Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Emonda ALR 5?!?!?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek Emonda ALR 5?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-16, 03:33 AM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Lynskey Sportive, Lynskey GR 270,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by exime
I really want that bike now! Full 105 gruppo and the color is awesome. It really connects with me as that is almost identical to the color of my Specialized Rockhopper growing up.

I wonder how light of wheels you'd need to upgrade to to make the upgrade worth it? I can't find the specs on the stock ALR 5 wheels but I'm betting they are really heavy.
The wheels are nothing to write home about. They are their generic Bontrager Approved wheelset that they put on every bike in that range. The ALR6 comes with Bontrager Race wheels which is about as low as I personally want to go. I bought an ALR6 and upgraded the wheels to Race Lite. You could also even go to Bontrager RXL wheels for a bit more. I stayed with the Race Lites because I don't like aluminum freehubs like on the RXL wheelset.
Old 01-22-16, 06:25 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4753 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by doug59
When I started shopping I was looking at the Emonda S4 as well. For a little bit more the ALR is a better deal because of the component upgrade you will get. As someone above me mentioned, incredibly light. Best thing to do is take one for a spin.
The only thing that annoys me about the pricing, though I guess it's probably typical, is that the upcharge over the ALR4 which is the same bike with Tiagra, should not be over $300 difference as it is. AS a full 105 groupset only costs $80 more than Tiagra, an ALR5 with this logic should sell for about $1400.
Old 01-22-16, 09:09 AM
Lanovran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The only thing that annoys me about the pricing, though I guess it's probably typical, is that the upcharge over the ALR4 which is the same bike with Tiagra, should not be over $300 difference as it is. AS a full 105 groupset only costs $80 more than Tiagra, an ALR5 with this logic should sell for about $1400.
Hm... You make a valid point. I just checked, and the only differences that I can see between the two bikes aside from the groupset and paint scheme are the saddle (base Paradigm vs. Paradigm Elite) and the bar tape (standard gel cork vs. microfiber grippy tape).
Old 01-22-16, 11:05 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Lanovran
Hm... You make a valid point. I just checked, and the only differences that I can see between the two bikes aside from the groupset and paint scheme are the saddle (base Paradigm vs. Paradigm Elite) and the bar tape (standard gel cork vs. microfiber grippy tape).
Yeah.. I don't know from what starting point a LBS "builds up the bike", but would be interesting query to walk in with a 105 groupset, buy the eg. ALR4 and ask them to build up with your groupset instead.. You could conceivably walk out of the store with a full spare Tiagra groupset for about the same price, or maybe LBS could cut a buy-back deal of the Tiagra?
Old 01-22-16, 11:40 AM
MCODave
A treat for the freaks!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep in mind that they do sell the ALR as a frameset only with an MSRP of $990. So if you really wanted to build it up with a group you bought elsewhere there's really no need to mess with the ARL4, unless you just loved the colors.

I have thought about just buying the bare frame, but I really like the blue on the ALR5, and could probably live with current 105, even though I would almost certainly upgrade the wheels and probably the saddle/bars/stem too.
Old 01-22-16, 12:47 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by MCODave
Keep in mind that they do sell the ALR as a frameset only with an MSRP of $990. So if you really wanted to build it up with a group you bought elsewhere there's really no need to mess with the ARL4, unless you just loved the colors.

I have thought about just buying the bare frame, but I really like the blue on the ALR5, and could probably live with current 105, even though I would almost certainly upgrade the wheels and probably the saddle/bars/stem too.
Frameset doesn't really make sense though.. at only $300 less than fully equipped Tiagra bike.. can't imagine getting a wheelset, bars, stem, saddle, seatpost, plus then you also have LBS labor then for assembly (assuming labor is included when you buy a complete bike).
Old 01-22-16, 04:11 PM
exime

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So would you not get an ALR 5 on principal of the ALR 4 pricing discrepancy? The ALR 6 is 2199 and you get lighter race wheels, ultegra, and carbon post for $520 more. Is that fair?

Last edited by exime; 01-22-16 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-22-16, 04:18 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
What ticks me off is that they don't offer any Sram groups. A Rival22 or Force22 ALR would be sweet.
Old 01-22-16, 05:06 PM
timmbo

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.9ssl (brand new 12/30/15)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, wish there was at least a Force option on some of the bikes, I loved the SRAM, but I guess I caved now and will have to enjoy Dura-Ace. Hopefully I like it better or the same as Rival I had on my last bike.
Old 01-22-16, 05:24 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by exime
So would you not get an ALR 5 on principal of the ALR 4 pricing discrepancy? The ALR 6 is 2199 and you get lighter race wheels, ultegra, and carbon post for $520 more. Is that fair?
I'm just pointing out that if one says that the ALR4 is a good value, then you have to say that the ALR5 is not a good value. Or, if you maintain that the ALR5 is a good value, then the ALR4 is a super awesome value.

