Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why I immerse my chains in solvent instead of wiping them

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why I immerse my chains in solvent instead of wiping them

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-17, 07:50 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
I clean my chain after every ride with White Lightning Clean Streak. It's a combination of solvent and force to get the particles out. It's kind of an expensive approach, but it works pretty well and I don't have to remove the chain (which is no big deal to do, just more time consuming.) Then, of course, I lube the chain, wiping off all excess. I hate it when my bike sounds like D Bo's beach cruiser!
Old 11-21-17, 08:01 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Some people might consider this a tad OCD. Do you drive a car? How often do you dismantle and flush the bottom end of the engine?

I bet there's a treatment for this. Do they still do electro-shock therapy?
Magnetic drain plug on my truck, never seen a particle on it that was visible to the naked eye. 140,000 miles, regular oil
Old 11-21-17, 08:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
What's the relative benefit though of doing this immersion thing, vs just a wipe-down with a rag that's been soaked in OMS before re-lubing? What you need to do, is an experiment where you have 2 clean rags (weigh each one) and then scale weigh after cleaning the chain (rag1) vs. magnet (rag2) (after OMS has evaporated). The difficulty lies though in starting with equally dirty chains..
Old 11-21-17, 08:07 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
I get it. It's not a waste of your time if you enjoy it. I used to.

For me, the mileage has taken its toll in terms of having any interest in or energy for more than minimum bike cleaning and maintenance. I lost that passion, unfortunately.

I get that. I've learned to do most of the basic maintenance on my bike, switching cassettes, shift cables, BB's, chains, pulling cranksets, etc.
I'll admit a certain satisfaction in knowing how to, and doing some repairs & maintenance. I even admit that CAN add something to the overall cycling experience.

Dinking around with a nasty greasy $30 chain to get a few more miles out of it lost its allure long ago. A quick wiped down and re-lube is about the best it's getting from me. I'll just buy a new chain in a few thousand miles.
Old 11-21-17, 08:10 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
It's possible that it is a waste of time. If it only extended chain life by 10%, for instance, then that's like $3.50 worth of a $35 chain. How much is my time worth?
This is a good way to look at it. Even if it triples chain life . . . not sure it's worth it.
Old 11-21-17, 08:13 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
There is a not-insignificant portion of the woodworking community that has more of an interest in refurbishing old tools rather than putting those tools to use. I went through that phase for a bit.
Old 11-21-17, 08:17 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
There is a not-insignificant portion of the woodworking community that has more of an interest in refurbishing old tools rather than putting those tools to use. I went through that phase for a bit.
I used to design/build furniture, cabinets, and shutters as a hobby, too.

No desire for the last decade.
Old 11-21-17, 08:18 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
With a KMC Master Link, and the correct tool, that chain can be off in 10-15 seconds.

If you leave the chain on and clean it, not only does it do a terrible job of removing gunk and grit, but it drips filthy solvent all over your cassette, rear wheel and tire, chainstay, and crankset. Which takes time to clean up.

Sorry, but I'm really not seeing the downside here, it seems to me that this is the way to go, results-wise and time-wise.
Old 11-21-17, 08:20 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I'd worry more about letting that solvent soak through the paper towel and causing spots to appear on your floor. The OCD will get to you as you see the spots from across the room. You will end up cleaning the whole floor. That's a lot more time/effort and a bottle of floor cleaner. Not much savings there.
Old 11-21-17, 08:32 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I believe in bike maintenance, but if I did this to my chain every 150 miles, I would be doing it once or twice a week. I would probably cause more wear and slack by installing and removing the connecting link than I was saving by the OCD maintenance routine.

I know this will shock and horrify . . . I ride over 7,500 miles per year. I ride rain or shine. I lube a chain (on the bike) about every 2,500 to 3,000 miles. Chain works great. On its birthday, I replace chain and cassette, just because. (Gives you cold chills, doesn't it?)

Roller chains are incredibly robust pieces of kit. They are used in industrial, agricultural, and automotive applications that exert vastly greater loading and speeds than a bicycle can ever conceive -- and they last for years in those applications. (In truth, I probably replace mine a lot more frequently than necessary.)
Yes, this just about describes my usual routine as well. Don't really keep track of how often I add lubricant but I think it averages more often than your 2500 miles. And at the annual chain replacement I have a cassette ready to go but only change it if the chain ends up skipping on the old one - about half the time it does.
Old 11-21-17, 08:38 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
I believe in bike maintenance, but if I did this to my chain every 150 miles, I would be doing it once or twice a week. I would probably cause more wear and slack by installing and removing the connecting link than I was saving by the OCD maintenance routine.

