Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Finally! (?)

Old 06-17-19, 11:39 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 984 Posts
I will second @ManInBlack - congrats!! Looking strong in that photo. Trim, too, of course!

A dialed-in bike always feels really good. And for group rides, it's one less thing on your mind as you work and get faster. A little bar tape re-work wouldn't hurt (and I usually start the wind from the ends of the bars, toward the center/stem clamp), though that may be the kind that is a bit stiff and doesn't wrap around/laterally flex like standard EVA/foam tape. I've tried to work with it and have had middling success.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 06-20-19, 09:36 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Not really doing any 'official' weigh-ins while I'm in NM, as I'm away from my scale. The ancient spring scale in my folks' house is telling me I'm hovering around 240 or so... but we'll see when I get back to the house.
In the meantime, I thought I'd do part of the Tour de Taco while I'm here, and though I only planned on doing the 20 mile route this time, I cut South and added a few miles.
Strava doesn't know about the minor headwind on the way out, which made the 200 ft minor climb on the westbound leg seem a bit more stiff.
Also, my neck isn't used to holding my head up like that for a couple hours, another thing I need to re-train.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2465905932

Last edited by velojym; 06-20-19 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-20-19, 10:11 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
Also, my neck isn't used to holding my head up like that for a couple hours, another thing I need to re-train.
I know, right? Necks get stronger, but still on long rides I get tired of holding my head up. My helmet has a visor, and I discovered that it is possible for me to lower my head for a while and see through holes in the visor. That works when there are long empty stretches and I don't need to be looking far ahead all the time.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 06-20-19, 11:31 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I know, right? Necks get stronger, but still on long rides I get tired of holding my head up. My helmet has a visor, and I discovered that it is possible for me to lower my head for a while and see through holes in the visor. That works when there are long empty stretches and I don't need to be looking far ahead all the time.
I spent most of my exercise time, over the last few months, hiking some fairly strenuous and technical trails. My head was down through much of that, as in my heavier condition I was very careful about rocks and off-camber surfaces.
I don't plan on doing a lot of the longer rides in the short term, and will probably spend a few more weeks aiming for the more casual group rides, which oughta get my neck (as well as my kiester) better conditioned for riding.
Old 06-24-19, 03:15 PM
velojym

Before I went to NM, I went about switching the LHT's wheels back to it, and fitting my Chukkers to Jake.
Well, oops. My tubes all had something like 32mm stems, too short to use in those wheels. As I was close to leaving, I decided to just take the Surly with me.
While I was a little disappointed that I didn't rush to bring Jake with me, the LHT turned out to be a great bike for the roads around Clovis.

When I got back last night, the tubes I'd ordered were here, so after a bit of a sleep-in, I went down and got Jake back up to ride-able. I may strip the bike down later and do a full-on
upgrade-overhaul, but we'll be good for a while here.
While I was at it, I figured I wouldn't be using Sarge (the Paratrooper) as much for road rides, so I slapped on some Honey Badgers I had handy. At 2.2", definitely fatter than the 2" slicks I was running, and probably the biggest I'd care to run on this bike. It'd fit a little bigger, but I like a little clearance. A ride in the driveway and on the lawn reminded me that it's been a *while* since I rode a knobby MTB. The plan with this one is to take it to a nearby state park and maybe give the easy trails a try.

Jake, finally with stems long enough for these Chukkers

Sarge, with knobby tires for the first time in a long time.
Old 07-04-19, 07:14 PM
velojym

I took Jake out again today, and it felt *really* good. The old Selle Italia saddle felt like I'd never left it for over a decade.
However, my flush/lube job on the brifters may not have been quite enough, as it was missing shifts from time to time. Rather than futz with it, I've gone ahead and ordered a new set of Sora brifters to match my 2x9 drivetrain.
I didn't want to spend a bunch right now, as I figure on doing a complete re-vamp of Jake in the not-too-distant future. I just want something that'll shift my current gears for now.

