Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Buying Suggestions: Forks and Discs

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-14, 07:45 PM
rpcleary
Semi-competitive

Bikes: 2003 Trek Fuel 80, 2011 Allez Apex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking at buying a new fork and a set of disc brakes for my mountain bike this season, does anyone have any suggestions for any that are decent or a particularly good bang for your buck? I'm upgrading from a Rockshox Pilot (Upgraded other parts first, included the rear suspension) and V's. Mostly plan on doing XC, but I do periodically do light to mid downhill. Ideally looking sub $500 for the fork, but might be persuaded to put the brakes off for another year.
Old 05-05-14, 11:24 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
26er non-tapered? Looks like pretty slim picking new if that is what you need.

Brakes it is hard to beat shimano and SLX I think is the best bang for the buck there.
Old 05-06-14, 07:57 AM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
I'd say that you'd be lucky to find a new fork of decent quality that has v-brake mounts on it.

Here's a good 26" fork at a good price: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u.../rp-prod57827?
Old 05-07-14, 03:44 PM
tk1971

Bikes: Nishiki Prestige, Reign, IH Warrior, Rockhopper, Brompton, Q-Bike, Forever, Free-Ride, Dahon, Merckx Premium, Litespeed Teramo, Raleigh MTi 1000, Motobecane Fly Ti, OnOne 456, Kona Unit, Transition TransAM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw complete and ready to use sets of Shimano hydraulic disc brakes (w/ rotors, screws, levers and calipers - pre-filled with oil) for $70-80 shipped.

Amazon.com : SHIMANO BR-M446 BL-M445 Hydraulic Brake Front & Rear Black RT56 160mm Rotor : Bike Disc Brake Sets : Sports & Outdoors

Another for $80:
Amazon.com : SHIMANO BR-BL-M395 Hydraulic Brake Set Front & Rear Black RT56 160mm Rotors : Bike Disc Brake Sets : Sports & Outdoors

I figure if that's not enough stopping power after a test ride, then get a 180mm or 203mm front rotor with appropriate adapter and call it good.

As for a light XC for with the occasional grrrr... I have a RS Revelation Dual Air fork on my hard tail that I really enjoy. It's pretty light in the standard QR, but at 140mm it's a little on the tall side for XC. I've been calling my setup a AM hard tail. So far so good. On my full suspension rig, I have a 160mm Marzocchi 55 r (09) that had the Suntour cartridge converted to open bath per the Marzocchi instructions. Very plush and with a 20mm through axle, no flex at all.
Old 05-08-14, 02:26 PM
rpcleary
Semi-competitive

Bikes: 2003 Trek Fuel 80, 2011 Allez Apex

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tk1971
I saw complete and ready to use sets of Shimano hydraulic disc brakes (w/ rotors, screws, levers and calipers - pre-filled with oil) for $70-80 shipped.

Amazon.com : SHIMANO BR-M446 BL-M445 Hydraulic Brake Front & Rear Black RT56 160mm Rotor : Bike Disc Brake Sets : Sports & Outdoors

Another for $80:
Amazon.com : SHIMANO BR-BL-M395 Hydraulic Brake Set Front & Rear Black RT56 160mm Rotors : Bike Disc Brake Sets : Sports & Outdoors

I figure if that's not enough stopping power after a test ride, then get a 180mm or 203mm front rotor with appropriate adapter and call it good.

As for a light XC for with the occasional grrrr... I have a RS Revelation Dual Air fork on my hard tail that I really enjoy. It's pretty light in the standard QR, but at 140mm it's a little on the tall side for XC. I've been calling my setup a AM hard tail. So far so good. On my full suspension rig, I have a 160mm Marzocchi 55 r (09) that had the Suntour cartridge converted to open bath per the Marzocchi instructions. Very plush and with a 20mm through axle, no flex at all.
Nice! Just checked out the Shimano brakes, seems like a decent set to hold me over for a bit. My rear V dies on me, so I need to get a new set anyways. Thanks everyone!