Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who is getting a snow storm right now?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-19, 09:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts

heard the US "mid-west" is getting hammered right now. hope everyone is off the road & OK. would love to see some current snow pics tho

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-27-19 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-27-19, 10:05 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
We might get 5cm tomorrow, I'd like to get back to the fat bike. There was rain that transitioned into snow Sunday evening here, so we have a very thin layer of snow / ice on the MUP. The snow is bonded to rough ice so it provides pretty good grip. The roads were very wet yesterday with a thin accumulation of slush on the edge of the road. My bike needed some maintenance last night so it gave me a chance to wash all the sand off. -5C today, so the roads shouldn't be wet.

I rode past a spot where city crews were activating a new set of traffic lights. 2 guys were in the middle of the road slowing / stopping traffic. As I went by one of the guys said to the other, "I'd feel a lot safer if everyone that passed us was on a bike."
Likes For gecho:
Old 11-27-19, 01:17 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
We've got 3-4 inches in the last hour. Expecting a bit more, and it's supposed to pretty much keep snowing through saturday.

I had to drive to work today for other reasons. I am going to take the velo out this afternoon for a 'spin' and see how it handles the snow. I actually hope they haven't plowed my neighborhood by then (the county is really good about plowing roads around here).
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 11-27-19, 01:35 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Got a bit of snow and ice last night. Already melted off and just wet now. Then again My Fair City was basically right at the snow line of the storm, worst of it was to the west.
Old 11-27-19, 01:49 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
10-12 inches of wet/heavy snow outside Minneapolis. I'd love to post a pic of me and Pugsley playing in the snow, but snow-removal and work have kept me tied up all day.
Tomorrow is all family stuff ...

Forecasting more snow on Friday - I'm looking forward to opting outside on Friday.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-27-19, 01:53 PM
I.B.Roots
Bike Noob

Bikes: Kona, Salsa(s)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
shout out from central O...snowing since yesterday afternoon. 5-6" so far....but I feel bad for the folks stuck on the 5 in north Cali. 19 hours and counting....

Hundreds Stranded
Likes For I.B.Roots:
Old 11-27-19, 10:02 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
We're under a snowfall warning in Calgary, and most of the province actually. It started yesterday, light but persistent snowfall that built up to about 10 cm; this afternoon it started coming down in earnest and it's likely to accumulate another 15 to 25. Areas closer to the mountains are looking at 50cm or more. All of that on top of the partially melted and refrozen remnants of LAST week's snow, which is making it extra squirrelly out there. I am taking the bus.
Likes For Buglady:
Old 11-28-19, 06:18 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Just cool and clear up here, but Southern Oregon and Northern California are taking a beating. I-5 was shut down for a few hours. It's bad down there.
Old 11-29-19, 03:46 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
So far we're all out of luck here in the Western Treasure Valley of SW Idaho and Eastern Oregon.
Old 11-29-19, 06:36 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
60ish and sunny in the E. TN river valley.
Old 11-29-19, 02:03 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Solid 5 cm of snow last night, a nice even blanket that conceals all the ice hazards that were previously visible. Back alleys have ice ruts in random spots, and since you can't see them its always an unpleasant surprise when your tire finds one. An unofficial dog walking trail was particularly icy since all the packed snow turned to ice during the last warm spell. Will be nicer once all the snow on the roads gets packed.
Old 11-30-19, 11:18 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
We got 18” Tuesday and then it has been cold since then which is rare for Denver. Currently (Saturday), the wind is blowing at about 30 mph gusting to about 50. Again that’s not unusual but it’s a cold wind...aka Boreal wind...rather than the more common warming winds we get this time of year. Winds out of the west are what we call “down slope” winds that heat up as they flow down our mountains due to friction. This can cause the temperature to jump from 30°F to 70°F in a matter of minutes to hours. They are also called “snow eaters” because they melt the snow rapidly.

Perhaps the most extreme example of the snow eaters I can remember happened in 2003. We got 36” of snow in a single Wednesday in March. By Friday, there wasn’t any snow on the ground.