There's a spur not far from home, about 3 miles away. It's a 3 mile lap out and back to a school, with no traffic during the Summer... as the school is the only thing on the road. Nearly 800ft elevation gain on the 2-lap 6.2 mile ride.
For close, quick workouts during Summer mornings, it'll be a perfect place to work my lap count up as I gain cycling fitness.
Old 07-05-19, 12:48 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Cool beans Brother!!
Old 07-08-19, 09:23 PM
velojym

I was on the road over the weekend, delivering a cat for a friend. On the way back, I'm spending some more time with my family in NM, and my folks bought a modern scale! Woot!

So, my Monday weigh-in this morning: 243.6

I've blown past my HW wager, and still on my way to 200.

Also, my brother bought another road bike, an older 105 level Schwinn Super Sport in XL, and while I did pack my Montague in the trunk, I'm planning to put a few miles on his "new" bike.
Old 07-14-19, 08:16 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

200 is a great goal!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 07-26-19, 08:28 AM
velojym

As I'm shifting my paradigm a little, having achieved my HW goal, I'm putting a bit more effort into riding, and doing a little upper body work at the same time.

I want to spend more time in the basement working on my bikes, too.

Yesterday morning, I took a 7.5 mile ride in a nearby neighborhood, and felt horribly sluggish. I figured that, since I'd ridden Jake and Martin some (JtS and LHT), the Montague's weight and fat tires were just making themselves known.
However, when I was getting ready for last night's Trample ride, I put the pump on, and found I'd only been running about 20 psi. Oops. Yeah, mea culpa there.
The bike and I did well on the ride. While it was a casual group ride or about 17 miles, with a lot of stops (no drop ride), on the return leg, I joined up with the usual breakaway group, and kept up.
Wow... this heavy folding bike, with 2" Cityhopper tires, driven by my long-neglected legs, was keeping up with a bunch of younger riders on their road bikes.
One thing that moved me ahead in even this pack... a section of cobbles that slowed a couple of them down. Sarge and I flew over this.

The downside, for me, was my complete lack of social skills. I'm the awkward guy you see standing around by himself while everyone else is talking and laughing.

As to my tinkering hankering:
Using a gift card I got for my birthday, this past Wednesday, I ordered a stem adapter (1" to 1 1/8"), stem, and riser bar for the Cannondale M500. The frame size is fine, but with the short stem and trekking bar, it's just too cramped for me. I'm also tempted to get some 520 levers and a drop bar, but that's maybe a future project.

The Ramp Rat doesn't merit much expense, being an old hi-ten road bike, but I do like it, and it has served well. I figure I'll put some gearing back on it, fenders, etc. I want to keep a classic look, so if/when I do a tweed run, it won't be too out of place.

Jake's new brifters have arrived. I just need to get 'em on and get him out on the road. I think that's all that's left on my Kona to do, unless/until I decide to do a complete upgrade.

Anyway, just wanted to toss an update of what I'm up to here. I still have a little over 40 lbs for my non-HW personal goal, but even where I am now feels MUCH better than where I was last Summer.
Old 07-26-19, 09:53 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Congrats! A good ride and not being the reason to stop is good. Hoping to catch a slow non-stop tomorrow.

Working on your own bike is rewarding, and frustrating. But also you know how to fix it on a ride...

N+1 is never a problem!
Likes For zjrog:
Old 07-26-19, 07:18 PM
velojym

One project nearly done.
I pulled the trekking bar and the old quill stem off, and installed a PD stem adapter, along with a longer stem and a 780 handlebar. Wide seems to be popular these days, so I'll give it a shot. If I don't like it this wide, I can always cut it down later.
I do have to be a little more careful going through doorways, though.
I have some grips coming sometime tomorrow, and I hope that as soon as I get back from the sci-fi fest I'll be able to mount them and go for at least a short test ride. If that goes well, I may take it on a group ride on Sunday morning.
...then, if *that* goes well, I'll go ahead and service the headset and BB. They're spinning fine now, but if I decide I like it well enough to keep around, best to be sure.

(added) Funny, this bike feels pretty light now. But, I guess that's to be expected for the most part. The only really heavy thing on there right now are the wheels, the Velocity clyde wheelset, 40r/36f spoked. Most expensive part of the bike by far.

