Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

R.E.I. Co-Op ADV 3.2

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

R.E.I. Co-Op ADV 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 07:38 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
R.E.I. Co-Op ADV 3.2

Anyone here have one (or even the ADV 3.1) ? Interested to know your thoughts and opinions on the ride

After test riding many 700c bikes to fill the double duty bill of moderate-load touring and 300k+ brevets (as well as an around town bike) I was pleasantly surprised (ecstatic, really) when on a whim I took the adv 3.2 for a spin.

Comfort for days but also very snappy handling given the geometry. Previously tested bikes had similar comfort, but always seemed to sag in the handling -- albeit unloaded.

The bike I test rode was already 'spoken' for, so I'll have to wait about a week for mine to arrive and get built up.

Here's the link with all the specs:

https://www.rei.com/product/122464/co-op-cycles-adv-32-bike

I'm interested to know what those who own a 3.2 or 3.1 (or anyone who's just ridden one) think about the bike.

Thanks
Old 05-20-19, 12:57 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I've got the older version, the Mazama, back when they were still Novara and 700x42 and triple cranks. I love it, to be quite honest I could sell off everything else I own besides the fat bike and be perfectly happy. It has taken over as my pretty much everything bike.

Only complaint is it didn't come with the best wheelset, but in going on two years of ownership I still haven't bothered to swap it out.
Old 05-20-19, 04:21 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for the insight

I had heard many great opinions about the 650b w/r/t ride comfort.

Now I think I have a better understanding of the term suppleness.

Just got the shipping notice from REI. If all proceeds smoothly it should be built and ready to ride by Saturday or Sunday.
Old 05-27-19, 09:42 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
You will like the brakes. They are almost as good as my Ultegra hydraulics.
Old 05-28-19, 06:29 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
You will like the brakes. They are almost as good as my Ultegra hydraulics.
Love the breaks.

And it also handles like a dream. Havent ridden it loaded...yet.

I've got a front rack coming, and on the search for a decent bag with a top pocket for cue sheets

The whole package is PERFECT. Like riding lazy-boy that stops and turns on a dime. After testing a LOT of bikes. I was beginning to think I'd have to settle for something less, and then modify

I've put 200 miles on the bike already.

The cranks at 180mm are longer than I've ever used. So I may eventually swap those out for something shorter.
Old 05-28-19, 12:17 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I have the first-and-last generation 3.1, right as REI switched out from the Mazama. The 3.2 is a bit more backpacking-oriented with better components like thru-axle, XT derailleur, and subjective 650b wheelset.
It's a great all-around machine although no match for my middle-of-the-road road bike. The versatility is amazing, you can put so many different tires on it - right now running 32mm hybrid tires for commuting but might soon upgrade to 38mm Marathons and if I decide to do gnarlier terrain again, I've read reports of someone putting 27.5x2.1in tires on it.
I've hauled my kid on the back and things were getting a bit wobbly when she started approaching the 40lbs limit of the kid seat, but otherwise it's been great. I'm still trying to get used to the seating position and the handlebar - there are a lot of positions but somehow I just can't get a favorite one. Maybe this handlebar isn't for me.
Old 05-28-19, 10:21 PM
meyers66

