I'm on a budget of $500-$600 that has to include any upgrades.
I was looking at:
Fuji Absolute 2.3,
Fuji Sportif 2.5
Diamondback Insight 1
Schwinn Volare 1200/1300
GMC Denali

Any input is greatly appreciated (I'm open to other suggestions)

Thanks very much!
Old 02-20-18, 04:37 PM
CortoMaltese

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newb here just checking in. Very helpful forum... I shall be back once I get my first road bike
Old 02-21-18, 11:51 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by CortoMaltese
Newb here just checking in. Very helpful forum... I shall be back once I get my first road bike
It's better to ask questions about your first bike BEFORE you buy it.
Old 02-21-18, 11:52 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by CortoMaltese
Welcome!
Old 02-21-18, 11:54 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by noodle soup
It's better to ask questions about your first bike BEFORE you buy it.
This is very usually true.
Old 02-22-18, 07:52 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
This is very usually true.
I'd much rather see someone that is new to the sport ask the same questions, than see them make a bad choice.
Old 04-10-19, 07:13 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
bump

Old 05-08-19, 09:52 PM
BikerGuy92

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Introduction to the Road Cycling Forum: References and Newbie Questions Answered Here

Could anyone recommend a good tutorial on finding the right seat height for each rider? I tried looking through the first post, but the few links I clicked all gave 404 errors.
Old 05-12-19, 07:59 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Once again a reminder to new forum members:

. . . You will get a lot more answers and info if you start your own thread with your bike questions. This thread is for questions about the forum, NOT questions about bikes.
Old 05-12-19, 08:02 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by BikerGuy92
Could anyone recommend a good tutorial on finding the right seat height for each rider? I tried looking through the first post, but the few links I clicked all gave 404 errors.
Hi BikerGuy, I have turned your post into a new thread. You can find it here in the Road Cycling forum. https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...questions.html
Old 05-14-19, 12:03 AM
rockit_science

Bikes: BMC Teammachine ALR01, Brodie Roam, Swobo Sanchez

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie here too, been riding for about 2 years, commuting and more recently getting into roadie stuff and wanting to start upgrading my road bike so hopefully this is the right place to get some advice
Old 05-15-19, 11:49 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Once again a reminder to new forum members:

. . . You will get a lot more answers and info if you start your own thread with your bike questions. This thread is for questions about the forum, NOT questions about bikes.
Might I suggest that the thread title include "Questions About the Forum" rather than "Newbie Questions Answered Here?"

Just saying
Likes For Abe_Froman:
Old 07-03-19, 12:47 PM
DC.datshim

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
newbie looking for a good starter bike

Hey all.. new to the forum.. i am looking to get a bike as I want to get back moving. I am 45.. use to be heavy into sports.. and now I do nothing..
I hate running and always loved riding bikes. I havn't been in the bike game for such a long time and know nothing about it.
After searching for the ideal bike for me, i walk away dizzy and confused.
If anyone can help me out, recommend a bike.. that would be awesome..
I want something that has multi gears.. both good for city roads and a little bit of off road..
not looking to break the bank
LMK.. thanks..
Old 06-13-20, 01:06 AM
teplickyjan@gma

Bikes: Chinarello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are in US any places where I would find Quintana Roo Tequilo frame, I do not know why, but I love the style from 2008.
Old 07-30-20, 10:08 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
25" wheels?

(I'm looking at a cheap Maruishi on Craigslist to use with a trainer. The ad says it has 25" wheels? Never heard of it, not that I know much. I know of 24", 26", but not heard of 25". Is this one of those things where it's "that size is nonstandard, good luck ever getting new tires to fit"? Or should I assume it's a typo/the seller is mis-measuring? ETA: the seller did tell me the rider was short-- like maybe 5' if that-- so I'm wondering if it's a smaller frame. 53cm frame, apparently?)

For that matter, has anyone ever heard of a Maruishi Eagle Ace? (It's a women's bike, if that makes a difference, so maybe it's a women's model name.)

ETA again: I think it was just a typo. Tires/rims say 27 x 1 1/4.

Last edited by Kat12; 08-02-20 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-02-20, 05:25 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
Okay, so, I'm doing some work to the above-mentioned Maruishi now. I raised the handlebars as far as I could, though they are still lower than I would like. What's the optimum height in relation to the saddle height? They are still slightly below-- no picture at the moment-- and I would prefer to have them higher than this, especially as my regular-use bike is a hybrid and I am not at all used to being this bent over. I don't worry about aerodynamics; this will be my trainer bike and I'm not fast or a hardcore cyclist anyway, so I don't mind being higher than "optimal." I may need to post a picture, because I'm wondering if this is a sign that the bike is actually too small for me. (Former owner was about 5'; I'm 5'6". Short legs, long torso.)

ETA: got it! I'm also trying to swap out the saddle; I hate the current one. I have some spares with cutouts so I'd like to put one of those on. I can't get the old one off! I looked it up on Youtube... one video suggested I should just be able to slide the rails off the clamp (no). Another suggested I should be able to pull out the center bolt (no). Any other options?? Is it me, or the saddle? Here are pics:

Last edited by Kat12; 08-02-20 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-13-20, 04:19 PM
Dressed4succes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbe from NL 37 year old. Started cycling 2 years ago. Very handy but lack experience. Looking fw to learn a lot here.
Old 10-25-20, 04:22 PM
DudeManBro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy! 37 years old here, don't know much about technical stuff but love to ride bikes!
Old 10-25-20, 04:24 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Welcome to BF.
Where do you ride?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.