Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 01-18-18, 10:32 AM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

Bikes: 2014 Metrofiets w/EBO e-assist; 2007 Trek 7300; 1986 Peugeot road bike w/downtube shifters

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Beautiful morning, about 28F, clear and not too cold. Only patches of ice on the MUP. I dropped my car off at the mechanic, and used their key dropbox, then rode about 10mi to work. Absolutely lovely ride.

My wife got me a cycle computer for the holidays, which I love. My ride was 9.75 miles, and I averaged 11.5 mph. Not bad for my 38lb hybrid bike, rolling Marathon Plus tires! She also got me a Blitzu taillight, which is very nice--it's so bright! I zip-tied the bracket to my rear rack.

I bought as a present for myself the wool legwarmers and a cycling cap from Ibex (I'm so sad they're going out of business), and those are amazing as well. Wool is one of my favorite fabrics for riding. Warm, light, and breathable, and resists smelling gross. What's not to love?
Old 01-18-18, 10:42 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
And what's frustrating is when there are small areas that require the studs but most of the paths are cleared and don't (speaking for my situation!).
Yes, that's pretty common for me as well. We had our last snow on Sunday. By this morning 95% of the pavement was clear. I still rode the studs for that 5%, but it was frustratingly slow in the areas where I didn't need them.

Every spring thaw I'm tempted to switch to my hybrid and escape the slow studded tires. And it seems every spring I switch a little too early and wind up crashing on some black ice I didn't see.

They're predicting a pretty good snow this weekend, so it'll be a while before I'm off the winter bike.
Old 01-18-18, 10:51 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Yes, that's pretty common for me as well. We had our last snow on Sunday. By this morning 95% of the pavement was clear. I still rode the studs for that 5%, but it was frustratingly slow in the areas where I didn't need them.

Every spring thaw I'm tempted to switch to my hybrid and escape the slow studded tires. And it seems every spring I switch a little too early and wind up crashing on some black ice I didn't see.

They're predicting a pretty good snow this weekend, so it'll be a while before I'm off the winter bike.
My solution is 2 sets of wheels - I can switch in 10 minutes!
Old 01-18-18, 11:15 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Originally Posted by arsprod
My solution is 2 sets of wheels - I can switch in 10 minutes!
I have multiple bikes, so there's no switchover time; I just grab either the winter bike or one without studs.

My dilemma is my dislike of how much more effort/time the ride takes on studded tires. This clouds my judgement and causes me to take a non-studded bike on days when I really should be riding studs.
Old 01-18-18, 12:26 PM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
20 degree's and SW wind.. pretty easy! Still riding the studs, alot of ice out there. Tired of the handlebars and saddles on both bikes so ordered new setups today. Hopefully rides will be more enjoyable. My batteries are only lasting a day versus a whole week in warmer weather. Last year put them in the panniers time to put them back!
Old 01-18-18, 12:31 PM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
The Tuesday night forecast was for about an inch or less of snow, but the system slowed down and ended up giving us a good 4+ inches of wet snow. I had to make an early airport run Wednesday morning. I was back home by 6am and it was just starting to stick to the roads. The forecast had changed by then and it looked like a full day of snow and dropping temperatures. For N. Carolina, this meant everything shut down, including my office. No work on Wednesday, and closed until 1pm today.

However, I didn't even try to ride it as I only have skinny, non-studded tires. It's just not needed often enough to purchase winter gear here. I probably won't ride tomorrow either because I saw enough lingering spots on my way to work that don't look good for riding. The weekend should warm up enough to melt everything else off though.

From my hood yesterday morning:

Last edited by mgw4jc; 01-18-18 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-18-18, 06:12 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
40`F, light rain.
Ride was the first in a week since my bike was torn down to install new lighting. I felt a bit overdressed for the “warmer” weather. The ride home I added some extra distance since I was off when it was still light out.
Old 01-18-18, 07:01 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Always good to hear from you, Richard
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-19-18, 07:24 AM
arsprod 

It's no car Friday so I drove! I didn't do it on purpose but have several out of office appointments... still think it's funny
Old 01-19-18, 07:29 AM
mgw4jc

Slacked off on the biking again today. Just enough frozen stuff on the roads that I'd rather not risk it. Next week should be back to the regularly scheduled commuting.
Old 01-19-18, 08:32 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Coming home from work yesterday the temp was in the 30s for the first time in over a month. As a result, the MUP was jammed with people wanting to take advantage of the "nice" weather. I was still on my winter bike with the studded tires working hard to maintain 12 mph. I got passed like I was standing still by a few other riders who obviously weren't encumbered by studs.

