Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Funny heckling

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-18, 06:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Funny heckling

For the first time ever, someone yelled something out of an SUV that made me laugh. I started my ride this morning when it was just under 40 degrees with a 10 mph headwind, so I was wearing thin sweat pants with cargo shorts over them, full finger gloves, and a rather unattractive jersey/jacket over a long sleeve t shirt. My appearance was definitely function over form.
So, this guy in a SUV going the other way yells out his window at my gray-haired weirdly dressed self "Hey, sexy!". I know it's an insult, but it's just a really good one in the context, so I kind of cracked up.

So, my question is this: Has anyone else had something funny yelled at them while riding? Please no stories about the umpteenth time someone yelled" get off the road" or your witty response to that. Up to now, everything that has ever been yelled at me has been idiotic, so I want to know if there's more than one guy who's actually good at it.
Old 11-04-18, 07:05 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I haven't been heckled too much personally but I love coming up on other riders on the long climbs and say "are we there yet?" Usually good for a laugh.
Old 11-04-18, 07:25 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
While at a stop, I've been told I should wear spandex. The person happened to be someone I onced worked indirectly with.
Old 11-04-18, 08:16 PM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Chatted to some VP of DuPont who was holidaying downunder.

He offered to pay me NOT to wear Lycra
Old 11-04-18, 08:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
They could have been calling you sexy? People have all sorts of fetishes these days and maybe grey sweatpants is the new mankini

I had a car of people yell "ROADIE" at me once while I was dressed in non cycling clothes on my touring bike to pick up groceries in winter. That as far as I can think was the funniest thing that has been said. Had one guy say I wasn't allowed on the road and he kept going down from there but that ended with me running home to get another bike to chase (this happened super close to my house) because he was a private car service and thought he might be going nearby but didn't and I ended up getting some tasty onion rings instead. Way better outcome.
Old 11-04-18, 09:29 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I had a couple of girls in a convertible yell out “nice ass” As I was standing going up a hill in a beach town.

Last edited by cb400bill; 11-05-18 at 05:09 AM. Reason: you can say ass
Old 11-04-18, 09:32 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
At least they said 'nice' before it
Old 11-04-18, 09:36 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Had a guy yell "get on the sidewalk" when we were on a fairly desolate rural road with the nearest sidewalk being maybe 10 miles away. At least I assumed he was making a joke.
Old 11-04-18, 11:01 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
I had a couple of girls in a convertible yell out “nice a??” As I was standing going up a hill in a beach town.
"nice, a??"

Commas. Gotta hate 'em.
Old 11-04-18, 11:58 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
"get off the road ******"

Last edited by cb400bill; 11-05-18 at 05:11 AM. Reason: dont change spelling to bypass censored words
Old 11-05-18, 12:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Did you run over his bundle of sticks?

Last edited by cb400bill; 11-05-18 at 05:11 AM. Reason: clean up
Old 11-05-18, 12:56 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
"They went that way, Lance!" from an Explorer full of teens.

I was on a MTB and wearing non-bike t-shirt and shorts and sandals, not doing any great speed, just tooling along in the bike lane.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-05-18, 01:45 AM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
While waiting by the side of the road for a friend to catch up, two of us got passed by a pick up truck with mountain bikes on the back, at which point the passenger yelled "Get a real biiiiiiike!" We had a good chuckle out of that one

Geoff
Old 11-05-18, 01:49 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I kinda enjoy the trash-talkers and hecklers. Breaks up the monotony of some errand and commute rides.

I've had several offers to race. A few folks asked if I was cold, riding in winter. Mostly harmless stuff.

Some remarks come from street people who are often schizophrenic. One of 'em I used to see often, Wayne, was severely schizophrenic and occasionally unpredictable. He dragged around a full sized cooler on a rolling cart, with his food, beer, etc., mostly riding the bus, hanging out at bus stops along a 5 mile stretch of boulevard. He thought he saw demons and pointed to ordinary people and declared they were disguised demons, and he'd go into lurid detail about what they did to their victims, including his family. I used to stop and chat with him occasionally, until he decided I was a demon too. Last time I saw him, at a bus stop, I called out "Hi, Wayne!" He yelled "G*ddam Communist!" That was over a year ago. Haven't seen him since. He was losing weight, had fewer possessions other than the demons, and no longer towed that rolling cart and cooler. Rough life.

Funniest was the guy doing yard work who hollered "Hey, hippie!" It mostly struck me as funny because he was the spitting image of Joe Dirt, mullet and all.

Last edited by canklecat; 11-05-18 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-05-18, 04:29 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Tamiya
Chatted to some VP of DuPont who was holidaying downunder.

He offered to pay me NOT to wear Lycra
Old 11-05-18, 04:30 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Can't think of an incident when I was on my bike. But I cycled to an audiology appointment at our local hospital a couple of weeks back wearing my lycra tights and gear (it's not that local). When I entered the audiology department I held the door for an elderly Asian lady who was wearing a head scarf. As she went by she said 'Nice pins!'. Because of the head scarf I'd just assumed she was a Moslem so I was definitely not expecting that. I was so taken aback I didn't know what to say, but it did give me a good laugh. I suppose 40+ years of cycling has given me pretty good pins.
Old 11-05-18, 06:03 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Can't think of an incident when I was on my bike. But I cycled to an audiology appointment at our local hospital a couple of weeks back wearing my lycra tights and gear (it's not that local). When I entered the audiology department I held the door for an elderly Asian lady who was wearing a head scarf. As she went by she said 'Nice pins!'. Because of the head scarf I'd just assumed she was a Moslem so I was definitely not expecting that. I was so taken aback I didn't know what to say, but it did give me a good laugh. I suppose 40+ years of cycling has given me pretty good pins.
you've lost me; pins?
Old 11-05-18, 06:04 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
you've lost me; pins?
Legs.
I guess that's a UK only expression?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pins

Last edited by jgwilliams; 11-05-18 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Added definition from urban dictionary.
Old 11-05-18, 07:41 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
It's been awhile but generally whenever I hear that one they seem to suggest the road is copulating. I think that's pretty humorous.
Old 11-05-18, 07:48 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I had a pickup truck slowly pass me on a rolling country road in twilight. The passenger said, "on your left" as they passed.
Old 11-05-18, 08:07 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
while climbing a long hill on my commute home a car load of girls shouted "woohoo, keep going, you can do it!" gave me a smile & chuckle
Old 11-05-18, 08:46 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I had a pickup truck slowly pass me on a rolling country road in twilight. The passenger said, "on your left" as they passed.
Old 11-05-18, 08:58 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Once on a group ride, we were slowly approached by a caravan of cars. (We were doing 20, the cars were doing about 25) In the caravn was a British gentleman in an right hand drive Austin Healy convertible with the driving gloves, driving hat, sunglasses, the whole bit. When he gets next to us he yells: Help! I'm on the wrong side!"

It was pretty funny. It was only a little while later I thought doubly so because of the triple meaning...side of the road, wrong side of the car, wrong side of the pond, etc...
Old 11-05-18, 09:14 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
A pedestrian on an MUP yelled "on your left" at me Saturday while I was passing on her left. I assume she wanted a verbal warning from me as I was passing.

Last month a passenger in a car yelled something indecipherable out the window. I don't mind the yelling, but the car purposefully passing within a few inches from the end of my handle bar was not appreciated.
Old 11-05-18, 09:22 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Coasting down a steep hill in my best aero tuck, a pedestrian yells "Go Eddy, Go". Bike was orange & I was wearing a white cycling cap with no helmet. Had to be a cyclist who didn't feel like scolding me. Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.