Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire removed when received it, failing to get it back on...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 03:46 PM
jamesmcrthr448

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, my old bike was basically condemned by Halfords and I can't afford a new bike. My partner's friend was storing their bike in our garage and has allowed me to have it as they intended to get rid anyway. However, they had removed the front tire from the bike before we received it. I've been trying today to put it on however I've been using a spanner to remove the nut/bolt(?) on one side, yet anytime I try to the other side moves as well? I don't own a spanner the same size so haven't tried holding them both but moving one, I have tried holding the other with plyers while trying to move the other. I've looked at Youtube but can only find videos of tyres being removed and reinstalled not in my scenario.

Any advice? I don't have any fancy bike tools, I have a cheaper version of WD-40 which I've tried too, also unsuccessful, any help is appreciated as I'm not that sure on mechanics and bike maintenance.

James.
Old 06-10-20, 04:30 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Do you mean tire or wheel?
Old 06-10-20, 05:19 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Tighten the nuts gradually, working from side to side until they are tight enough to not rotate the axle when you cinch them down. I have never needed to use more than one wrench to install a nutted axle.

Last edited by dsbrantjr; 06-10-20 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-10-20, 05:36 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Please. You do not seem to be able to distinguish between a tire and a wheel. They are not the same thing. Start with that
Old 06-10-20, 06:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Do you have or can you borrow a crescent wrench? Not ideal. It will probably mar the nut but if it is in good condition and you fully close the jaws it will work well. In a real pinch you could hold the other nut with pliers. vise grips etc. until you have successfully started one side. (Don't do any hard tightening with it. Just use it as a stronger set of fingers, And yes, the bike god's will judge you.

Ben
Old 06-11-20, 08:04 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesmcrthr448
...I've been using a spanner to remove the nut/bolt(?) on one side, yet anytime I try to the other side moves as well?...Any advice?
Fastest thing to do is to tighten the cooperating side again quite firmly, then try to loosen the stubborn side first.
If that doesn’t work, use the pliers or borrow another wrench to be able to turn both nuts simultaneously.
Occasionally, an axle nut is on there so tight that you need to hold on to the locknut for the bearing on the stubborn side to get the axle nut off.
Old 06-11-20, 08:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Seems that knowing what bike we are talking about will help. Hopefully this is a bike with just a nutted axle and not a QR or Thru-axle.

Even with simple nutted axles, you can still muck things up if you don't account for some of the differences in the way they install.

Do shops really charge a fortune to do those things for you in your area? Let them show you and learn first hand.

edit.... by shops, I mean local bike shop. Not a big box discount store which I perceive Halfords is.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-11-20 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-11-20, 11:56 AM
grindher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
wrong nut

I'd say atleast one of the nuts isn't the correct nut. Someone at some point probably just forced the wrong nut onto the axle. Check the threads on the axle. Do they look deformed?