Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter/touring dream bikes

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-03, 05:07 PM
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Was in the LBS last Friday, picking up the Nokians I'd ordered. I also picked up a new Trek fleece riding shirt, really warm. So, I've been to a couple sights and have seen some information about various bikes for commuting and touring, and have been having a tough time finding a geometry that I am comfortable with. The closest I've come for the commute is the current ride, an old Schwinn steel, a little more relaxed triangle, and all that. But one of sites on the WWW mentioned Co-Motion bikes. My LBS carries them. Sweet bikes! The LBS guy also recommended a Burley, a bit cheaper.

I would really like to get a brand new bike, one that will do what I ask of it and keep coming back for more. I want something to do a big tour on, like the four corners of the US, and Paris-Brest-Paris in 07. I look at the price tag on the Co-Motion, and figure it would, hopefully, be the last bike I ever buy. I would be commited to commuting then. Although there is also this thought that I'd get a bike like that and not ride it, because of the price tag.

What dream bike would you get? If it was to be the last bike you buy for commuting/touring.
Old 12-08-03, 05:22 PM
Kodama
Quietly Desperate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rivendell Atlantis for me. Or since we are fantasizing here, perhaps a full custom Rivendell tourer (with that sweet Sage paintjob)
Old 12-08-03, 06:06 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I'd go for one of the Utopia bikes with a Rohloff 14 speed, front and rear disk brakes, and a dynohub. I'd probably go for the WanderDohle:

https://www.utopia-fahrrad.de/WanderDohle.html

Paul

Last edited by PaulH; 12-08-03 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-08-03, 07:43 PM
Desertrat

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano, Rivendell touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rivendell full touring for me. I love mine...wouldn't have any other after the enjoyment I have had with this one.
Old 12-08-03, 09:41 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My dream bike for touring would have to be the Rivendell. It's artistic, well made and simple in function.
Old 12-09-03, 11:27 PM
condor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Rivendell Romulus I just bought. Gorgeous bike; lightweight, lugged steel frame; relaxed geometry; correct size (for a change). Large frame allows drop handlebars to be raised to a comfortable height (for a change). Affordable. Check it out (www.rivbike.com).
Old 12-10-03, 05:46 PM
johann

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by condor
The Rivendell Romulus I just bought. Gorgeous bike; lightweight, lugged steel frame; relaxed geometry; correct size (for a change). Large frame allows drop handlebars to be raised to a comfortable height (for a change). Affordable. Check it out (www.rivbike.com).
Hi, is the Romulus's chainstay long enough to take rear panniers while avoiding heel strikes?

regards,
-j
Old 12-11-03, 12:03 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
I have had several touring bikes, but my favorite is my 1984 Specialized Expedition: Lugged steel frame, perfect fit, a real easy rider but if I was to buy another now it would probably be one of the Rivendale models. The only drawback to the Expedition is its still so pretty I'm reluctant to ride it much in the Winter rain & grit. Instead I commute nearly every day on a Centurion Pro Tour 15 which is of the same vintage but has the advantage of a chrome plated frame under its paint & thousands more miles on it. Don
Old 12-11-03, 12:07 AM
pletcgm

Bikes: 2002 Giant OCR 3, 2003 Giant OCR Elite, 2004 Giant TCR, 2004 Giant OCR Touring, 2003 Giant Iguana, 2004 Cannondale Ironman 800, 2005 Giant Trance 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am buying the Giant OCR Touring, because of the disc brakes. One note, I am going to change the 12-25 to 12-32 and the 30-42-52 to 24-34-48, which is the only drawback that I see on the bicycle.
Old 12-11-03, 01:02 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I guess my ultimate commuter would be something light, tough and rust-proof. Maybe an unpainted Ti touring frame. I just wonder if you can use Ti for horizontal dropouts, beacuse I would have to fit a Rohloff 14spd rear hub.
In the meantime, my Bob Jackson stays inside , whilst the old Orbea takes a daily dose of wet grime and potholes.
Old 12-12-03, 12:28 PM
marnan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My dream commuter bike would come in 2 versions. My fair weather bike would be an Independent Fabrications Steel Club Racer. Campy Chrous double crank with a rear 13-29 cassette. Add on narrow SKS fenders, a rear rack, and large trunk bag. Sweet and Smooth, Steel is Real. My foul weather commuter would be a titanium Airborne Carpe Diem set up with cyclocross specifications including tires. It would also need a nice lighting system. It would hard to ride such a nice bike in the snow, grit and grim, but this is dreaming.
Old 12-12-03, 01:33 PM
chewa
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have to be a Roberts custom built for me.

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Old 12-12-03, 02:41 PM
Corsaire
Dancing on the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much these bike run for? Any idea on:

Surly "Pacer"
Co-Motion "Northener" (?)

They look sweet and practical all around
Corsaire
Old 12-12-03, 03:06 PM
pdx_gay_guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd have to go with a Vanilla Bike

https://www.vanillabicycles.com/

This local guy in portland is making great looking commuters/touriers. I have heard that he is booked solid for a while. It's great to buy local and support local craftspeople.
Old 12-12-03, 03:14 PM
Istanbul_Tea
X-Large Member

Bikes: 2004 Rivendell Atlantis, 2004 Thorn eXp, 2004 Bob Brown Cycles Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in the process of having my dream bike made for me currently...

