Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

All Leather Wallet

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

All Leather Wallet

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 04:14 PM
BiketoFeel

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Homegrown, 1997 Roadmaster Little 500 track bike, 2004 Burley Rumba, 1997 Trek 730 MultiTrack, 90s Schwinn Moab MTB, 2019 DK Helio BMX, 80s Velo Sport Super Routier 12 Fixed Gear, 2000s Cannondale Touring bike, Late Model Giant TCR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All Leather Wallet

So, I know a bunch of you are Brooks saddle fans and nature lovers. I'm looking to replace my cheap, worn-out wallet with a quality natural (probably leather) wallet. Any suggestions?
Old 07-20-12, 04:45 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BiketoFeel
So, I know a bunch of you are Brooks saddle fans and nature lovers. I'm looking to replace my cheap, worn-out wallet with a quality natural (probably leather) wallet. Any suggestions?
Look for one that is pre-filled.
Old 07-20-12, 05:00 PM
Xgecko
old legs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had this wallet for a decade now.....

Old 07-20-12, 09:57 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out ccfilson.com they have really fine leather wallets. I have the money clip with space for a few cards and that keeps me from getting too much junk in there. Mine is about 8 years old and shows little wear. They are guaranteed for life so if it gives up the ghost you get a new one. They have more than this one too. Kinda pricey but worth it.
https://www.filson.com/products/leath...Product=101119

Last edited by stringbreaker; 07-20-12 at 09:58 PM. Reason: forgot to write something
Old 07-20-12, 10:03 PM
Mondo734

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Crux, Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If there is a clarks shoe store near you they have some nice leather wallets for a reasonable price. My wife bought one there, a simple one for $10-15 and it has lasted her about 2 years so far. Now that may not sound like much but the cheapie ones usually dont make it past 6 months because she leaves it in her pants in the hamper and I putting it through the laundry.
Old 07-21-12, 12:52 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
$60 for a wallet?? I have a trifold leather wallet that was given to me as a give 30 years ago. It rides in the back pocket of my jeans every day. It has aged very well. The outer tri-fold is beginning to tear, but the wallet is still usable. Xmas and Father's Day are the good times to find wallets at your local Marshalls/TJMaxx/Ross, or whatever store.
Old 07-21-12, 02:54 AM
ftimw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
$60 for a wallet?? I have a trifold leather wallet that was given to me as a give 30 years ago. It rides in the back pocket of my jeans every day. It has aged very well. The outer tri-fold is beginning to tear, but the wallet is still usable. Xmas and Father's Day are the good times to find wallets at your local Marshalls/TJMaxx/Ross, or whatever store.
Whole-heartedly agree. I go every 5 yrs. or so and buy one for about $12. Been doing that for quite some time now. You get them for about 1/2 of what they cost in another Dept. store.
Old 07-21-12, 08:41 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I got the b-d m-----r f-----r wallet from pulp fiction.. It is really a bad mama tampa too.. Had it for about 4 years. Still holding strong..
Old 07-21-12, 08:57 AM
BiketoFeel

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Homegrown, 1997 Roadmaster Little 500 track bike, 2004 Burley Rumba, 1997 Trek 730 MultiTrack, 90s Schwinn Moab MTB, 2019 DK Helio BMX, 80s Velo Sport Super Routier 12 Fixed Gear, 2000s Cannondale Touring bike, Late Model Giant TCR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by a1penguin
Agree. If it's cheap and last for 30 years and made out of natural materials -- great. But, I don't mind paying a steep price for a wallet that I'll enjoy for the remainder of my years. Only have about 40 more to go. I like buying natural.
Old 07-21-12, 10:05 AM
juggleaddict

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a sport all-ett. Really thin and the leather one feels nice. I've only had it for a little over a year. Noisy until the inside nylon stops its crinkling phase. It's held up pretty well. I don't have much to carry though.
https://www.all-ett.com/sport-wallet/
Old 07-22-12, 12:28 AM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
The best wallet, IMHO, is not leather. It's the Spec Ops THE Mini wallet. I've had one for about a year, and it's everything I wanted in a wallet. The lifetime warranty leads me to believe it'll be the last wallet I every buy.

I wanted a wallet that was both thin and that I could carry as a regular wallet, but also carry it as a neck wallet. This way, I could easily carry my wallet when I didn't have any pockets (such as when working out away from home).
Old 07-22-12, 01:12 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by adamhenry
Look for one that is pre-filled.
agreed!
Old 07-22-12, 09:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
In my panniers, Is where the pouch with a Zipper is . which does wallet function.
It has a caribiner clip on it.. I have a ring to clip it onto,
I have other pouches for the Checkbook , some folding Reading glasses,
+ a case with sunglasses in them. each clips to the ring.

On my Bike tours I wore a Money-belt under my clothes (& raingear).
Ortlieb makes a waterproof one of those.. too..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-22-12 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-22-12, 09:54 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I bought this on Etsy...great quality and feel, but a touch pricey.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClintonvilleLeather

Old 07-22-12, 10:19 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by hopperja
The best wallet, IMHO, is not leather. It's the Spec Ops THE Mini wallet. I've had one for about a year, and it's everything I wanted in a wallet. The lifetime warranty leads me to believe it'll be the last wallet I every buy.

I wanted a wallet that was both thin and that I could carry as a regular wallet, but also carry it as a neck wallet. This way, I could easily carry my wallet when I didn't have any pockets (such as when working out away from home).
"Spec OPs..." LOL... I wonder how many special operators are out in the field right now with a wallet... and have a need to open it "noiselessly." sheesh.

At least it is made in the USA.
Old 07-22-12, 12:56 PM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
my experience with tj max wallets, etc, was they consistently lasted approx 2yrs.
in 2001 I received a coach wallet as a gift. it lasted 10yrs and was just about 5x more expensive. funny how that worked out. I got another coach bc I dont like shopping. but I'm sure there are other wallets built just as well without the coach mark up. couldnt find any info about long lasting wallets online before I acquired the second coach.
Old 07-22-12, 03:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Wallets at Harley shops, leather , have chains on theirs, you clip it to your belt,
so I wont come out of your pocket at 55mph and be lost on the roadside long
before you miss it.

Etsy sellers of is small shop hand craft stuff
OTOH TJ max is China factory stuff ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-22-12 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-22-12, 07:37 PM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 2005 I bought 2 or 3 Leather Wallets form Old Nazy becasue they were like $3 each o something liek that. A year or so later I put the first one inot use after my other Walmart wallet died after maybe 3 years. Its still going strong after about 5-6 years with no signs of ripping apart so that was a great deal. The wallet I had before the Walmat one was a one I found brand new in a parking lot and nobody even claimed it so I used it for around 5 years. In the last 12 years I have spent around $20 on wallets and I have one still going strong and at least one spare.
Old 07-23-12, 07:56 AM
MK313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a cole haan slimline leather wallet. after seeing some of the other comments on this thread, i wont post how much it cost, but i really like it. It's very thin, which I like quite a bit. It holds 3 or 4 cards up front (I carry my debit card, driver's license & my passkey for work) and the back is a money clip.