Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Clydesdale looking at Trek X caliber or a hybrid?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-17, 07:39 PM
Sampson63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fellow clydesdales,

Im new to the forum, but have been reading the older posts for awhile. I need to get healthier, and Ive been looking at the Trek Xcaliber 9 and really like the fit and feel of this bike...My only concern is if it will stand up to my weight... Im 6'4 and about 350. Ill be riding dirt path trails and some ground gravel paths sometimes... If i go the mountain bike route, i think ill go with the xcal9 (if you think it will withstand the weight).... that's my only question.

But what about a Hybrid? Does anyone have any experience with a Trek Hybrid they can share? It would be used on the ground gravel paths and maybe some light dirt paths... Really trying to stick,with the Trek brand.

I already visited my LBS, test drove a few, but im looking for advice from my fellow big men... All the guys at the bike shop are 5'6 and weigh 160...

Any advantages or disadvantages to either one? Thanks guys! I appreciate it!
Old 03-14-17, 08:14 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
MTB will be more durable and offer wider clearance to fit what ever tire you may want on it. Try finding decent knobby hybrid tires might be a challenge though with the gravel grinder tacking off, some decent treaded options are out there like 40c MAxxis ramblers $50each

bike fit will be different between the two as well. The 7 series hybrids are popular and well spec/built if you get the disc brake option

https://www.cxmagazine.com/review-ma...0c-gravel-tire
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 03-14-17, 11:16 PM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got the Trek Xcal when i was 340 lbs and 5'10. my intention was to buy a bike that i could ride on bike paths, some gravel, but mostly to commute to work without having to worry about me tacoing the wheels or making the bottom bracket creaky after a week. i gave that bike hell for a year and of course i rode it mostly to go to work and on bike paths and such.

i loved the hydro discs on that bike, it was a selling point for me because being bigger, when you wanna stop, you wanna stop.

but towards the end of a year with that bike, even though i'd changed the tires to something with less rolling resistance, i still felt it was too slow for me so i sold it and got a road bike instead. i'm on a felt Z85 with all 105 stuff now, but i still miss that bike. it was an awesome bike.

also the forks had a lockout on them so that when i was going uphill and stuff i could lock it up. us bigger guys tend to make the suspension bog and sag a lot more than most so that was good that the mechanic pointed that out to me, i definitely came to appreciate that feature.
Old 03-15-17, 12:17 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I have both the Trek XCal9 and a Trek hybrid. I am border line clydesdale now (6'2" at 203lbs), but I do not enjoy taking the XCal9 on the road. However, it is great in the mountains which is what I bought it for. If I only had the XCal, I wouldn't be riding as much as I'd dread the roads (2.25 width tires I think).

A used hybird is what I started with, and I'd suggest you do the same until you get a feel for what you like. I went through a few different style of hybrids before I found the style and size I liked best (fitness, no suspension). It is a lot more enjoyable to ride the hybrid on the road vs the mountain bike. Plus, used hybrids can be found cheap and will give you a starting point to get out there, even if it does not look as cool as the mountain bike.

I have now moved onto an adventure bike as I started to take 30+ mile rides and wanted to increase that.

Originally Posted by Sampson63
Ill be riding dirt path trails and some ground gravel paths sometimes...
I think a Trek FX can handle your size (confirm first), but it really comes down to how much will you be riding these dirt and gravel paths. The hybrid can take them, but it may get tiring if you ride them in long stretches.
Old 03-15-17, 08:04 AM
Sampson63

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What hybrid did you end up getting? Thanks!
Old 03-15-17, 09:36 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
The hybrid I ended up keeping is the Trek FX 7.2.
Old 03-15-17, 10:24 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Sampson63
Fellow clydesdales,

Im new to the forum, but have been reading the older posts for awhile. I need to get healthier, and Ive been looking at the Trek Xcaliber 9 and really like the fit and feel of this bike...My only concern is if it will stand up to my weight... Im 6'4 and about 350. Ill be riding dirt path trails and some ground gravel paths sometimes... If i go the mountain bike route, i think ill go with the xcal9 (if you think it will withstand the weight).... that's my only question.

But what about a Hybrid? Does anyone have any experience with a Trek Hybrid they can share? It would be used on the ground gravel paths and maybe some light dirt paths... Really trying to stick,with the Trek brand.

I already visited my LBS, test drove a few, but im looking for advice from my fellow big men... All the guys at the bike shop are 5'6 and weigh 160...

Any advantages or disadvantages to either one? Thanks guys! I appreciate it!
If your budget will allow for it, look at the Giant Toughroad SLR 2.

As a 400lb Clyde, I can confirm that it is an awesome bike.

You will need to change the saddle though, have a look at Specialized's The Cup.
Old 03-15-17, 12:58 PM
Sampson63

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great feedback, i appreciate hearing this from you... I wont be commuting anywhere on it so i think it should pair well with me and what I want to use it for... how about the xcal on the trails and gravel paths? if you stuck with it on those surfaces only, would you have kept it?
Old 03-24-17, 07:03 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
I have an x-caliber 8 and it is a nice bike. I had a Trek 7300 for many years, put something like 5K on it, rebuilt it at some point with all XT parts because....well why not. . I started at 375 and rode it down to 175. Used it as a commuter for a long time. I replaced it for a Trek CrossRip, which I just converted to a Flatbar 1x11 setup. The frames will be fine, the hybrid wheels are where you will need watch out for.

I think either bike will serve you fine.