A Thorn eXp... you can see one HERE
Old 12-12-03, 05:28 PM
Turbonium
The Cycle of Life

Bikes: Trek 520, Eclipse Carbon, Eclipse Al, Unknown Fixie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how much does the thorn eXp go for? really nice bike!
Old 12-12-03, 06:10 PM
pletcgm

Bikes: 2002 Giant OCR 3, 2003 Giant OCR Elite, 2004 Giant TCR, 2004 Giant OCR Touring, 2003 Giant Iguana, 2004 Cannondale Ironman 800, 2005 Giant Trance 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corsaire
Corsaire
The Giant OCR Touring is $1200
Old 12-12-03, 08:41 PM
Desertrat

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano, Rivendell touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Tea...

Is the Thorn only available in England? or is there a US Importer that you can get one from?
Old 12-12-03, 08:47 PM
Corsaire
Dancing on the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Corsaire

Actually I was refering to the C-Motion and Surly bikes....How much?
Corsaire
Old 12-22-03, 08:43 PM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
If I had to chose one bike only for commuting, assuming price isn't an issue, I'd probably go with the Airborne carpe diem (www.airborne.net) as far as production bikes go. For commuting, it's just about perfect. It's light weight (ti-frame) versatile, stable, comfortable, and very fast. It's not the best option for overall touring because, the chainstays are too short, but very daily commuting you generally don't carry that much stuff (at least I don't).

A true touring bike is probably the best overall option if you only want one machine (it's extremely durable, comfortable, and versatile), but touring bikes tend to be sluggish. One exception to this is the Heron touring bike (https://www.heronbicycles.com/) or the Rivendell Atlantis (https://www.rivendellbicycles.com/). Both these bike are similar, general purpose machines that can be used for touring. Very nice bikes, but for me the Airborne Carpe Diem is a better value because it has a nice ti frame, and with similar components it will cost about the same as the lugged steel frames of the Atlantis of Heron Touring.

If cost is no object, I personally would get a custom made ti frame. If you are willing to spend well over $3K, you'll get a bike that spec'd exactly to your physical proportion (both in terms of frame and components). Here in Seattle, Davidson bicycles (https://www.davidsonbicycles.com/html/home.shtml) has an excellent rep, but there are probably good custom builders in just about any city. Personally, I just can't justify spending more than about $1500 for a bike, but that's just me.
Old 12-25-03, 03:32 AM
Istanbul_Tea
X-Large Member

Bikes: 2004 Rivendell Atlantis, 2004 Thorn eXp, 2004 Bob Brown Cycles Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"how much does the thorn eXp go for? really nice bike!"

"Hi Tea...

Is the Thorn only available in England? or is there a US Importer that you can get one from?'

Mine will run around $3,100.00 once she's finished. Thorn's are available anywhere in the world that has a shipping address! Yes, they are made in the UK but they ship worldwide. Great bike, great company!!

In the Touring area here at the forum you can find a couple threads on the 'birth' of my eXp w/pictures. The company is fantastic-besides the quality of the bike they're building me, they regularly send my pics of her as she gets ready to ship across the pond!!
Old 12-25-03, 05:02 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Hi,
I like my Carpe Diem, but my size 11 feet just barely clear medium sized panniers. If they shift a bit (which can happen) my heels rub. There are a number of options in custom steel. Waterford makes a nice touring bike; but it's slow. Their 'extended' ride model would be a better choice if you're not crossing the continent. A custom Ti bike is another possibility. Seven has an awesome reputation, and a fearsome price. I think Habanero does custom Ti for half their price. But the question was which dream bike. I would go with a top Ti campany that makes cutom frames.
Seven fits that bill, and they're close enough I could drive to the company to talk to them. I like that idea. It might be a fantasy, but I'd like to have them take the measurements; and then talk about what I want it to do over a cup of good coffee. Sounds like I ought to go to Italy for my bike, doesn't it? After it was done, I could get to know it on a long cruise through Tuscany. Yeah, that's the ticket.
Old 12-29-03, 04:29 AM
kurremkarm
I bet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Define dream commuter? Is this a bike that I would be afraid to crash or have stolen because it would be expensive to replace?

How about an old steel touring bike converted to an internal hub 7 speed with 700x35 tires, full fenders, and front and back racks.
Old 12-29-03, 06:51 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thorn have a new dream commuter bike, made of lightweight steel, and built for the Rohloff 14spd hub gear (I think on 26" MTB rims).
The dropouts are near vertical for easy and secure wheel changing, and chain tension is achieved by using a tandem style adjustable bottom bracket. Its a neat, simple and reliable solution. I want one.
Old 12-29-03, 05:37 PM
kurremkarm
I bet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Thorn have a new dream commuter bike, made of lightweight steel, and built for the Rohloff 14spd hub gear (I think on 26" MTB rims).
The dropouts are near vertical for easy and secure wheel changing, and chain tension is achieved by using a tandem style adjustable bottom bracket. Its a neat, simple and reliable solution. I want one.

That does sound about ideal. Wow! Now how much is it and where do you get one? Is the 14 speed hub very heavy?

26" mountain bike tires would be even better than 700c since you can get pretty much anything even studded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.