I know this will shock and horrify . . . I ride over 7,500 miles per year. I ride rain or shine. I lube a chain (on the bike) about every 2,500 to 3,000 miles. Chain works great. On its birthday, I replace chain and cassette, just because. (Gives you cold chills, doesn't it?)

Roller chains are incredibly robust pieces of kit. They are used in industrial, agricultural, and automotive applications that exert vastly greater loading and speeds than a bicycle can ever conceive -- and they last for years in those applications. (In truth, I probably replace mine a lot more frequently than necessary.)
Lube every 2500 to 3000 miles? That is after you chuck it in the bin? I have a feeling these statements are a tad inaccurate?
Old 11-21-17, 09:06 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts

For me, the mileage has taken its toll in terms of having any interest in or energy for more than minimum bike cleaning and maintenance. I lost that passion, unfortunately.
I hear you. As one who would try and keep his bike as clean as possible, I find that urge slowly going away and I find myself looking at my bikes in a more utilitarian way. More of a "this thing is used to get from point A to point B attitude. I'm starting to put fenders and racks on most of my bikes. If it will accomplish what I need, then the bike is in great condition. As far as this thread goes... although I do clean my chain regularly I don't worry about it. The SRAM chains I use only cost $19.
Old 11-21-17, 09:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,527 Times in 7,325 Posts
I used to be a dick to people on forums when I was new, too. Then I grew up (a little).

Debatable.
Old 11-21-17, 09:27 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
My drivetrain is currently filthy, but I'll probably continue to ignore it and just replace the chain in the spring again.
Old 11-21-17, 09:46 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Lube every 2500 to 3000 miles? That is after you chuck it in the bin? I have a feeling these statements are a tad inaccurate?

Dan, only an idiot trusts his feelings over objective truth. Experience would serve you well.
Old 11-21-17, 09:58 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Im sure you ride in the same club as the other guy that, according to him self, regularly gets 19.000 miles off of a chain :-) Im sure he has lots more "experience" than I, too. Happy riding
Old 11-21-17, 09:59 AM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Dan, only an idiot trusts his feelings over objective truth. Experience would serve you well.
I too thought that 2500-3000 mile intervals between lubes would be uncommonly long. I ride in Tucson which is easy on drivetrains, and I am guessing that I get squeaks starting around 300-450 miles with a few different lubes. Those squeaks bug me, so I try to relube before they begin.

Hey, whatever works.
Old 11-21-17, 10:08 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob
I too thought that 2500-3000 mile intervals between lubes would be uncommonly long. I ride in Tucson which is easy on drivetrains, and I am guessing that I get squeaks starting around 300-450 miles with a few different lubes. Those squeaks bug me, so I try to relube before they begin.

Hey, whatever works.

Bob, I use Rock 'n Roll Gold chain lube. I started using it for my chains for the Dirty Kanza 200. It worked really well under adverse conditions, so I started using it on my road bikes. On a gravel bike, you could do 200 miles, with several stream/river crossings, and still have a silent chain at the end of the day. On a road bike, unless you wash it off, it works well for a long time. (They also make a Rock 'n Roll Extreme that is formulated to survive river crossings, mud, muck, etc. in gravel and cyclocross applications.)
Old 11-21-17, 10:13 AM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Thanks. For the past couple of years, I've been using Dumonde Tech Lite, which rose to the top after trying a few others. What's funny, though, is that I added some Rock 'n Roll Gold a recent order, so that's lying here in wait. My expectations just went up a notch
Old 11-21-17, 10:20 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is what I was wondering about.
Old 11-21-17, 10:25 AM
motorapido

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour, tricked out with modern components. Shimano Alfine 11 internal gear hub. Dynamo hub. Titanium racks and bottle cages. Mercier Kilo Wide Tire dropbar singlespeed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Careful with flammable solvents in ultrasonic cleaners

One other thing I've done is to put a chain in an old spaghetti jar with some solvent in it and then put that in my ultrasonic cleaner. Unfortunately my ultrasonic broke and I'm waiting on its replacement.
Careful. I once kaboomed an ultrasonic cleaner that I was using with flammable solvents. Of course, it was a Harbor Freight cleaner, which immediately spells danger. Harbor Freight is sometimes known as Horror Fright. 😂
Old 11-21-17, 10:42 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by motorapido
Careful. I once kaboomed an ultrasonic cleaner that I was using with flammable solvents. Of course, it was a Harbor Freight cleaner, which immediately spells danger. Harbor Freight is sometimes known as Horror Fright. 😂
No doubt. Mine was Chinese made that I bought off Amazon. I haven't seen the ones at Harbor Freight, but yeah, I've seen enough of their tools to know what you're talking about, although I did get a drill press there that's actually totally usable. I never used gasoline as a solvent in the ultrasonic, as even when I did use gasoline to rinse some chains, I did it outside and in a glass jar or plastic bucket by hand. Most of the solvents I used in the ultrasonic were citrus based or else something like simply green, though I'd probably put a spaghetti jar with mineral spirits in the ultrasonic if the lid was on. No heat though.
Old 11-21-17, 10:49 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Samuel D
Removing the chain is the only way to properly clean it, as you have proved. However, it’s a messy, time-consuming job.