Last edited by velojym; 07-26-19 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-01-19, 01:46 PM
velojym

Jake and I rode over the 100 mile mark for the Trek Century challenge on Strava. I hesitate to call it a real century, as it's not all in one day (or doesn't *have* to be), but where I am now, it was a big enough deal.
...especially as I'd been traveling most of the month and ended up cramming on the last week.
I had a flat last night, while knocking out the final miles, and am extremely pleased at how well the 35c Pasela TGs work with the Chukker rims. No tools needed, off and back on in a jiff. I have some narrower rubber waiting to be installed, but I'm not entirely sure I want to make that change for now. I may pick up a little bit of speed, but the ability to fix a flat this easily is awesome. I am extra careful to check the bead when I re-inflate, just to make sure it hooks up well all the way around.

As my Mavic wheels are still intact and usable, I may put the 28s on those and give 'em a try. I still need to replace the rim on the front wheel (wear groove is down, but the braking surface is still flat, not concave), but it'll be enough to give 'em a shot without playing musical-tires as much. I probably need to move that re-rim job... (that could be taken badly) up on my list, so I can get my 'good' wheels back to work.
A rim and some spokes won't be too expensive, and I've been wanting to try my hand at wheelbuilding. Under supervision for the first one, of course.

Old 08-01-19, 07:10 PM
WOT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Do you have a Strava profile link? i’d like to follow your journey there?
Old 08-01-19, 08:21 PM
velojym

Originally Posted by WOT
Do you have a Strava profile link? i’d like to follow your journey there?
https://www.strava.com/athletes/13044559
Old 08-03-19, 03:26 PM
velojym

Saturday Stroll today, in Birmingham. About 26 miles, and I was glad to have the Chukkers on Jake. In a group and riding close, with mixed bikes, often a MTB rider will just roll over a hole or other obstacle that we roadies would rather avoid.
No warning, just 'thunk!'.
I'd already planned to start using the Dale for these rides, though, and I think I'm getting closer to being able to keep up with the more traditional roadie club rides in the area.
Old 08-04-19, 01:15 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

The wide bars on the Cannondale look like wings--a good/cool thing. It will be interesting to see how the width feels compared to everything you've run before.
Old 08-04-19, 12:55 PM
velojym

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
The wide bars on the Cannondale look like wings--a good/cool thing. It will be interesting to see how the width feels compared to everything you've run before.
Huge difference with the extra leverage. In fact, too much for that bike's job, so I moved it to the Paratrooper, which is going to see me through some light trails for a bit. The narrower bars from that bike are now on the Dale, and I'm gonna give that a try as a casual group-ride mount.

Edit: I say casual, but the Dale's job is gonna be a bit more hard core. If I'm going to the city for a ride, and there's any danger (usually from newbie or distracted fellow cyclists) of damage, Dale's gonna get the job. While I think the Clyde wheelset is a bit heavy, it's just the thing to be sitting on when the riders ahead of you don't call out a pothole.

Last edited by velojym; 08-04-19 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-04-19, 02:17 PM
WOT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
You are flying, great progress!
Likes For WOT:
Old 08-05-19, 11:10 AM
ADSPRU
A. A. Ron

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
STRAVA
I'm a follower, Impressive transformation!!!

I'm 5'8" & 245 pounds +/- 10 pounds on any given day
Likes For ADSPRU:
Old 08-08-19, 08:53 PM
velojym

I had the slicks back on the Montague for my last trip back to NM, but when I installed the new stem and handlebar, I put the Honey Badgers back on.
As my wife and I may be checking out a local 'easy' trail on Saturday, I took the slicks off her Jetta edition Trek and installed some Bontrager knobbies.
I'm hoping this gets her hooked again.

Fully rigid for now, but if I like trail riding well enough, I may try to find a decent air fork better than the cheap heavy one the bike had when new.
Old 08-11-19, 12:27 PM
velojym

Downtown ride today, 20.5 miles. I'm starting to think I need to hook up with one of the local clubs and try some more 'traditional' club rides now. I enjoy most aspects of the social rides, but now I'm feeling a little physically impatient at all the stopping (no drop social rides), and could use something a bit more. This is a good thing.

