Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Living in the Wrong Neighborhood

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-16, 08:18 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not sure what prompted the reading of a thread about whether a certain (more or less) entry level bike was worthwhile to begin with, but following some links therein, I ran across this perfectly lovely bike:
Raleigh Gran Prix

It's probably a pound or two heavier than my current steel bike and the group set is a level below, and of course it isn't customized, but a very cool feature it has that I lack is a breakaway travel frame. And at a fraction of the price!

If I ever doubted my vanity, I don't now. They may not quite win any prizes in "hot r not," but looking at my three bikes, I realize they were chosen 99% on account of their looks, and a hefty premium was paid on that account. Not that they cost more because of their looks, but because what I need and am capable of appreciating could have been obtained from bikes that happened to be more plain, less flashy, but good looking bikes, if I'd cared to look.

In the looks department, that Raleigh is like the girl next door - but unfortunately, I wasn't living in that neighborhood when I started bike shopping. I lived in Manhattan, and hung out with racers and other status-conscious types....

Not that I regret getting what I have, really, but that Raleigh looks so much like something that would make me happy, and it's ironic how it is more modest than what I already have for that kind of riding. The bike I need to replace is the race bike, not the 'open road' bike. (sigh)

I guess what makes me sad is that whenever I expressed interest in bikes growing up, Mom would always say Raleigh were good bikes; I didn't listen - I sort of regret that.

Last edited by kbarch; 01-16-16 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-16-16, 08:34 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Yep, I have a Raleigh Record Ace frame that I used to ride, but it was just a bit to long for me so going to have to sell it. Rode very nice, really smooth and looked great.

Old 01-16-16, 10:25 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7651 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I will graciously take all your vanity frames, to help better appreciate the Raleigh. PM me and I will send you a shipping address.

I ride a Dawes mostly, and there is No part that looks good, but I have So ... Much ... Fun .... and I cannot look at the bike while I am riding it.
Old 01-16-16, 11:09 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I will graciously take all your vanity frames, to help better appreciate the Raleigh. PM me and I will send you a shipping address.
If I sent you the Vigorelli, I wouldn't have a FG bike any more, and I don't think the Casati would fit you - it's "custom."

No joke, I'll be letting the Cosmic Carbone 40Cs go when I replace the race bike. I TOTALLY got them for the way they improved the looks of the bike, which could be a tougher sell with the original wheels.
Old 01-16-16, 12:08 PM
bigdo13

Bikes: 2013 Giant Defy, 2013 Specialized S-Works Venge, 1993 Specialized Epic, 2012 Fezzari Fore CR3, 2015 Cipollini Bond

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My father's first multi-speed (5) bike was a Raleigh road bike that his father purchased for him as a young boy.... This meant and still means a lot to my father because he still swears by the craftsmanship, ease of use, comfort of ride and aesthetic of that brand and I must say, Raleigh, by all accounts made and still makes damn good English racing bikes...
Old 01-16-16, 12:35 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Your "girl next door" line is interesting. I have nothing against my TCR, but it's plug-ugly, to my eyes, compared with my steel bikes. That Raleigh looks like bikes are supposed to, in my opinion. But then, I'm old.
Old 01-16-16, 02:16 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I've noticed some nostalgia round here toward vintage steel bikes, probably because it brings us back to our youth when perhaps we owned one of these bikes.

I'll admit I love the look of them as well.
Old 01-16-16, 04:19 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
I guess what makes me sad is that whenever I expressed interest in bikes growing up, Mom would always say Raleigh were good bikes; I didn't listen - I sort of regret that.
Keep in mind that the Raleigh bikes from your mom's era and Raleigh bikes today have absolutely nothing in common but the name.

I have a couple of Raleigh bikes from 2003-2004 and while they're nothing flashy they are 100% serviceable for my recreational fair weather cycling needs.
Old 01-16-16, 04:48 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Keep in mind that the Raleigh bikes from your mom's era and Raleigh bikes today have absolutely nothing in common but the name.
Or could it be that (aside from the shifters and dérailleurs) they have too much in common with '50s era road bikes?