Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

In a Rut

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-18, 08:22 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
In a Rut

I'm in southeast Florida, so the temperature goes down to the high 40's from time to time. That's not too cold to ride. But I recently recovered from the flu that started with me on Saturday December 1. It took two weeks for me to feel up to par to ride, then another week to completely clear my left ear. During that time, I've also been overeating, which includes holiday treats that have been brought in to work. I'm feeling better from the flu, but I also feel like a big tub of goo. I have no motivation to get back in the saddle, and I've ridden less than 20 miles this month. I had been averaging 100/ week prior to that, which includes weeks that I didn't ride due to work obligations or vacations. I also usually write down my annual goals for the next year during the Christmas holiday break, but I have no desire to do so now. I wonder if I'm somewhat depressed that I haven't been on the bike much. I wonder if I just get on the bike for a few outings, I'll get back in the right frame of mind.

Have any of you been in a rut? If so, how did you get out of it?
Old 12-22-18, 08:39 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Pull out a different bicycle from the back of the garage or basement ... like your mtn bike, for example ... and go ride in a different place.

I'm a road cyclist, but will occasionally do trails for something different.
Old 12-22-18, 08:50 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I wonder if I just get on the bike for a few outings, I'll get back in the right frame of mind.

Have any of you been in a rut? If so, how did you get out of it?
This should work. Ride yourself out of the Rut. Have fun, enjoy a diff bike or route but just get out and spin. Your lucky to be in FL where most days are good for warm weather riding!
Old 12-22-18, 09:35 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Rapha Festive starts in 2 days. Get on it. I look forward to this all year.
Old 12-22-18, 09:47 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
I’ve had riding goals for the last 5 years. It’s a double edged sword. Making the commitment definitely pushes me to get my arse out there and once that happens, I’m usually glad to be on the bike. The downside is that I’ve also gone through rutty spells and then it feels like a friggin’ job to rack up the weekly goal. Plus, if I don’t make my goal, I beat myself up about it.

Try to ride through it. Switching out bikes and routes as others have suggested also helps. Or mix things up by taking a cross training day at the gym and apply the calories you burn to the calories expended during your weekly miles. For example: 500 gym calories + 3500 cycling calories = 4000 calories, if you calculate 100 cycling miles at 40 cal/mile. Yes, I know. Calorie measurements vary widely...
Old 12-23-18, 07:26 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I try to not take off more than two consecutive days - not everyone's rule, just my personal one. Sometimes, I just don't feel like it so I tell my self to just go around a few blocks or wherever and feel free to come home if i can't or don't want to do it. At least 9/10 times, I'll get a decent ride in. On the 10th time, I'll turn around after a couple miles but I still feel better and seem to be fine the next day.

Of course, YMMV.

Old 12-23-18, 08:31 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Pull out a different bicycle from the back of the garage or basement ... like your mtn bike, for example ... and go ride in a different place.

I'm a road cyclist, but will occasionally do trails for something different.
+1

Sometimes I will pick a familiar destination, but plan and explore a different route.

For the last seven years I have listened to spoken word podcasts in one ear while bike commuting...usually, but not always. Sometimes on a morning when I don't particularly feel like riding, the anticipation of listening to a podcast on the bike will push me to ride. I know I can listen in the car, but it feels extra special on the bike.

Eventually the endorphins kick in and I get the "Oh, yeah, this is what I was missing" feeling and I remember that I love cycling.
Old 12-23-18, 10:18 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I agree with the idea that even when you don't feel eager if you make yourself do a few miles you get into it and enjoy riding further. Another strategy is clean and tune up your bike(s), perhaps doing a few mods you have been toying with such as new tires, different bars or grips or new gear ratios, for example, and see how they change the ride. A clean bike, well lubed chain and everything functioning optimally can be such a joy to ride, especially if your ennui has let your bikes slide maintenance wise.
Old 12-23-18, 10:39 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
+1 maybe you can get lucky and find a ride group https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/ride-with-us
Old 12-23-18, 10:40 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Sounds to me like someone is in the holiday slump and eating too many starchy foods. Tresenriter has the right idea. Just pull out the bike and easily circle around the block with no intentions of going anywhere, just to get some fresh air. The endorphins will start jumping around and before you know it riding feels like the thing to do again. I also try not to miss more than 2 days at a time without logging some miles, but unfortunately, we can't always have what we want, even when we don't know what we want. Good luck to you and glad to hear you kicked a// with that flu.
Old 12-23-18, 10:55 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
+1 maybe you can get lucky and find a ride group https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/ride-with-us
The SoCal cycling contingent is a bit too soft for that, I think. I only know one other person that does the Festive in my area, and he’s way too fast and climbs way too much for absolutely no reason. So it’s solo for me, every year.
Old 12-23-18, 01:27 PM
joesch

