Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone wearing sun protective (UPF) clothing?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 07-25-19, 01:40 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts

Temperatures up to 41,5°C (and more) today. That means: water, sun crème ... and sun protective clothing (+ more water)?

Do you sometimes think of grabbing a sun protective clothing piece when hot?
E.g. UPF50+ arm sleeves

Other summer tips you wish to share?
Old 07-25-19, 02:00 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I wear sun arm and knee sleeves in almost all conditions, though it's never gotten that hot here. The noticeable tan lines I have show that they are very effective. I splash water on the arm sleeves before a hot ride for the evaporative cooling effect, and squirt more from the water bottle to re-wet them.
Old 07-25-19, 02:12 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
You do know that heat has nothing to do with sunburns, right?

Sunburns are caused by the ultraviolet light in the sun rays, not the infrared light that warms the air.

I've gotten sunburned (badly, I might add) in 20 degrees (Fahrenheit) while skiing.

Now in extended periods above 125 F your skin can burn as though it was in an oven, but no about of sun screen is going to stop that. And that means 125 F skin temperature, but your body is working hard to keep your skin cooler than that with sweat that will keep it considerably under the 'thermal burn' level unless you're in a hot dry desert that can't keep your skin moist.
Old 07-25-19, 02:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I doubt for the cotton stuff I wear it's that big a deal but technical fabrics can be pretty transparent. Cosmetics companies have made some hay touting the SPF, why not clothes too?
@Skipjacks you are indeed more likely to get sunburned when it's hot for the same reason it's hot, the sunlight is more intense because of its higher (astronomical) altitude and the sun is up longer in summer. You get an extra shot of sunlight when you are skiing because of the higher (above sea level) altitude giving less attenuation of the light, and the sun reflected off the snow
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-25-19 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-25-19, 02:23 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
@Skipjacks you are indeed more likely to get sunburned when it's hot for the same reason it's hot, the sunlight is more intense because of its higher altitude and the sun is up longer in summer.
Well yeah....sunburn is more likely in summer for a variety of reasons

1) You are out in the sun longer
2) You aren't as covered up
3) The higher angle of the sun means it's got less atmosphere to penetrate and be dissipated by (which is 1 of 2 reasons it's hotter in the first place)

But heat doesn't cause sunburn. Period.

Heat and sunburn is correlation, not causation. (Work with me. I loved statistics in college but I never get to use that phrase in a sentence. I can't pass up the chance when it's there!)

You get an extra shot of sunlight when you are skiing because of the higher (above sea level) altitude giving less attenuation of the light, and the sun reflected off the snow
Not on the crappy foot hills I ski on. This may be true in the real mountains of Aspen, but in the pretend skiing I do barely above sea level in the Mid Atlantic it's more from the glare of sunlight off the snow that amplifies what would otherwise be limited UV exposure.

I call it the reverse summer tan. Instead of a tanned face with light spots where my sunglasses were like beach goers get, skiiers get a white face that was covered up by a face mask and tanned eyes where your skin was exposed. (I won't explain why my legs are white and my butt in tan, in reverse of summer.....)

Last edited by Skipjacks; 07-25-19 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-25-19, 03:24 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
Cosmetics companies have made some hay touting the SPF, why not clothes too?
Voler makes jerseys from a fabric they call Spectrum, with a reported UPF 50+ rating. I have one of their jerseys, it's cool and comfortable.