As I was riding home I started to get some chain suck when shifting gears. I looked down and my chain was completely dry and rusted to the point where the links were sticking. I had lubed my chain before Monday morning's commute and it lasted less than four days. I don't know what chemicals they put down on the streets here but it's no wonder the components on my winter bike (and our cars) corrode so fast.

This morning it was 26°F. However the temp is projected to reach the mid 40s by this afternoon. When I rolled out of bed my body was letting me know that I'd put on a lot of miles this week (for January, anyway.) I just didn't feel like fighting that winter bike yet again, especially knowing that I was working at multiple locations today and would be putting on about 20 miles. I decided to risk it and ride my hybrid without studs.

Wow, what a difference. With hardly any effort I could hold 2-3 mph faster than I can with my winter bike using moderate effort. And that was against a 10 mph headwind. It's no wonder I loathe riding my winter bike so much.

There still were patches of ice, so I rode around them where I could and when I couldn't I just took great care to make sure I was going completely straight and not turning. Thankfully I made it with no issues. At noon when I ride across town the temp should be in the 30s so the frost will have melted and some of the icy spots should be just wet.

I keep an LED flashlight zip-tied to my helmet. I use it as an auxiliary light and as a backup if the battery in my handlebar mounted light dies. This morning I was running both lights to help keep an eye out for ice. About halfway to work the flashlight started turning itself off and on. After I got to work I messed with it and noticed that the highest brightness setting had stopped working, and if I set it to flashing mode it would only work for a few seconds before it shut itself off. This is the 4th light I've had that started exhibiting similar behavior. In this case the light is only about 3 months old. At first I thought it was because I was buying cheap flashlights, so this time around I spent money for (what I thought) was a decent one. Not sure why I'm killing flashlights so fast.
Old 01-19-18, 09:44 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I'm riding a 200 km randonnee tomorrow, so yesterday I commuted on the bike I'm riding tomorrow; just to make sure everything is working. A mile before I got home, the chain skipped one time... no big deal, I didn't think anything of it, though it did seem strange, the drive train being pretty new.

So this morning I got on the same bike and started out... got a quarter mile before I realized it wouldn't shift at all. Stopped to take a look at the derailleur, and saw that the chain was routed through the derailleur cage completely wrong. It's supposed to go in front of the upper pulley wheel, and behind the lower one; but it was behind both. Very bizarre; I couldn't think of any way this could happen. I managed to ride home, not shifting, to take a look.

Well, it turned out the bolt through the upper pulley wheel had come loose, letting the chain slip past it before it snapped back into place. Pretty easy fix, but one of those little dish-shaped bushings had gone AWOL and I had to replace the whole jockey wheel. Five minute job; but I'd already missed my train and didn't have time to catch the next one either. So this cost me about an hour total.

On the bright side, I was able to fix this at home, where I had a spare jockey wheel; had this happened out on the road tomorrow, I'd be pretty out of luck.
Old 01-19-18, 10:05 AM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

Bikes: 2014 Metrofiets w/EBO e-assist; 2007 Trek 7300; 1986 Peugeot road bike w/downtube shifters

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Yesterday morning it was a 2-skunk rodeo! I was riding along, and I saw a cute young skunk galumphing toward me. Why are they so cute?? I was able to cut over to the gravel path running parallel and give it a wide berth.

Seconds later, a second baby skunk! And that little sucker started right towards me! I was able to hop off the trail and ride on the street for a while to avoid him or her. My heart was racing!
Old 01-19-18, 10:23 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Roads are generally clear after our quarter inch of snow -- why is Atlanta hogging all the snow, dang it? But the last mile on the bike path goes through trees, so I took the longer route in via the road. And the salted bridges. What a mess! I think I'll have to rinse or wash the bike this weekend, assuming it's as warm as they're projecting.

It's good to be back on the bike, though.
Old 01-19-18, 10:44 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Drove. Was going to ride, but sick kid. He's old enough that I can leave him home alone, drive to work for the am, and then go home to get him for his MD appt in the pm. Too much to do to ride both ways though.
Old 01-19-18, 01:17 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
ugh, this cold can take itself right to hell and freeze it over as far as I'm concerned. Sick of it. Today was my first ride (of any kind) since Wednesday of last week. Last Thursday we had tons of rain, which turned to sleet and ice. I worked from home last Friday, then drove to work Monday (MLK day). Then we had another round of snow Monday night into Tuesday, and temps have stayed below freezing pretty much until today. I worked from home and then drove my wife's car in for part of Tuesday, and then again Wednesday, and then drove my car yesterday (Thursday) because it's just been too cold for me to handle a ride.

