Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Are you bike commuting in very hot weather?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 04:23 PM
Townie7D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was about 95 degrees today and I still rode to work. I am lucky that I do not live far and go in very early.
Old 08-29-18, 05:05 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I ride in whatever we get in Wisconsin, which isn't that much. I start early in the morning, to get there while I'm still in the shade most of the way. I handle the heat well enough, but it doesn't get all that hot up here.
Old 08-29-18, 07:08 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I ride in the 20 miles to work in morning, but take bus on the return leg, with a short 2 mile ride home. Here the temp is in the 90’s and high humidity. I don’t handle heat well, as I run hot all the time. Once the high is < 85F I start riding back home, and enjoy our mild winters.
Old 08-29-18, 07:44 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
90F this morning in Beantown. Nice on the shady MUP, then hot on the streets into town. I use a Halo sweatband to abate the forehead perspiration, have a cotton handkerchief on the handlebars for occasional wipedowns, iced coffee in the thermos in my cage, and some cool ambient radio in my curbside earbud. When it comes to being outdoors, there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear.
Old 08-29-18, 07:49 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Yep, although it's cooling down but commuted in 35C+ (95F+) weather earlier this Summer. Dress accordingly and bring enough water not just to quench your thirst but to cool down your body, Squirting some cold water over your head while stopped at a red light does wonder to cool you down
Old 08-29-18, 08:01 PM
Rpbergie

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10, KHS Flite 200, Rocky Mountain Equipe

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Life circumstances makes it that my commute must also be a workout. Go hard, get sweaty, towel off, comb the hair, a little deodorant, change of clothes and no meetings until after I've had a chance to cool off. It works for me. Does it work for my officemates? (We've all got to put up with each other's pecadillos.)
Old 08-29-18, 08:05 PM
vol

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I'm OK with morning and evening, but around noon-2 under hot sun it is too much, and I hate putting on the sticky sunscreens, or wearing extra shirts or sleeves, so I did the unusual and took subway this week so far (except for one day, I rode under midday sun ). No need to make life too miserable for self. I comfort myself by thinking I just reduced my odds of being hit by a vehicle.
Old 08-30-18, 12:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
It rarely gets above 95F here, though it is very humid and hazy, and the air gets very dirty. So it's not enough to stop me from riding. I really don't mind riding in hot weather, or what passes for hot weather here. And sometimes I get cool breezes off the river.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-30-18, 12:04 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
It's in the mid 90s here these days. If you leave early morning and go home in late night, not big deal, but what if you have to leave or return in midday, like at the peak of the sun-baking? I thought about maybe taking train for once, but then, if there is a power out and we get stuck in the train with no air condition, how I would regret...
where is here? it has been in the mid 80-90 all week. I have ridden all week and our air conditioning is out at home. (pretty miserable at home 85 inside) i go in around 6:30 am and go home 5ish.
Old 08-30-18, 12:39 PM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
We had a couple brutal days of very high humidity and dew point. I rode very gently coming in but I still sweated a little. I keep some wet wipes at work for a quick touch up. There's nothing but a shower that helps on the way home though! I leave at four in the afternoon and that seems to be the hottest time. Since I have gotten old the heat doesn't bother me so much. The cold is a different story... yesterday the heat broke and I scrambled for a jacket this morning. I even wore a light stocking cap on the way in this AM. I dread winter coming...
Old 08-30-18, 04:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I prefer riding in hot weather over riding in cold weather.
Yeah, me too. I ride in winter, but I don't like it as much. I want to wear shorts.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-30-18, 07:05 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Not me. I vastly prefer cold weather. However, after a ride in hot weather, I can head for the beach, which is a very important consideration.
Old 08-30-18, 07:43 PM
vol

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
where is here? it has been in the mid 80-90 all week.
Here is NYC, mid 90s. I rode today, and one side of my face was baked all the way non stop, no shades.

I much prefer cold days. As long as no ice or heavy snow, winter rides was great, you almost own the road as there are no other cyclists, no pedestrians, and the drivers seem to care about your more because you seem so heroic.
Old 08-30-18, 08:18 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadKill
It's cooling down in Phoenix now that summer is about over. Today should only be about 105 for the ride home which will make for a much nicer ride than most of the last couple months.
If I didn't commute in hot weather I'd only get maybe 6 months of riding in for the year.
Yep. And today at 104F was even better with clouds to filter the sun. High unfiltered sun can add 15F to the heat index.
Never had a day I couldn't make the 12mi ride home, but that would not be possible without acclimatization.
Old 08-31-18, 03:40 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
It's in the mid 90s here these days. If you leave early morning and go home in late night, not big deal, but what if you have to leave or return in midday, like at the peak of the sun-baking?

I thought about maybe taking train for once, but then, if there is a power out and we get stuck in the train with no air condition, how I would regret...
Originally Posted by noglider
It's 94 degrees here now. Yes, I'm riding. My alternative mode is the NYC subway. The platform is hot and crowded and very smelly. I'm better off sweating and enjoying my trip.
Similarly here in Boston, I had posted to this Living Car Free Forum thread,"
Keepin' Cool on the Commute":
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
When I ride, I ride hard, especially on my minimal 14 mile commute for fitness. I do not necessarily need to be pristine at work, and with a pre-ride early morning shower, I’m fine. But if I have to wear nice clothes, I really prefer to fully shower, even after a brief slow ride.

However I have one circumstance where riding as you describe is best. Every June I attend a conference about two miles from my home, for which I dress nicely, and walk there. I recently found though, that if I pick up a heavy duty Hubway Bike Share bike, and ride (slowly), the early morning breeze of the ride itself keeps me cooler than on the walk on a warm June morning, and I get there faster.
I use the Hubway (now known as BlueBikes) so I don’t have to worry about parking the bike.The subway (and walking to and from the stops) is the slowest of the three modes (for a 2 mile distance).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-31-18 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-31-18, 08:08 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
It doesn't get super hot in Pittsburgh, but it is almost always very humid in the summer. We've had a few days in the mid-90's. I try to ride everyday. I'm a heavy sweater so it doesn't really matter if it's 70 or 90, I'll still soak through my t-shirt if I ride more than half an hour. I need to take a shower when I get in to work in the morning. I'm lucky I have that option. I also have the luxury of bringing my bike on the trolley to avoid the toughest part of my commute if I have a time crunch or if I need to arrive where I'm going relatively sweat free. If the option is available to do my full ride home, I don't let the heat deter me.