Old 07-25-19, 03:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Heat and sunburn is correlation, not causation. (Work with me. I loved statistics in college but I never get to use that phrase in a sentence. I can't pass up the chance when it's there!)
Well. They both have the same proximate cause
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-25-19, 03:31 PM
Skipjacks

Well. They both have the same proximate cause
I see your nerdiness is as strong as mine.
Old 07-25-19, 03:37 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
i'm not in the sun a whole lot (thank you forested greenway MUP), except perhaps in winter when the trees lose their leaves, and i'm usually bundled up then anyway (and the sun is very low angle or non-existent at that time of year).

also, i'm riding at 8:00am and 5:00pm, the sunlight i do get filtered though the trees is a lot weaker at those times compared to anything closer to the noon hour.

so no, i don't really take any specific sun protection measures, other than my helmet/visor keeping the sun off my face.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 07-25-19 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-25-19, 04:35 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I wear arm sun sleeves and really should wear the knee sleeves also. I also always wear a cap for protecting my bald head, forehead and whatever it will cover on my face. I also use SPF lotion. I finally have found a couple of them that really do not irritate my eyes, CVS sports lotion and Walgreens Baby SPF lotion. The CVS goes pretty thick and lasts for a quite a while, even when sweating heavily. It is really sticky, however, and when I am done riding my legs are very dirty from road grime, arms face and neck not as bad. The Walgreens I use mostly on my face and once it is set, it looks like a thin layer of baby powder on the skin. Melanoma is what killed my Dad and I have had several basel and squamous cells cut out. Almost every time I go to the dermatologist, every 6 months, I at least get things frozen. Like pretty much everyone my age, I have had a lot of really bad sunburns.
Old 07-25-19, 05:20 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
My commute is only about 50 minutes each way. I don't need any special clothing and I don't use sunscreen.
Old 07-26-19, 08:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
I don't take any precautions, and maybe I should. My exposed areas are getting quite dark.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-28-19, 06:51 PM
gvv1980

Bikes: '85 Peugeot PGN-10M

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use long sleeve merino wool shirts. For hot summers like we have here in Texas, I just change it to a lightweight one.
Old 07-28-19, 06:53 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
always wear a cap or some kind of cover under the helmet... and then arm screens a lot.
Old 07-29-19, 09:42 AM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
My commute is 35 minutes each way and being at opposite ends of the day there is enough recovery time that I don't ever burn or tan. I'm sure a dermatologist would tell me that I should cover up because that's what they do, but I just ride in shorts and tech-t and my helmet.
If I'm going to ride any longer I will apply sunscreen everywhere that is exposed including top of my head that is exposed by helmet vents. I've never burned in an area covered by my non-spf related technical T's or jerseys, no matter how long the ride. I'm not really sure if SPF clothing is really beneficial or if it's just a marketing thing?
Old 07-29-19, 11:40 AM
jskita

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
For rides under a couple hours I don't use any sunscreen. I rely on the brim of my helmet. I wear a bandana around my exposed neck and arm sleeves. Past a couple hours I wear sunscreen. I been on the fence about a Da-Brim visor for my helmet but I think it's a smart thing to do if you are ok with the look.
Old 07-30-19, 05:45 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
I wear fishing shirts

by Simms and Columbia. Long sleeve, light weight. For loaded touring they get a bit stuffy in humid weather over 80 degrees, but for commuting they can go much warmer.
Old 07-31-19, 10:58 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I wear the long sleeve shirt and bandanas from here: https://www.vaporapparel.com/mens/solar-long-sleeve/

They are very good in direct sun, and actually feel cooler than wearing shorter sleeves, as the material is slightly reflective, as well as being SPF 50+ equivalent. I wish they made leggins, but I need to order some white Pearl Izumi or similar for that. I ride a recumbent, so my legs get full sun when I'm riding.

When I ride the velomobile, I've only ridden with the Flevoroof on it so far, so I only need arm and face protection. Long sleeves and sunscreen for that.
Old 08-03-19, 01:04 AM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I see your nerdiness is as strong as mine.
Both you guys are up to something, but what really is going on is "Cosine Effect" of incident sunlight irradiance intensity,

See section 2.2 here: https://www.itacanet.org/the-sun-as-...arths-surface/

..... :-)

Last edited by Eds0123; 08-03-19 at 01:09 AM. Reason: extra wordings
Likes For Eds0123:
Old 08-08-19, 07:38 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Not for commuting. I commute at 7am and 4pm so the sun isn't high enough in the sky to warrant any protection.