Originally Posted by gecho
Solid 5 cm of snow last night, a nice even blanket that conceals all the ice hazards that were previously visible. Back alleys have ice ruts in random spots, and since you can't see them its always an unpleasant surprise when your tire finds one. An unofficial dog walking trail was particularly icy since all the packed snow turned to ice during the last warm spell. Will be nicer once all the snow on the roads gets packed.
I’ve said this before and I say it again, suspension goes a long way to making those unpleasant surprise ruts less surprising. Add studs and you’ll have a bike that can almost go anywhere at any time. Just front suspension will make a huge difference. Rear suspension will give you marvelous traction.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-01-19, 10:11 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’ve said this before and I say it again, suspension goes a long way to making those unpleasant surprise ruts less surprising. Add studs and you’ll have a bike that can almost go anywhere at any time. Just front suspension will make a huge difference. Rear suspension will give you marvelous traction.
Now are you describing a bicycle or a tank?
Old 12-01-19, 10:12 AM
parkbrav

Sunday into Tuesday, the Northeast is getting "winter storm Ezekiel," a "Southwester" of Biblical proportions!
Old 12-01-19, 11:06 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
We just had freezing rain and ice pellets and everything is coated with ice. The wind is very strong. I was planning to do a gravel ride today but at the last minute decided not to because the winds are too strong...If it wasn't for the wind I would of definitely gone out to enjoy some ice riding.
Old 12-01-19, 11:19 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
Now are you describing a bicycle or a tank?
My dual suspension bikes aren’t significantly heavier than my other bikes. A good cross country dually can be very light.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-01-19, 01:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
It's 2:23pm EST on Sunday, Dec 1. Here in New York City, we're getting rain and sleet. It might change to snow but then back to rain. North and east of us, it will snow significantly.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-01-19, 04:23 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
It's snowing now in the Boston area, but it is predicted to turn to rain and then back to snow. Today was a nice cold day for riding. The roads were very clean, but they've started to put down salt; I don't like salt.
Old 12-01-19, 05:20 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
We got a little snow last night and this morning.
Likes For Oldsledz:
Old 12-01-19, 10:40 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
It snowed overnight here at the OR/ID border and I'm not ready to cope with that yet on a cruiser. Not any of the seven I have running are ready and the drivers haven't relearn3ed how ro drive in it yet. The road crews haven't been around here yet either.
Old 12-01-19, 11:00 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

8.5” w/ a little more on the way

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-02-19, 04:26 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
We got few centimeters of snow last night. All the ice which we got yesterday is now covered with snow.
Old 12-02-19, 07:08 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
8.5” w/ a little more on the way

Hi @rumrunn6,

Knowing that you post from Maynard, MA, about 25 miles northwest of Boston, are those photos taken from the current storm (Sunday 12/1)? South of the city, about 15 miles we have about 3 inches with a lot of sleet.

This Saturday prompted by the forecast I took my beater bike in to the shop to have the studded tires put on, kept on for the entire winter. My carbon fiber bike had been in the shop for a couple weeks, and I picked that up, probably only to put it in storage for the winter.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...As for the bicycle, the definitive transition to winter is mounting the studded tires, early in December, and removal signals winter is over, usually in late March.

I transition entirely to the beater bike with the studded tires until a late winter storm thoroughly rinses off the road salt; then I bring out the pristine carbon fiber road bike.
Protecting bike from salt and rust in commutes”

So too I don’t bother cleaning my beater either. We live in a small downtown condo, and I don’t have easily accessible facilities, like a garage.

If the bike, mainly the drive train is particularly filthy, my bike shop one block away does a good cleaning.

My beater is a good quality aluminum Specialized Diverge, and I bought it as a good-riding beater that I would nonetheless subject to the elements, without the distress of messing up my high end Specialized S-Works.
…Carbide studs are reputed to last a long time. I ride studded tires all winter from December to March, nearly entirely on bare, wet, and/or salted pavement. However, now my beater bike is an aluminum Diverge Elite road bike and I have 30 C Schwalbe Marathon studded tires, the narrowest I know of.

I've not had a significant snow challenge with them since I ride well-plowed roads, but the previous (?) 35 C tires were good up to about 3 inches of new snow.

I really like the Schwalbe tires because I don't seem to feel the increased rolling resistance many claim for more aggressively treaded studded tires.
On Sunday, about an hour into the storm with some snow and sleet ground cover I did ride a short distance with no problems.
Old 12-02-19, 07:59 AM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by cyccommute
My dual suspension bikes aren’t significantly heavier than my other bikes. A good cross country dually can be very light.
I'm sorry, I see that my post made you a little upset and that wasn't my purpose. I'm just joking around.

I should have added that I frequently refer to my winter bike as a "tank" because the studs just storm right through the winter ice.
Old 12-02-19, 08:26 AM
rumrunn6

rumrunn6, Knowing that you post from about 25 miles northwest of Boston, are those photos taken from the current storm (Sunday 12/1)?
yes. had a night-cap before bed after the Pat's lost, then went to bed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.