Therefore I’d be interested to hear clever methods to store the solvents, reduce the volume of contaminated solvent dumped into the environment, and reduce the mess, smell, and storage clutter in the home.

If it was easy, we’d all do it.
Wippermann quick links make it easy to remove a chain. I used to clean my chain in mineral spirits. A 2 liter soda bottle works great for storing the used spirits. It settles out to a clear liquid after a few days.

Just relube

But now, I just wipe off the chain with a paper towel dampened with rubbing alcohol, and relube. The chains seem to last just as long this way.
Old 11-21-17, 10:56 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bikecrate
I'd much rather ride than wrench. Sure I get a sense of accomplishment fixing some things, but my bike is never going to be that clean, so I do the minimal wipe and lube.
I'm in this camp. Though I will admit, I have made the switch to waxing my chain. It takes a bit of initial setup...basically having a spare crockpot. But overall....the effort involved is the same, or less than waxing wiping. Certainly less than waxing/wiping/+ an occasional cleaning of the drivetrain. Excluding the warm up time of the crockpot (about an hour...), it takes about 15 minutes to wax my chain. 9 of that is spent watching the chain hang out in the crockpot, and 3-4 minutes of it is spent fiddling with the quicklink to get the chain on/off. I don't have the fancy tool...

Chain is always pristine, and if you're inclined to ever wash your chain in any way...waxing is far less messy. No solvent, no dissolved grease. Just a quick dip in the crockpot, cool off for a couple minutes, then put back on the bike and it's good to go for hundreds of miles, and clean as a whistle.

Last edited by Abe_Froman; 11-21-17 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-21-17, 11:06 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
What's the relative benefit though of doing this immersion thing, vs just a wipe-down with a rag that's been soaked in OMS before re-lubing? What you need to do, is an experiment where you have 2 clean rags (weigh each one) and then scale weigh after cleaning the chain (rag1) vs. magnet (rag2) (after OMS has evaporated). The difficulty lies though in starting with equally dirty chains..
Yeah I'm going to draw the line at weighing rags and whatnot. For one, I don't have a scale that's sensitive enough, and for two, that's a little much even for me.

As for the benefits of immersion vs. just a wipe down: wipe down gets the gunk off the external surfaces, which is useful inasmuch as it could end up between touching metal parts and contribute to wear. The immersion cleaning flushes the gunk out from the nooks and crannies in the chain that are already touching or will touch in operation.

As so many have pointed out, there's a cost/benefit analysis that each individual has to do on their own (even if they don't think of it in those terms) to decide which method they will use. "Ain't nobody got time for that!" is a valid approach if someone believes that their chains last long enough and simply has no interest in being more thorough for other reasons.

I didn't know that much about bike maintenance when I was a kid or a teenager, and chains were a lot thicker and more robust back in those days. I rode thousands of miles and just dumped more lube on when I heard squeaking, and I never had to replace a chain. It wasn't until I started biking again in earnest back in like 2009 or so that I learned that chains have gotten far thinner, lighter, and more frail as the number of cogs on the rear hub have increased.

I learned this after I finally snapped a chain on my mountain bike. After doing some reading, I went out and measured the broken mountain bike chain and it was horribly "stretched" through excessive wear. I had to replace a cassette and some chainrings too. When I got a new chain I picked up some KMC links after reading about them on a forum, and that's how I've been putting my chains on the bike ever since. With my 9-speed Trek of 2003 vintage I just used a single chain at a time until it needed to be replaced, lubing it on the bike and removing it more and more frequently using the master link to give it a good cleaning as time went on. I always thought my chains should be lasting longer than they did, and I was mildly disturbed that after a chain or two my cassette would be significantly more worn than the new chain I was just putting on, which is going to accelerate the chain wear. I was only getting a couple thousand miles on them or less. So the rigor with which I've treated the chains has increased over time, not decreased.

Now with my new Lynskey I've chosen to take a different approach that involves rotating between two chains on the same cassette to help keep the cog and chain wear more in sync with each other, which should help them all wear more slowly than under my old method. I've also more anal about cleaning and lubricating the chain, cogs, chainrings, etc. Since rotating between two chains involves me pulling the chain off the bike anyway, I've settled on a strategy of giving the chain a deep immersion clean each time I pull it off the bike to rotate the other chain on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.