Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 01:23 PM
Redpath

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amazon

Amazon just announced their picks for HQ2-split between Crystal City VA and Long Island City in Queens.
One of their requirements was good, existing, public transportation. In particular bike lanes and cycling infrastructure. They supposedly even wanted to see them to insure they actually existed.
So what did they actually get? Do these areas actually have 'good' cycling infrastructure? And public transportation?
Hoping the NYC bike commuters on this site or others that have actually ridden in these areas could shed some light on the actual state of affairs here. Thanks.
Old 11-13-18, 02:33 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I work near Crystal City, and it’s a good pick from a transportation standpoint. Live in Maryland and work in Alexandria, so one of my bike commute options goes right through there. It’s almost a crossroads of the major bike paths in the area, with easy access to the Mount Vernon Trail, Custis Trail and Four Mile Run Trail. And is just across the Potomac River from DC with four bridges available. No idea about public transportation, but it’s probably fine, as there are dedicated bus lanes and a subway stop. Northern Virginia is already a traffic nightmare, so any additional cars will not be that big a deal. Traffic is one of the major reasons I bike through the area.

Last edited by alan s; 11-13-18 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-13-18, 03:26 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
All these middle American cities prostrating themselves and what do they get? Amazon chooses the capital of finance and the capital of government. I wonder if Jeff has decided which will be Mcduck Tower and which will be the Money Bin
Old 11-13-18, 03:58 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
"Do these areas actually have 'good' cycling infrastructure? And public transportation?"

Aye, LIC-NYC is ok on both. It's a mixed residential and commercial zone.
And if the building is tall enough; nice views of Manhattan:

Long Island City, NYC by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 11-13-18, 04:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
There is a bike lane on almost every street now. We even have bike lanes where we would be better off without them, but I say that as someone who prefers mixing in with traffic. There are subways and buses and Citi Bike stations.

Citi Bike is pretty agile at putting in new stations, so when need increases, they will be there. They even have valet service at the most heavily used stations. Actually, the term is misleading. Valet service means they have an overflow cache of bikes ready to put into docks when they empty out, and move pull bikes from docks into the cache when the docks fill up.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-14-18, 07:14 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Citi Bike is pretty agile at putting in new stations, so when need increases, they will be there.
There are stations now near my goto LIC hotel that have been put in within maybe the last year or two. Seeing them always makes me think I should take Citibike over the Queensboro one day rather than the subway. And of course, subway access is plentiful around the Queens side of that bridge. It's a convenient and cost-effective area for anyone with business in Manhattan.
Old 11-14-18, 04:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Amazon's poker hand ?

Played a bunch of governments like a fiddle and got taxpayers
to subsidize their trillion dollar company.

nice dupes guys.. played it just like they planned..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-14-18 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-14-18, 04:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Yeah I'm not happy about that. There is a NY Times opinion piece about how it will destroy more jobs than it will create. And why does the richest company need subsidies? What principle does that fall under? There are companies that have become too big and powerful.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-14-18, 05:13 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Yeah I'm not happy about that. There is a NY Times opinion piece about how it will destroy more jobs than it will create. And why does the richest company need subsidies? What principle does that fall under? There are companies that have become too big and powerful.
Corporate welfare state.

He makes $191k per minute.
Old 11-14-18, 05:47 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Played a bunch of governments like a fiddle and got taxpayers
to subsidize their trillion dollar company.

nice dupes guys.. played it just like they planned..

Yup. Always thought tax abatement was a scam. I've yet to see proof, down the road, proving they were a success as advertised. Happens at every level and jurisdiction.
Old 11-14-18, 06:50 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
moderator's note: please avoid continuing the political discussion, thanks
Old 11-14-18, 09:34 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Since the projects will affect housing availability in their own immediate vicinity, the transportation situation will depend on where their employees are actually able to live.
Old 11-16-18, 10:33 AM
RHETTORIC

Bikes: Diamondback Podium 1

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Annnnddddd.... Let's get back to any bike-related topics this thread had to begin with. No politics here.

Last edited by RHETTORIC; 11-16-18 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-16-18, 09:49 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Didn't see this thread when I posted on the Northeast regional discussion forum, so I copy and paste my post there below. My main concerns are: a big chunk of tax money will be paid to Amazon, that will affect the funding for other needy areas of improvement including, perhaps, bike safety related projects. Also, how does HQ2 relate to warehouses? Does it mean there will be more trucks? Definitely there will be more traffic, and it will push the housing prices even higher in the already sky high city, seeing that the average Amazon employee salary is $150,000. I think it's ridiculous for such a big rich company to ask for NYC's subsidies. There must be a reason this was not announced before the Election Day when Cuomo was running for reelection.

