Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

New 2007 Cross frames

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 07:49 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
New 2007 Cross frames

Hey gang, not sure if this scene cares about the latest and gratest but I was talking to the GM of my LBS yesterday and got a couple of tidbits on about to be released cross bikes. Specialized is going to release a full CF version of the Tricross which will retail for $3k including frame, fork, HS, seat post and integrated crankset (they have an integrated crank similar to Cannondale's SI system...designed by the same guy but supposedly with a few improvements). It is the S-Works Tricross.

Cannondale also has a new cross bike coming out with their new CAAD9 frame...don't know much more about it than that, sorry.
Old 08-05-06, 07:53 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Err, the IDEA behind 'cross was to use old bikes that you didn't mind breaking.
Old 08-05-06, 09:03 AM
Ih8lucky13
The Truth

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
Err, the IDEA behind 'cross was to use old bikes that you didn't mind breaking.
Not in my opinion, I say there is always room for a newer bike.
Old 08-05-06, 11:30 AM
Grizzattack
Rural Ridah

Bikes: Giant NRS, Specialized Tricross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The new 2007 Specialized Dealer catalog is in at my LBS (Lee’s: Fort Collins, CO) and I got a chance to take a peak at the all new Tricross. I don’t have all the details so I will report the bits and pieces I remember:

This years Tricross will come in three versions, Sport, Comp, and Expert. (Not sure about the S-works all carbon version I have heard about here and elsewhere?)

Frame: The Sport model very much resembles the current 2006 Sport with a Carbon fork and aluminum frame. The Comp and Expert however now includes carbon seatstays.

Components: The major change is that the Comp and Expert now have a 10-speed ultegra rear derailer with a triple crank on the front for a total of 30 gears to choose from. The comp features an array of Shimano 105, while the expert will have more ultegra goodies. The comp's Cranks are Truvativ Rouleur.

Wheels: the Comp and Expert will continue to use the same beautiful Roval Hubs that the '06 Comp offered.

Colors: The Comp is offered in “Black Sand” which resembled a matte black which looks sharp. The Sport and Expert where in matte brown and olive. I don’t remember which had which.
Old 08-05-06, 12:59 PM
xccx
+++++++++++++++

Bikes: 2 Felt F1X's, Surly Steamroller Fixed / Free, 2007 IF Crown Jewel, 2007 IF Planet X Singlespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this news nas been out for some time...here she is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cxs.jpg (97.2 KB, 422 views)
Old 08-12-06, 09:59 AM
kytyree
Legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh, did I read correctly a guy with 11 bikes is giving another a hard time for looking at new bikes? :-)

Not that I don't have a serious addiction myself but...
Old 08-14-06, 07:28 PM
mosovich

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire, Surly Big Dummy, Primus Mootry Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3k?

I'm sorry, but I think if you'd pay 3K for a cross bike, you'd be crazy. There are SO many other great frames out there for MUCH less. Plus, not trying to PO anyone, but it's a specialized. I'd much rather have an IF ti, or Hot Tubes.
Old 08-17-06, 09:56 AM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not POd, but Specialized rocks! I have the '06 Comp and I love it! Don't see how adding carbon seatstays would double the price. And I hope that it retains eyelets for racks and fenders. And as for the component changes, dunno if 10-spd is the way to go for 'cross, whether racing or just tooling around. And I really have to say I'm disappointed that the compact crank is going away. A triple? On a 'cross? Yuck...

OK, the Comp frame also changes from A1 to E5, and the seatstays also have Zertz. Man, that's one pricey ($2200) 'cross with an ugly-a** triple, which is an FSA Gossamer MegaExo, not the Rouleur.

Last edited by flipped4bikes; 08-17-06 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-19-06, 06:17 PM
Felicity

Bikes: Trek Portland (after numerous flings with other bikes)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh is showing one for 2007, the RX 1.0

Not in the store yet but they said it would be in a couple of weeks. It is on their website.
Old 08-19-06, 10:30 PM
Grizzattack
Rural Ridah

Bikes: Giant NRS, Specialized Tricross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Felicity, On which webpage did you see the tricross on?
Old 08-20-06, 11:01 PM
Felicity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh RX 1.0

Here is the bike to which I was referring:

https://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=5&itemid=352

My title line seems to have gotten chopped off so I don't think people had a clue what I was talking about!
Old 09-03-06, 01:10 AM
jeremyb

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Cervelo P3alu

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got some photos on my blog:

https://plusonelap.blogspot.com/2006/...zed-bikes.html
Old 09-06-06, 07:35 PM
trick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just looked at a Tricross Sport and that Raleigh today.

Interesting change in the Sport for this year: No more Sora STI, Tiagra instead, and an LX rear deraileur. Aside from that looks like the 06. Didn't have time to test ride it today, going back to give both it and the Raleigh a try in a week or two.
Old 09-06-06, 11:45 PM
Felicity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Liking that Raleigh...

I bemoaned fit issues in my prior posts and finally got to ride the Raleigh. Bought it. The LeMond had to go back. LeMond was/is a nicer bike components-wise (except fork and crank arguably) and love that slim steel made in USA frame but it is all about the fit and the Raleigh is sort of squished upwards and the LeMond is elongated (squished downward to continue my tech parlance). The Raleigh handle bars were a good 2" higher with the seat and standover in the same places. It was a LeMond 55 vs. the Raleigh 57. LBS guy said some serious CX racers purchased the Raleigh due the frame geometry and were going to swap over all their better components; they just happen to be built like me - proportionally longer in the leg than the torso and/or arm.
Old 09-08-06, 08:17 AM
flipped4bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trick
Just looked at a Tricross Sport and that Raleigh today.