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
I have the first-and-last generation 3.1, right as REI switched out from the Mazama. The 3.2 is a bit more backpacking-oriented with better components like thru-axle, XT derailleur, and subjective 650b wheelset.
It's a great all-around machine although no match for my middle-of-the-road road bike. The versatility is amazing, you can put so many different tires on it - right now running 32mm hybrid tires for commuting but might soon upgrade to 38mm Marathons and if I decide to do gnarlier terrain again, I've read reports of someone putting 27.5x2.1in tires on it.
I've hauled my kid on the back and things were getting a bit wobbly when she started approaching the 40lbs limit of the kid seat, but otherwise it's been great. I'm still trying to get used to the seating position and the handlebar - there are a lot of positions but somehow I just can't get a favorite one. Maybe this handlebar isn't for me.
Hi,
The bike looks nice but I agree with the critical review about the bar end shifters. I'm writing this to understand the logic, not to start an argument. Why would you want bar end shifters on an off road touring bike? And why would you want a double crank over a triple? IMO I would want STI shifters so I don't have to take my hands off the hoods on rough conditions. And I want a triple to give me lower gears for hill climbs.
For road touring I can understand the argument for bar end shifters, i.e. some think they are more reliable.
I've had some dropped change incidents which I consider my problem. I just tighten the cable screws by hand. But I haven't had too many problems with my Tiagra STI shifters, with a triple (48/38/28) that are 12 years old. Lowest gear inch 28". TIA
If I were buying a new bike I would want a lower gear inch triple crank. Just my .02.
Old 05-28-19, 11:12 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I went into REI yesterday & took a quick look at the bike section...really seems that double cranksets are the trend for adventure/touring bikes. I think the 3.2's hydro brakes, light alu frame & wide tire clearance are big advantages. Maybe allows a wider-range rear cluster too? IMO bar-end shifters are OK esp on a drop-bar bike. For really rough stuff flat-bar with trigger shifters are ideal but most off-road is not necessarily too technical.

OTOH 2 years ago I bought a 3X9 584/650b Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon bike from REI for about the same price as the 3.2. Some tourists don't like carbon but so far it's worked great. REI never stocked that bike & now discontinued it, oh well. I've thought about upgrading to hydraulic brakes. On steep descents cable disc brakes require a big effort, hydro seems logical for loaded touring.
Old 05-29-19, 08:59 AM
autonomy

Originally Posted by AllWeatherJeff

The cranks at 180mm are longer than I've ever used. So I may eventually swap those out for something shorter.
Oh yeah, missed this one. I, too, am not too certain the longer cranks are the right choice. I also swapped out the 0-offset seat post for a 25mm-offset post.

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I went into REI yesterday & took a quick look at the bike section...really seems that double cranksets are the trend for adventure/touring bikes. I think the 3.2's hydro brakes, light alu frame & wide tire clearance are big advantages. Maybe allows a wider-range rear cluster too? IMO bar-end shifters are OK esp on a drop-bar bike. For really rough stuff flat-bar with trigger shifters are ideal but most off-road is not necessarily too technical.
Originally Posted by meyers66
Hi,
The bike looks nice but I agree with the critical review about the bar end shifters. I'm writing this to understand the logic, not to start an argument. Why would you want bar end shifters on an off road touring bike? And why would you want a double crank over a triple? IMO I would want STI shifters so I don't have to take my hands off the hoods on rough conditions. And I want a triple to give me lower gears for hill climbs.
For road touring I can understand the argument for bar end shifters, i.e. some think they are more reliable.
I've had some dropped change incidents which I consider my problem. I just tighten the cable screws by hand. But I haven't had too many problems with my Tiagra STI shifters, with a triple (48/38/28) that are 12 years old. Lowest gear inch 28". TIA
If I were buying a new bike I would want a lower gear inch triple crank. Just my .02.
I was concerned about bar end shifters as I've never had experience with them but I found that I really, really like them. It's wicked easy to drop a whole lot of gears in one go, if you're cranking uphill or holding on for dear life on rough terrain, you're going to be in the woodchipper bar ends anyway and the grip on the bar and the lever throw to down/upshift is much smaller than with an STI shifter. I found that in my experience, even if you're on the hoods, a gear change is really quick. I think that part of the reason REI went with bar ends was not just for reliability reasons, but because of the 3x MTB/Deore drivetrain. But looks like 1x and 2x are all the rage these days.
Old 05-29-19, 11:57 AM
autonomy

By the way, REI did a really great job swapping out the tape. I haven't been able to find it though but then I didn't look all that hard enough.

"​The bar tape used on this bike was made by Velo. The model number is VLT-079G. The model number for the gel (also made by Velo) underneath the tape is VLZ-042"

However, an interesting tidbit from the REI Q&A on the 3.1:

"This bike cannot accommodate a 700c wheelset. There is not enough clearance at the front fork and rear seat stays."
That's a bummer!

Last edited by autonomy; 05-29-19 at 12:02 PM.