It would be kinda nice if we sorta formalized a breakaway group on the return leg of some of these rides, especially the ones with more riders, but that's up to the ride leaders.

Either way, I'm riding, and that's what matters now.

I took the Dale (formerly Urkel, but not as dorky anymore) on this morning's ride, as that's what I've configured this bike to do. I wanted it to be nimble, yet fast enough, and good brakes. The 'weight-loss' wheelset is a bit heavy, but adds a level of mental comfort when riding amongst a group of folks who haven't all quite learned group etiquette. ... strong wheels good.
Only problem I had was near the end of the ride, my QR seatpost clamp slipped a bit and gradually moved me down until it became noticeable. Since I don't have that problem on my bolt-clamp bikes, I'm just gonna do that with this, too. Besides, it'll look better too.

Last edited by velojym; 08-11-19 at 12:33 PM.
Likes For velojym:
Old 08-11-19, 05:36 PM
velojym

N+1

As I'm getting to the point where I want to join some more 'serious' rides, and the fact that I don't have a 'proper' road bike, I just lowballed a bid on the Bay for a Trek frameset.
It's on its way now. I wasn't really serious about the bid, but that sometimes happens.
I have many of the parts I'd need to build it laying around in the basement, but I think I'll make it a fairly fresh build. Where I am now I'm not after uber-light and expensive components, and will probably start off with 'take-off' bits you can find cheap all over the place.
I'm gonna wait until I get the frame and give it a good look before I go and order anything. This may end up being my 'reward' bike, and I'll use some of my HW winnings to cover the build. (that is... to cover the credit card once I get my check).

I was kinda wanting to go with 105 for the groupset, and there are a bunch of bontrager take-off wheelsets floating around. I may go with Tiagra, though, as even the Sora brifters I put on Jake feel pretty good. Will post pics when I get 'em.
Old 08-11-19, 07:46 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
It comes down to what you really want to use the bike for. Truth be told 99% of riders running Ultegra and DA would be happy with 105 level gear if they were all about function over form.

For me, I chanced on my first road bike which was 2nd hand and came with Dura Ace 7700 running gear. That was a good bike and I still use most of the gear on my now permanent trainer bike. After that bike I got a great deal on a Felt running Ultegra and that was a big step up on the older DA but I would have been more than happy with 105. For my latest road bike I run a mix of Ultegra and DA gear (DA brifters because they work better than the Ultegra ones and DA cranks because I run 180s), because at the time I had the funds and I wanted something nice and to last. But the reality of that nice gear is that most of it is an overpriced wank. The consumables of chain and cassette and bearings I have always used lower Tiagra and 105 bits unless I chance on a deal on higher spec. I'm 120ish kg and saving grams on cassettes and other bike bits is just stupid (but I also know of some hefty folks who do just that). The price of those few grams is mostly coming at the cost of longevity. The smoothness of the shift changes are found in the brifters and the derailleurs and they don't know if the cassette has been to weight watchers or not.

"They" say that 105 is the level where the performance step is noticeable. My daughter's bikes have come with Sora and Tiagra and the difference in shift to my older Ultegra is noticeable. I've raced with stacks of people running Tiagra and they're not at the back of the pack cursing their lower spec gear.
Old 08-11-19, 08:19 PM
velojym

I'm going with Tiagra for this one, and I'm in full agreement with the last post.
Jake came with 105, and I loved it. ST-5500, so a few generations back now, which has a lot to do with why my new Sora brifters feel fine to me. I did swap out the rear mech for an XT shortly after I bought the bike, and of course it's still in great shape. Jake's gonna go gravel, I think.
The LHT may find its way on to the market. Not that I don't like the bike... in fact, it's pretty great on the road. I just have a lot of overlap between bikes, and if I can get a good price for it, I'd go for it. If not, I'm fine keeping it. I have a big basement.

Now just need to wait for everything to arrive, and I get to put it all together. It'll be a couple weeks or so, and I'll be doing some hilly laps and working on my base miles in anticipation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.