Interesting change in the Sport for this year: No more Sora STI, Tiagra instead, and an LX rear deraileur. Aside from that looks like the 06. Didn't have time to test ride it today, going back to give both it and the Raleigh a try in a week or two.
'06 Tricrosses are nice, but speccing a triple for '07 (from compact crank) is silly, considering if you want to race the thing. Commuting with it fine, but the Sport is heavy. Another Sport owner pointed out the Fuji Cross Comp '06 as a good alternative. Lighter, cheaper and very similar spec. Check it out. I have an '06 TriX Comp, but I really wish Specialized kept the line simpler for '07, carbon frame or not.
Old 10-10-06, 01:33 PM
flipped4bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take some of that back: 2007 Tricross Comp with E5 aluminum frame/carbon seatstays with Zertz and 10-speed 12-27t, nice. Triple crank, still not nice.
Old 10-10-06, 03:55 PM
jpearl
Rabbinic Authority

Bikes: Cannondale Cyclocross, Specialized Langster, Giant TCR-C2 Composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tim Johnson has been racing his new Cannondale CAAD 9 CX with some good results so far this season. He rides for cyclocrossworld.com, and the website has a nice expose on his new rig (check out the "BOSS-bikes of the super stars" section on top of the site's homepage).

No doubt a few of these sweet new CAAD 9s and full CF Tri-Crosses are gonna end up on JeremyB's site (plusonelap.com)!!! As for my Cannondale ending up there, I'm still a couple of thousand of dollars and about 6lbs away from that.
Old 10-10-06, 04:45 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kytyree
Uh, did I read correctly a guy with 11 bikes is giving another a hard time for looking at new bikes? :-)

Not that I don't have a serious addiction myself but...
Well, while I understand the addiction, cross is ALL about the rider and almost nothing about the bike. Especially in the lower classes where you'll see some guy shouldering a 36 lb MB-2 Bridgestone up a climb kicking everyone else's ass.
Old 10-10-06, 04:47 PM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mosovich
not trying to PO anyone, but it's a specialized.
In the early days Specialized made good quality bikes. Now they are TOP quality bikes. There's NONE better in the world. That includes Trek, Colnago, Pinarello, Cervelo or anyone else you care to name.
Old 10-10-06, 08:36 PM
jpearl
Rabbinic Authority

Bikes: Cannondale Cyclocross, Specialized Langster, Giant TCR-C2 Composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
In the early days Specialized made good quality bikes. Now they are TOP quality bikes. There's NONE better in the world. That includes Trek, Colnago, Pinarello, Cervelo or anyone else you care to name.
Possibly true, but some bike manufacturers get better input from pro riders than others. Specialized does make some of the finest bikes out there, but right now, Ridley, Colnago, Kona, and Cervelo are sponsoring the best CX pro riders in the world. Not to discount the quality of the Specialized CX bikes, but this is an area where discerning riders do pay attention to.

The reality is that there is a difference between the percieved "best" bike and the "right" bike chosen after a wise and thorough search process. Not to belittle Specialized in any way, though. I too have fond memories of ol' skool bikes like the Allez and the Stumpjumper, riders like Ned Overend, and movies like American Flyers. Specialized threw thier hats into the pro racing ranks long before Trek, and were ridden by the likes of Mario Cippolini (ahh the zebra and world championship stripes of Domina Vacenze).
Old 10-11-06, 01:13 PM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd spend my money on a Van Diesel. For 3K you get a full Dur-Ace bike built by a small shop (2K gets you an Ultegra bike).

As far as Specialized being the "best" bike in the world. Maybe for box bikes they are. I'd take ANY number of custom steel frames made by a master craftsman over something made in a factory by a computer. Spend five minutes on an IF, Steelman, Vanilla, Sycip... and tell me something from a box rides better.
Old 10-11-06, 04:48 PM
knykersnatchurs
put commut in community

Bikes: 2006 Redline Conquest Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GO redline!
Old 11-15-06, 07:56 PM
txtricrossryder

Location: In Baton Rouge, Louisiana for work, but home is Texas!

Bikes: 2010 Trek 3500

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is a late reply, but I have a 06 TriCross. the bike is great and I attached a rear rack for panniers. I kinda wish I had waited a few months for the 07, but I couldn't wait and had to get into biking. I really can't say I would have used the third ring on the 07. The 06 only came as a double. Two things I really noticed a diiference in the pics is the the rear brake cable is seated differently on the 06 than the 07 and there are new zerts postioned in the rear portion of the frame that were not on the 06.

The TriCross I feel was perfect for me.

Oh yeah! I talked to the guys at Specialized. They have an accessory PDF file that has a front/rear rack kit for the TriCross for 75.00 I Like the front one. They state it will hold a 6 pack of your beverage of choice and it has a built-in bottle opener in the front portion of the rack!

Ride On!

Carvey
Old 11-15-06, 10:27 PM
ronbridal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by knykersnatchurs
GO redline!
I am really eyeing the Conquest Team. I've been waiting for one to show up on ebay in my size (48cm) A 52 popped up the other day but it went pretty fast. The seller had a buy it now for only $529 and it was sold the day it went up. I couldn't convince myself I could make it fit Looks like I'll just have to wait a little longer.