To your question about the ALR6. I would say it's probably not a fair value but I can't say for sure, as I don't know anything about Bontrager wheelsets. It's $900 more than the ALR4. The Ultegra groupset accounts for $280 of that upcharge. Are the wheel upgrades and the carbon seatpost worth the other additional $620 ?
Old 01-22-16, 05:33 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Is it better than a Madone 2.3 / 2.5 aluminum frame?
Old 01-22-16, 07:36 PM
timmbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could be wrong, but to me it seems the aluminum Madone that was out for a couple years was a great marketing story. I mean, the bike at that price point with some internal cable routing and a cool Semi-aero look was destined to sell well and inject some interest in that price point. Even the new for 2013 Madone has its question marks as to whether the KVF frame really helped (they say you have to be riding at least 20mph to reap any benefits). My thought is you don't launch a new frame only to essentially replace it a few years later other than to use that new frame as a marketing tool to generate sales. I am not saying the aluminum Madones are not nice rides, in fact I have never ridden one. I did have a 2012 Trek 2.1 with Race Lite wheels, a carbon seat post, and R3 tires...........this essentially made it better than a 2.3, but it was a great bike, I really enjoyed it. What's funny is the geometry is the same as the new Emonda ALR.
Old 01-22-16, 07:56 PM
exime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Is it better than a Madone 2.3 / 2.5 aluminum frame?
Looks like the Madone 2.3 is 200 series aluminum and the ALR is their 300 series aluminum so yea.
Old 01-23-16, 10:28 AM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanovran
The ALR4 has a cheaper/heavier fork than the ALR5/6. The 4 uses a carbon fork with aluminum steerer and the 5/6 use a full carbon fork with carbon steerer. That alone can account for quite a bit of the price difference.
Old 01-23-16, 10:39 AM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Not the same bike. The ALR4 has carbon fork with Aluminum steerer. The ALR5/6 has all carbon fork, including steerer tube.
Old 01-23-16, 11:04 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Pb_Okole
Not the same bike. The ALR4 has carbon fork with Aluminum steerer. The ALR5/6 has all carbon fork, including steerer tube.
That would change the story a little bit. Seems then that Trek drops the ball on their website in not highlighting this as an Upgrade benefit or mentioning in the specs.. curious. How did you find this out btw?

EDIT: so which frameset does one get if they buy the frameset only?
Old 01-23-16, 11:08 AM
Lanovran

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
The ALR4 has a cheaper/heavier fork than the ALR5/6. The 4 uses a carbon fork with aluminum steerer and the 5/6 use a full carbon fork with carbon steerer. That alone can account for quite a bit of the price difference.
Ah, yes, you're right! I missed that somehow.
Old 01-23-16, 11:12 AM
Lanovran

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
That would change the story a little bit. Seems then that Trek drops the ball on their website in not highlighting this as an Upgrade benefit or mentioning in the specs.. curious. How did you find this out btw?

Personally, I looked at the more detailed specs available to Trek dealers, but the carbon steerer eluded me initially. As for the frameset, it's the same as that on the ALR 6, and includes the full carbon steerer.
Old 01-23-16, 11:42 AM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

I build these bikes up for a living. It was a bit of a surprise when I built the first ALR4 we got and noticed the different fork. Previously, I had only built 5s and 6s. When you order a frameset, it is the ALR6 frame. That is the matte black one, same as the 5 except for paint. The 6 is only offered in that one color, unfortunately.
Old 01-23-16, 01:01 PM
exime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's awesome news on both fronts! Makes up for the price difference from the ALR4 and is also an added bonus because from the research I've done you don't see a lot of carbon steerers at the price point of $1,600. I could be wrong. I need to get the ALR 5 before they release the 2017 colors. Surely nothing can beat that blue. What a stunner.
Old 01-23-16, 01:31 PM
MCODave
A treat for the freaks!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for confirming the all-carbon fork info, it is really hard to come by on Trek's consumer website. It makes sense you aren't getting an all-carbon fork on a $1300 Tiagra equipped bike, but they should make that more clear.

Last edited by MCODave; 01-23-16 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-23-16, 01:45 PM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Yeah, I didn't even know about it until I got my hands on one to build it up. I could have dug to find it but I have other things occupying my day.
Old 01-24-16, 12:29 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked 1,768 Times in 1,025 Posts
Yeah.. I don't know from what starting point a LBS "builds up the bike", but would be interesting query to walk in with a 105 groupset, buy the eg. ALR4 and ask them to build up with your groupset instead.. You could conceivably walk out of the store with a full spare Tiagra groupset for about the same price, or maybe LBS could cut a buy-back deal of the Tiagra?

I did this with my CrossRip for a new commuter, I bought the comp model, lowest model with disc, stripped it, put on an old 10 speed Ultegra group I had, sold the Claris group that came on the bike for $50. Worked out perfect for all involved. I recently did the same when I bought my ALR, I pulled the 105 11 speed group, moved that to my CrossRip, put my 11 speed Ultegra on the ALR. Sold the 10 Speed to a BF member. Again, worked out perfect for all involved.

Old 01-24-16, 08:10 AM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I did this with my CrossRip for a new commuter, I bought the comp model, lowest model with disc, stripped it, put on an old 10 speed Ultegra group I had, sold the Claris group that came on the bike for $50. Worked out perfect for all involved. I recently did the same when I bought my ALR, I pulled the 105 11 speed group, moved that to my CrossRip, put my 11 speed Ultegra on the ALR. Sold the 10 Speed to a BF member. Again, worked out perfect for all involved.
I did the same thing with my Crossrip. I still haven't put the Claris on anything. I have enough stuff to build up another bike with it and sell it for a couple hundred.
Old 01-24-16, 09:08 AM
timmbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are right on the money about the carbon steerer tube on the ALR 5. On the Treks you can tell by their photos which ones have the carbon steerer tub and which ones do not based the fact that the carbon steerer tube requires a minimum of a 5mm gap between the top of the tube and where the stem clamps on. The ALR photos depict this on their website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.