The SoCal cycling contingent is a bit too soft for that, I think. I only know one other person that does the Festive in my area, and he’s way too fast and climbs way too much for absolutely no reason. So it’s solo for me, every year.
Same for me, solo. I only noticed a freelance and clubhouse ride both in LA and I mostly ride south in OC area
Old 12-23-18, 02:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
mix it up. join a gym
Old 12-23-18, 04:40 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
says the SoCal man

headed back to Alaska for the holidays
doubt even 25k happens,
.... 500k an ice dream ...
Old 12-23-18, 05:19 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Lethargy and laziness is a disease...The longer you stay in your rut the deeper you will sink and it will be more difficult to get out of it...Your mind is playing tricks on you...Just go out and ride like you always did and stop making excuses.
Old 12-23-18, 05:42 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
I agree with getting out of that rut as you put it , its way too easy to just do nothing I made that mistake paying for it now, you don't want to loose your momentum way too hard to get back , that's it you ever do...
Old 12-23-18, 08:32 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just push through , im in the same spot , i was easily getting 300 miles a week and im barely scratching 200. Im just low on fire . i think you just have to go back to what makes you feel happy and build layers from there .
Old 12-23-18, 10:31 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Can you bike commute to work? I find it to be my favorite way to chase the blues.
Old 12-23-18, 10:36 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mix it up! Roadie, MTB off road, and tandem. Tandem is always a blast!
Old 12-24-18, 03:25 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Hey! Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread. I like all of your suggestions. I don't have a MTB for off road cycling, but there is a gravel ride that is sponsored by my LBS. The owner said I could borrow a bike if I wanted to do it. I did it once on my touring bike, but it was way too rough for me to put that bike through that again. It's Thursday nights; maybe I'll call him during the day and ask to use one of his bikes. It's now Christmas eve morning (4AM), and I can't sleep. I have a lot of cooking to do today, but I commit to get up and ride no later than 6 AM for a bit. I'll look at Google Maps and see if I can create a new route before I go. I'll shoot for a casual 60-90 minute ride on my touring bike. I've previously felt like a baby hippo riding a bike when I've ridden my CF bike with extra weight. I don't need that negativity right now. In fact, I also commit to riding a bit tomorrow too.
Old 12-24-18, 08:23 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
With a handle like Bassmanbob it sounds like you may need to do some fishing. ...Or, basically as has been suggested, do something different.

I would also consider looking at why you are riding in the first place. Are you just riding around, or are you training for something specific. Just riding around can get pretty stale, especially in a flat place like north Florida. Maybe you need an event to train for? Something that will challenge you and cause you to stretch yourself? Or, connecting to ride with others at a similar level of fitness/interest. Everyone is different, but those things are helpful motivators for a lot of people.

And just ignore the shamer type comments. A lot of people just need to get over themselves.

Good luck getting out of your rutt BMB!

Last edited by Clipped_in; 12-24-18 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-24-18, 09:45 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I like the idea of mixing it up and doing something different. The suggestion to get out on a mountain bike is a good one. Or if that doesn't work get some cross training in. Hit the gym, hit the trails for a hike, etc. Just out and be active. Once those endorphins are coursing through your system you'll be excited to get out and ride again.
Old 12-24-18, 10:01 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
You have to just suck it up, OP. I know how you feel, but fitness/health is a huge priority. Things will get better once you start riding again..
Old 12-24-18, 02:36 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I'm in a rut too.
But I forced myself to head out this morning for about an hour.
I averaged 11 or 12 miles per hour and I didn't even break a sweat, which is exactly what I needed.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 12-24-18, 11:21 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Jump on Craigslist and go rescue a used MTB from somewhere. Say a Specialized Hardrock Sport. Good tough roomy aluminum frame poorly appointed. Should be about $75, or so. No quill stem bikes need apply.

Then do some upgrades as time an money permit. Maybe add a nice used air fork ... Maybe some + sized white walled Schwalbe Marathon tires ( ) for higher visibility when you come out of the dirt side road ...

Point being that every time you do an upgrade, you will want to ride it to try it out. And you'll try all sorts of venues to put it through its paces. Does not matter if you are hippo or not. No one can resist trying out an incremental upgrade

When you are satisfied, you now have your rough gravel bike and even swap trail bike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.