Here is my post on the other forum:

There are a lot of outcries about this now. Complaints include its effect on the traffic, local businesses, the housing market, ... not to mention the subsidies Amazon will receive that come from the tax money.

According to Amazon, the cost per job for New York taxpayers is $48,000, compared to $22,000 for Virginia and $13,000 for Tennessee.
from NY taxpayers to pay $48,000 per Amazon HQ job - Story | WNYW

Something will have to make way for this, right? Would that imply less money for future cycling safety projects? OTOH I imagine most new Amazon HQ2 employees will be young people and many may take up bike commuting even though they make an average of $150,000, according to https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/13/amaz...nashville.html
Old 11-18-18, 07:37 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I listened, on the edge of my seat, to an analysis of this on NPR the other day. In addition to the points mentioned above, one of the "experts" pointed out that, historically, when a company of this size moves into an area and begins siphoning workers from other businesses, making traffic and parking a nightmare, and forcing up rents for adjacent properties, the area soon begins to lose surrounding businesses at a pace that, effectively, wipes out any "gains" that seem apparent at the beginning.

This might mean that all the worry about additional congestion and deteriorating conditions for cyclists will be moot within a few years of Amazon's opening, but it can also mean that the additional revenues the politicians are promising will go toward improved infrastructure will never really materialize. I live on Long Island, so dollars for improved bike lanes will never trickle down here from the city. But those of you who might be buying into the promise that Amazon is going to build partitioned bike lanes and provide free coffee and donuts to all cyclists on Queens Boulevard every morning should really be watching this closely!
Old 11-19-18, 04:36 PM
alan s 

I think the choices have more to do with Amazon’s expansion in Europe (NYC) and government services (DC). Bike infrastructure is probably fairly low on the priority list for site selection. Corporate PR and being a good citizen and caring about employees’ lifestyle is cover for calculated business decisions.
Old 11-19-18, 05:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
It just seems so strange for a big tech company to open office in NYC. (1) most expensive real estate. (2) is there tech talent in NYC? (3) salary is high. (4) congestion.

And sounds like an awful place to cycle.
You are showing your ignorance. We have tons of tech companies here and a primo labor pool. It's not the greatest place for cycling, but it's better than most in the US and probably a ton better than you think.

Old 11-19-18, 06:19 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
(2) is there tech talent in NYC?
Oh my, yes. NYC has unbelievable tech talent. The finance world alone drives a tremendous amount of tech, but there are also game developers, creative coders, makers, web developers, database experts, and an endless number of evening meetups on every tech topic imaginable.
Old 11-19-18, 06:21 PM
Papa Tom

For those of you outside New York, Long Island City is not in New York City proper. It's in the very congested suburb of Queens, a county just outside of Manhattan. I haven't spent a lot of time in LIC in a number of years, but I don't remember the cycling infrastructure being anywhere near as advanced as that of Manhattan. Queens Boulevard, a major thoroughfare through this area, is one of the most dangerous roads in the country, having been given the nickname the "Boulevard of Death" a few years back. And from what I remember of the Queensbridge low-income housing project, which is right next to the planned Amazon headquarters, it's not the kind of place you really want to ride or park a bicycle.

I dunno about all this. It kind of reeks of Atlantic City, which promised jobs, jobs, jobs for the locals and brought in mostly outside workers and a lot of crime and homelessness.
Old 11-19-18, 07:26 PM
bobwysiwyg

I don't wish to contradict, but Long Island City is a part of New York City. It is not in Manhattan, but New York City has five boroughs one of which is Manhattan and another is Queens. Long Island City is part of the borough of Queens.
Old 11-19-18, 08:06 PM
alan s 

I always thought the Triborough Bridge linked three boroughs in NYC, Manhattan, the Bronx and Queens. When did this change?
Old 11-19-18, 08:10 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I don't wish to contradict, but Long Island City is a part of New York City....
I thought I covered that by saying it is not in "NYC proper," but yes, Queens, Brooklyn (Kings), Staten Island, da Bronx, and Manhattan are the five boros of New York City. Generally, though, when people outside of this area think of "New York City," they are thinking about Manhattan. Sorry if I muddied the water for anybody.
Old 11-19-18, 08:14 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by alan s
I always thought the Triborough Bridge linked three boroughs in NYC, Manhattan, the Bronx and Queens. When did this change?
It hasn't changed, still connects those three boroughs.
Old 11-19-18, 10:07 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Except the Triborough Bridge is now called the RFK Bridge.

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
the promise that Amazon is going to build partitioned bike lanes and provide free coffee and donuts to all cyclists on Queens Boulevard every morning
Won't that take business from Starbucks? or maybe Amazon will buy Starbucks?
Old 11-20-18, 12:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A boat is better on that river .. Bolsonaro is their president, now.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-20-18 at 12:16 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.