Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Townie commute vs. Raleigh retroglide

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Townie commute vs. Raleigh retroglide

Old 08-11-18, 01:46 PM
Nyn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red face Townie commute vs. Raleigh retroglide

on vacation last month, we rented electric bikes. Now I must have one. I can’t remener the last time I was able to ride so far, for so long, have so much fun and not hurt.

I currently have an electra townie 21 and LOVE it. The electric bike we rented was amazing, but didn’t hold a candle comfortwise to my townie, with the obvious exception of the electric assist. So, of course in my shopping I am considering the townie commute. I rode it and it’s amazing.

Then we wrent to anotjer local bike store, to look at other options. The nice gentleman heard what I was looking for, and what the townie commute offers he said “that sounds like a great deal, I would buy that one”. As we talked a little more I saw a 2017 Raleigh Retroglide off in a corner. It is slightly smaller frame than the townie, and they had it marked for 1/3 the price of the Townie.

Any comments, experience or thoughts about the townie commute or the retroglide would be greatly appreciated,
Old 08-11-18, 05:37 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
If it's a 2017 model make sure you ride it enough to decide whether the extra weight of the battery on the rear rack isn't a deal killer. For me, this "tail wagging the dog" feature contributes detrimentally to the ride characteristics, but to be fair I've never ridden this bike.
Old 08-11-18, 05:55 PM
dilkes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another option, of course, is to add a kit to your Townie. I believe many have done that.
Old 08-12-18, 09:58 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dilkes
Another option, of course, is to add a kit to your Townie. I believe many have done that.

+++++

You can a hub motor wheel for ~ $200- now (gone up considerably in the last 3 months) and a battery for ~ $300 to much much more depending on how far you want to go. Amazon and eBay are good sources for lower cost units.

I have a 36V 500W front hub motor on my 1992 Trek 950 with a 36V 13Ah Li battery; it will go 28mph with minimal pedaling for more than 10 miles; and much much further at lower speeds and/or with more rider contribution (pedaling).