Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Global Fat Bike Day 2018

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Global Fat Bike Day 2018

Old 12-01-18, 09:05 PM
GTryder

Bikes: 1993 Trek 520 Touring, 2009 Globe SF 2, 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0, 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Global Fat Bike Day 2018

December 1st is Global Fat Bike Day...some pictures from my ride

Last edited by GTryder; 12-01-18 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-03-18, 02:01 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Here's my simple edit from the Tonka Cycle GFBD18 ride -

We has three distances to pick from, I was with the long group 20+ miles, medium group ~15 miles, and short route was ~10 miles. I got to mile 10 when my rear wheel ejected for no obvious reason. The rear rotor mashed into the frame and was terribly bent. I shouldered the Pugsley and walked half a mile to a road for Lisa to pick me up with the car. We got back to the shop in time for a brat, beer, and some great local cookies.

I just got a call from the shop, the Pug is ready to go with a new rotor, no other damage

Old 12-03-18, 05:50 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
Love the sound of those knobby tires humming!
Old 12-09-18, 09:47 AM
fixedinsand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We(MARS) road 25 miles on sand roads, in the pinelands of New Jersey. Although, it was not our first time doing GFBD ride, it was the first time we did all roads. We had a lot of rain for 3 weeks before the event, so, we had to deal, but, that's all we do in the pines. Modify and adapt.
Old 12-09-18, 11:27 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
Every time, I say " I need to take my fatty in the snow". Some house chore all of a sudden becomes so important it has to be done immediately.
Old 12-13-18, 08:58 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I got to mile 10 when my rear wheel ejected for no obvious reason. The rear rotor mashed into the frame and was terribly bent. I shouldered the Pugsley and walked half a mile to a road for Lisa to pick me up with the car.
Is this that reliable Pugsley you told me about in that other thread?

Thru axles are nice...
Old 12-13-18, 09:33 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Oh fer cute! 4,600 demanding* miles and one serious mechanical. I'll put that up against any other bike.

* examples of demanding:

2018 Filthy 50 - below freezing, rain/snow/sleet

Photo credit - Markman outdoor photography Ray (in orange) is stopped with a mechanical

2017 Almanzo 100 - just above freezing, rain all day:

Photo credit - David Phillips / Spring Valley Tribune. There's Ray again in orange (621)

2018 Loppet 35K - temps never got above 0F:

photo credit - TMB

2017 solo Westside (royal) Benjamin - "royal" means riding to/from the race start, 140-mile day. I rode solo because I DNF'd on race day, conditions defeated the rider, not the bike.

Race day conditions:

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 12-13-18 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-20-18, 11:24 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Here's my simple edit from the Tonka Cycle GFBD18 ride - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV1SSMO-0cw

We has three distances to pick from, I was with the long group 20+ miles, medium group ~15 miles, and short route was ~10 miles. I got to mile 10 when my rear wheel ejected for no obvious reason. The rear rotor mashed into the frame and was terribly bent. I shouldered the Pugsley and walked half a mile to a road for Lisa to pick me up with the car. We got back to the shop in time for a brat, beer, and some great local cookies.

I just got a call from the shop, the Pug is ready to go with a new rotor, no other damage
For frig's sake. I know we've talked about eventually meeting each other, this would have been the perfect opportunity! I also rode with Tonka Cycle this year (the wife and I). We did the short group ride, i think it ended up being 15 miles. My wife struggled a bit due to an achilles injury that has been nagging her since April. I don't remember hearing about your issue when we got back though. We didn't hang out long, the wind was too chilly to just hang out in. I haven't edited my video yet though. I should probably do that.
Old 12-20-18, 01:00 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Yendor72
For frig's sake. I know we've talked about eventually meeting each other, this would have been the perfect opportunity! I also rode with Tonka Cycle this year (the wife and I). We did the short group ride, i think it ended up being 15 miles. My wife struggled a bit due to an achilles injury that has been nagging her since April. I don't remember hearing about your issue when we got back though. We didn't hang out long, the wind was too chilly to just hang out in. I haven't edited my video yet though. I should probably do that.
Too funny! We will meet in the real world, it will happen!

We moved to Hopkins in June (maybe I said that earlier) and I'm spending more time with Tonka Cycle (love that shop). I'm kinda stuck in the house right now, sick as a dog, working long hours (home-office), and holiday commitments are keeping me off the bike. Come January, keep an eye out for that dork riding a drop-bar Pug with a Birchwood jacket ... that'd be the Toad!

Looking forward to seeing your edit!
Old 12-20-18, 04:34 PM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Too funny! We will meet in the real world, it will happen!

We moved to Hopkins in June (maybe I said that earlier) and I'm spending more time with Tonka Cycle (love that shop). I'm kinda stuck in the house right now, sick as a dog, working long hours (home-office), and holiday commitments are keeping me off the bike. Come January, keep an eye out for that dork riding a drop-bar Pug with a Birchwood jacket ... that'd be the Toad!

Looking forward to seeing your edit!
We don't ride in town much, we're way out in Mayer. My wife bought her road bike at Tonka, really great people. Sorry you're not feeling well. Working on top of that is no fun. I'm hoping to get on the bike a bit this weekend. Been off for a week and I feel guilty. I'll have to scan my video to see if i spot you in that first group when you were taking off.
Old 12-21-18, 09:09 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Yendor72
We don't ride in town much, we're way out in Mayer. My wife bought her road bike at Tonka, really great people. Sorry you're not feeling well. Working on top of that is no fun. I'm hoping to get on the bike a bit this weekend. Been off for a week and I feel guilty. I'll have to scan my video to see if i spot you in that first group when you were taking off.
That's right, I forgot we have the Dakota Trail connection. Since we moved, I haven't made a ride out the Dakota, but hoping to get back out there in 2019 - it's such a great route to tons of car-free miles.