All that meant ice has been on the ground for most of the past week, which also means school has been out since LAST FRIDAY! Yep, 5 snow days + the holiday means a solid week +1 day that kids have been out of school. People have been going stir crazy, parents going nuts and kids even begging to return to school.

Anyway, temps in the 20's this morning (Tuesday night got down to single digits, some of the coldest I've ever seen in the Memphis area), and this afternoon will be 40's with a southerly tailwind.

50's and 60's this weekend (hoorah!), and I finally got my road bike back together so I've just been itching to take it for a ride with it all clean, with fresh bar tape and cables/housing.
Old 01-19-18, 02:27 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Unexpected break in the weather allowed a commute. Looks like the usual winter storm cycle has set in, though. Commutes as catch can, thru March
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-22-18, 05:56 AM
Rothaí

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
First 2018 commute. 7degC and dry.

Half way through my commute, an old man was stuck at the side of an intersection with the bonnet (hood) of his car up. Where he was stopped would be crazy busy 45mins later. This was 6am.
He thought his battery had died but that was unlikely mid-drive. I'm no mechanic! I offered to call someone for him but he had a phone with him.
The irony was he was on his way to the NCT (National Car Test....). I hope he got sorted!
Old 01-22-18, 06:05 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
52F / 11C, calm no wind. Nice to be back on the bike after two weeks recovery from my wreck on the ice. The bruises have been something else.
Old 01-22-18, 07:42 AM
mgw4jc

After a snowy week of school and work closings, I'm back on the bike this morning. We had a nice weekend in the upper 50s which melted most of the snow, but there can still be ice in the shady spots that have melted and then refroze. I avoided the MUP knowing it would have quite a bit of this.

We had nice sunrise colors this morning. I stopped for a photo.
Old 01-22-18, 08:41 AM
arsprod 

Is it summer?! 49F, rain, pretty wicked headwind - all of which is ok with me! Rain over the weekend and today has thoroughly cleaned off all the snow and ice and now my bike is well rinsed!
Old 01-22-18, 08:42 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Blizzard today. The original projections were for us to get somewhere between 12"-18" of snow beginning last night at 9 PM. At 8:30 they announced that the system had shifted south of us, and now we were only supposed to get somewhere between 2"-5". However the wind would remain extremely strong, prompting them to close the airport due to the danger of planes being blown off the runway.

Woke up this morning to about 3" on the ground with snow still falling. Temp was a very reasonable 26F, but the wind was a constant 30 mph with gusts much, much higher than that. Outside of the airport, nothing else in town was closed. So my hopes of a "work from home" day were dashed.

I left the house about 1/2 hour early expecting a really tough ride to work. I was pleasantly surprised. I put the bike in a low gear and slowly spun my way to the office. Traffic was minimal due to me leaving the house so early, and what traffic was on the road was moving slow due to the snow. The main roads had been plowed at some point during the night, so they had less accumulation. The MUP wasn't yet plowed (expected) but being virgin powdery snow and me not trying to break speed records, I easily pedaled through the snow. Some areas had blown completely clear and other spots were quite drifted. I dressed about perfect with a t-shirt and a windbreaker and my long cycling pants. The wind was strong and I was heading straight into it, but my speeds were so low anyway that it didn't seem to bother me a whole lot. Visibility was the biggest problem (hence it being called a blizzard) with the wind picking up the snow and blowing it sideways.

It took about 50 minutes for me to ride the 4 miles to the client's location, but I took my time and really enjoyed the ride. I stopped and snapped some pictures. Unfortunately the wind kept blowing my bike off the kickstand, but really that was the only downside of the commute.

Last edited by Tundra_Man; 01-22-18 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-22-18, 09:28 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
40 and damp this morning so it was a bit chilly (I know some of you ride when it's -30 like you're looking for Luke Skywalker lost on Hoth. See post above for a reference. More power to you folks who do that. I don't.)

It'll be around 55 and much drier after a sunny day for the ride home. So that'll be a WONDERFUL ride. Warm enough to not be cold. Cold enough to not break a sweat.
Old 01-22-18, 12:24 PM
mgw4jc

Funny @Skipjacks.
@Tundra_Man - Good ride. Perhaps you should name your winter bike, "Tauntaun."
Old 01-22-18, 01:04 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Lots of changes from the last few days:

Unlike last week, and even the weekend, it was warm enough for bare legs! Have to enjoy that when it happens in January.

Overcast for the first time in almost a week.

Pretty good headwind coming up from the Gulf ahead of the front. If the front comes through as expected, I'll get a headwind going home, too. Plus, the commuting panniers were a drag compared to this weekend. I figure, between the wind and the panniers, I averaged a 30 mph effort for 13 mph on the road.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.