Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rivendell - an impression

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-05, 05:35 PM
velotimbe
addicted to coffee

Bikes: Surly LHT, Gunnar Roadie, Trek Fuel EX, Fisher Twenty Niner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I have always coveted a Rivendell frame, but as with most, found them out of reach financially. I also noticed many of the other things they do, and taken some advice from them.

I always wondered if they were really tried and true products, or if they were huffing too much acetylene in the back room, as some of their stuff would be on the far end of the weird spectrum.

Then I saw this on their site:
https://www.rivbike.com/webalog/tires_tubes/10054.html

My questions were all answered.
Old 02-08-05, 05:43 PM
RegularGuy
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I saw those (on the web, not in person) for the first time a few days ago. I thought, those might have been cool when I was like 11.

Grant Peterson makes good stuff with a retro-grouchy attitude. Sometimes I think he sells the attitude as much as the bikes, but the Rivs I've seen in person are fine fine bikes.

But Speedblend tires?...well, those are just kind of weird. And this comes from a guy who thinks the lugged stems are chi chi dee-luxe!

https://www.rivbike.com/webalog/handl...ape/16132.html

https://www.rivbike.com/webalog/handl...ape/16088.html

Chi chi dee-luxe would be a goodthing, by the way.
Old 02-08-05, 05:47 PM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Don't hate on the Speedblends, they nasty, BALLS-nasty!
Old 02-08-05, 08:11 PM
Noah Scape
can't member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I have been aware of Rivendell for a few years, but I really started to notice them a year or so ago when I started looking for a new frame. I ended up not buying a frame from them, but became a "member". I find them very reassuring... they believe in very same things I do. When I started paying attention to their stuff, I thought... this is the stuff I've been loyal to for years (i.e., wool, lugs, friction shifting, centerpull brakes, etc.) and now I feel like I can come out of the closet. I do think some of their stuff is a little Gucci - like the lugged stems for $200! - but I love to look at them. In bicycling, technology marches forward but the motor (humanoids) stays the same. I think Rivendell understands this and has a great appreciation for the blending of function and aesthetic. Having said all that... I think them tires is whacked!
Old 02-08-05, 11:08 PM
SteelCommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velotimbe
So, I have always coveted a Rivendell frame, but as with most, found them out of reach financially. I also noticed many of the other things they do, and taken some advice from them.

I always wondered if they were really tried and true products, or if they were huffing too much acetylene in the back room, as some of their stuff would be on the far end of the weird spectrum.

Then I saw this on their site:
https://www.rivbike.com/webalog/tires_tubes/10054.html

My questions were all answered.
These have been out for quite a while. My wife has two on her 'cross bike. She thinks they're cool. To be honest, they do not seem very weird. Weird is the lycra jersey worn by the average road cycling enthusiast. I know many non-cyclists think the tires are a good idea.

I wouldn't put them on my bikes (which include an Atlantis and a Quickbeam), but I've seen some frames powder-coated black with the Speedblends and it was a terrific combination.
Old 02-09-05, 09:43 AM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Speaking of impractical, If you break a rear spoke on most high-end bikes today, you can't even ride your bike home. That's something that will never be said about a Rivendell.
Old 02-09-05, 09:55 AM
drcrash

Bikes: Atlantis, Bleriot, Waterford,Steamroller, Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ford had the Edsel, Coke changed it's formula, and Rivendell has SpeedBlend tires. Companies, big and small, have their follies in the push for expanding sales. But despite that, Ford is still cranking out F150's, Coke brought back the classic, and Rivendell continues to make the Atlantis.
Old 02-09-05, 10:56 AM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
I think the purpose of the Speedblend tires is just for fun and not to shake up the bicycling world. Grant likes the traditional tan sidewall bike tires and the colors of the Speedblend produce tan under motion.
Old 02-09-05, 03:28 PM
Kodama
Quietly Desperate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeez, some of you seem to have lost the sense of fun surrounding cycling.

(off to go put another playing card in the spokes)
Old 02-10-05, 12:40 AM
Gardener

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, they're just having fun. I wouldn't buy those, though..
Old 02-27-05, 12:03 AM
ginsoakedboy
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been a Riv member for a while too. Generally, I think they're one of the only voices of sanity amongst the spandex-clad, "gram-shaving" knuckleheads. Sometimes, though, I think they carry the retro thing too far -- case in point, I think the threadless headsets are a genuine advance that they could grudgingly accept at Rivendell. I do enjoy the getting the Rivendell Reader and reading the articles where they bash the aforementioned knuckleads.
Old 02-27-05, 12:57 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
My impression is...I want one! There's a shop near where I work and I browse thru during lunch sometimes, they have Rambouillet and Atlantis bikes on the showroom floor, all tempting me to drop over $2k on a new ride. My last lugged bike cost only $125 though, so it makes it hard to justify the purchase.
Old 02-27-05, 08:45 AM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ginsoakedboy
I've been a Riv member for a while too. Generally, I think they're one of the only voices of sanity amongst the spandex-clad, "gram-shaving" knuckleheads. Sometimes, though, I think they carry the retro thing too far -- case in point, I think the threadless headsets are a genuine advance that they could grudgingly accept at Rivendell. I do enjoy the getting the Rivendell Reader and reading the articles where they bash the aforementioned knuckleads.
I just wish they made threadless headsets that looked as stylish! I lean towards the Riv asthetic, but I can dig modern bikes, too.
Old 02-27-05, 10:03 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
I can't see any advantage to threadless headsets. I think Grant is right much of modern cycling is useless gimmickry. And he's not in it for the money, Rivendell rarely makes a profit

