Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

A saddle that doesn't devour my jeans.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-18, 10:32 AM
schonnk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could anyone help me with recommendations for a saddle that is comfortable and doesn't shred my jeans? I take pride in riding my bike everyday through all sorts of east-coast weather. Hot summers, bitter cold winters. I like to wear jeans because I live in a city and usually I am riding my bike just to get somewhere. Whether it be work or going out to a bar. That being said, I don't like the idea of changing every time I get on and off my bike.

But recently, I've noticed a pattern in a tear developing in the seat of all of my jeans in the same exact spot. Just to the left of the right back pocket. I plan to improvise an inside patch to mend these weathered jeans, but in the long run, I want to swap out my saddle to prevent these things from happening again. Because my wallet is also experiencing some premature wear due to the short lifespan of my pants.

I ride a perforated leather saddle, and I think that the material of it is to blame. It is possible the profile can make contributions to the wear in my jeans too. Therefore, I am looking for a replacement saddle that doesn't share the same material as my current one and that is just as comfortable, as well as fitting my commuter needs.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-18, 10:56 AM
wernst

Bikes: 86 Nishiki Olympic Sport, 87 KHS Montana Team, 06 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by schonnk
Could anyone help me with recommendations for a saddle that is comfortable and doesn't shred my jeans? I take pride in riding my bike everyday through all sorts of east-coast weather. Hot summers, bitter cold winters. I like to wear jeans because I live in a city and usually I am riding my bike just to get somewhere. Whether it be work or going out to a bar. That being said, I don't like the idea of changing every time I get on and off my bike.

But recently, I've noticed a pattern in a tear developing in the seat of all of my jeans in the same exact spot. Just to the left of the right back pocket. I plan to improvise an inside patch to mend these weathered jeans, but in the long run, I want to swap out my saddle to prevent these things from happening again. Because my wallet is also experiencing some premature wear due to the short lifespan of my pants.

I ride a perforated leather saddle, and I think that the material of it is to blame. It is possible the profile can make contributions to the wear in my jeans too. Therefore, I am looking for a replacement saddle that doesn't share the same material as my current one and that is just as comfortable, as well as fitting my commuter needs.

Thanks!
Maybe not perforated? I rode a Brook's Flyer (a B-17 with springs) for years with jeans and never observed undue wear on them. Straight slick leather.
Old 08-19-18, 11:38 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I ride in jeans a lot, but of course, several pairs of jeans. Knees generally wear out long before seats.

Don't get a seat that is too wide (chafing of legs?).

I love the feel of Leather, but am going more towards synthetics for winter riding.

You do need a saddle that is moderately slick, rather than sticky.
Old 08-19-18, 01:05 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Slippery saddles are what you need. My Brooks B67 is perfect for riding in a suit. I expect it would do well with jeans.
Old 08-19-18, 01:14 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Even if the saddle doesn’t tear up the material, it will still damage the seat of your pants with a saddle shaped faded worn spot. Cotton just won’t hold up (long term) to the effects of cycling. Tech fabrics like nylon, poly, etc will hold up much better but with constant use eventually wear out too. I can appreciate your desire to simply hop on and ride, but if it’s more than an occasional thing you gotta know your pants will take the toll.

In my younger days I rode all the time in regular street clothes but it’s expensive to constantly have to buy new pants when the butt’s worn out. Slick saddles only help by delaying the inevitable, not ending it.

-Kedosto
Old 08-19-18, 09:06 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
What brand of jeans? Here's my jeans rant. I rode in jeans for years. Usually the knees wore out first, but it never occurred to me that cycling might be the culprit. Over the years, the same kind of jeans that I always wore have deteriorated in quality. It seems like they don't fit as well, and my shape hasn't changed. And the fabric doesn't last. Now there's always a chance that I got some counterfeit jeans, since I bought them online.

So I decided to try the cheap Wrangler jeans at Target. They fit better, are more comfortable, and seem more durable. Nothing is going to look fashionable on me at my age, so I don't care about that.

But a couple years ago I bought some quick drying synthetic hiking pants for a trip. I've found that they're even more comfortable than jeans, and more durable. A super plus is that some black goo from a filthy bike chain washed right out of them, whereas the cotton jeans would be stained forever. And also, I can now plausibly deny that I'm wearing jeans at my workplace, which has a largely un-enforced "business casual" dress code.

So I'm darn close to giving up on jeans. I can adopt the "rugged hiker" look instead.
Old 08-20-18, 08:30 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts

Thanks!
If by a "perforated leather saddle" you mean a plastic shell with foam padding and a perforated leather covering over the top, then that's probably the problem. Any kind of a hard saddle (no padding) and a fairly slippery surface should be much better. A hard leather saddle such as what Brooks makes is like that.

Your pants will still wear out, but not nearly as fast.
Old 08-20-18, 11:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Polyester blends are more durable than pure cotton...
Old 08-20-18, 01:14 PM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks!

i can't give you any long-term advice but i just switched to a Bontrager Montrose saddle that doesn't seem to "grip" my jeans.

Mostly, the saddle seems to have much less of a grip on my jeans than my old Selle Italia gel flow saddle did.

the saddle seems pretty tough so far with some very light padding. it's comfortable for me.

i hope that helps.
Old 08-21-18, 12:53 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Stop wearing jeans? Look into poly blends, carharts, prana or the like.
Old 08-22-18, 02:14 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I just wore through three pairs of Ted Baker trousers ...

https://www.tedbaker.com/uk/Mens/Clo...age=0&show=ALL

One got destroyed (knee skuffed, holes in thigh and ripped side seam) when I was run over by a van (also taco'd my wheels). I got the money for bike repairs but not the £110 for the trousers (the wheels were only £150).
Old 08-25-18, 08:53 PM
powermatt99

Bikes: Felt VR5, '85 Trek 520, '84 Trek 890

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Commuter jeans and a smooth leather saddle.
Old 08-26-18, 07:01 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Just another thought... your wallet is killing your pants. I wore holes in my pants in the same place due to my wallet, even when I wasn't cycling frequently.
Old 08-28-18, 12:38 PM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Maybe you need better jeans not a different saddle?
Old 08-28-18, 05:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
ditch clothes? https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...217297510.html