My Atlantis turns heads everywhere, but I have to explain that it isn't an antique bike.

There is an interesting interview in the latest Rivendell Reader with Kozo Shimano, the president of Shimano American Corp. Definitely some differences in philosophy
between the two.
Old 02-27-05, 10:13 AM
james Haury

Bikes: Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If speedblends sell and give Rivendell a financial boost ,I have nothing against them. I might even buy some when my current set of cumbersome tires wear out.I have been a Rivendell member for 5 plus years and look forward to the reader always.Another great read if you are into folders is A to B magazine.
Old 02-27-05, 11:21 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My sister has an atlantis, she hates it. It handles poorly, she can't even drink from her water bottles it's so squirmy. (she's not lame, either.) the non-faceplate quill stem makes it almost impossible to get the bars off to box the bike for touring. She paid like $2500.

In contrast, my trek 520 cost me $650 on sale, handles great, and takes a full touring load without a problem.

I ride with a club in Walnut Creek, and a few folks ride fixed gear riv's - i think it's a love-hate thing. and definitely a (anti-) fashion statement.
Old 02-27-05, 11:44 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
the non-faceplate quill stem makes it almost impossible to get the bars off to box the bike for touring. She paid like $2500.
Bull-pucky. She can simply pull the entire stem/bar combo for shipping.
BTW, are you originally from the San Fernando Valley?
Old 02-27-05, 11:58 AM
valygrl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
bull pucky? wow how rude! san fernando - no, Yosemite. I'm a climber too, it makes a lot more sense in that context.

Her bars were cabled so tight she can barely get them off - i think she has to remove the connection to the brakes. not sure about that, though. she's really dissapointed in her bike, despite several visits to grant p. about it.

anna
Old 02-27-05, 12:04 PM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So, the real problem isn't the long quill stem, it's the short brake cables?
Old 02-27-05, 12:13 PM
valygrl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i guess you could frame it that way. the REAL problem with the bike is that it is unstable, and multiple trips to riv. have resulted in no help. the stem dissassembly difficulty is just a side issue, but i believe it's indicative of a 'retro grouch' attitude that doesn't recognize the reality that some innovations are positive. like the face-plate stem.
Old 02-27-05, 12:17 PM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Are Rivs incompatible with threadless? I thought you could still put (most) modern componentry on them, even though most owners think it ruins the intended design. I'm not trolling, just curious. I've seen Atlantises decked out with STI, for example.
Old 02-27-05, 12:48 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Her bars were cabled so tight she can barely get them off - i think she has to remove the connection to the brakes. not sure about that, though. she's really dissapointed in her bike, despite several visits to grant p. about it.
Whoever did the bike build should have put that into consideration, especially being a tour bike. I always allow enough cable lengths when building with quilled stems.
I think the Atlantis will lose its elegance with a removable face-plate quill stem, and definitely with a threadless stem....

Last edited by roadfix; 02-27-05 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-27-05, 04:15 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
I've packed my Atlantis into a bike box and had no troubles. I think her cables need to be set up differently. As to it being unstable, I am wondering at that. Mine is very stable, not squirrely at all.

You can build up a Rivendell anyway you want. Look at this one
Old 02-27-05, 04:24 PM
Dougmt

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey those tires would look GREAT on my paint color shifting raleigh... my bike looks like a rainbow trout LOL.... but once you come to a stop the fun is all over LOL
D
Old 03-03-05, 07:27 PM
SteelCommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i guess you could frame it that way. the REAL problem with the bike is that it is unstable, and multiple trips to riv. have resulted in no help. the stem dissassembly difficulty is just a side issue, but i believe it's indicative of a 'retro grouch' attitude that doesn't recognize the reality that some innovations are positive. like the face-plate stem.
Unstable? I find that very hard to believe. Even Riv's detractors would be hard pressed to make that comment. This sounds like a troll. Either that, or this person hasn't fitted the bike properly, or their body is shaped in very unusual proportions, or doesn't know how to ride. And as far as the stem issue, there are quill stems available with a face plate. But as others have said, that is simply not the problem. With enough brake cable, boxing is a cinch.

The only way to make a bike more stable than an Atlantis or similar bike is to have the bottom bracket resting on the ground, and to have 4 inch tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.