Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Heart rate monitor

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Heart rate monitor

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-20, 12:09 AM
venomx

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Heart rate monitor

I do lots of cycling so thought I’d get a reasonably priced heart rate monitor which looks like a watch on the wrist

It says it’s for running however it will still monitor my heart rate right? . I couldn’t find any designed specifically for cycling at a good price. Obviously the calorie and step counter won’t be accurate but all I need it for is a simple heart rate monitor

In the product description it says …
The heart rate sensor technology on the HR 500 is ideal for sports involving repetitive movements such as running, walking or cross-training.
For sports involving unsynchronised movements like fitness sports, weight training, racket sports and team sports, you may observe errors in the reading
Old 06-14-20, 03:16 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Yeah it'll work just fine for measuring HR but if you were going that route I would make sure you pick up a unit that has built in gps and syncs to strava or another cycling app.
Old 06-14-20, 06:40 AM
3Roch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
If you want just a HR monitor get a basic Polar with a chest strap. All the data out there sez they are more accurate than the ones with the sensor on the back of the "watch" and you can wrap it on the bars so you can see it---which won't work with the wrist sensor. I guess if you get lost a lot you might need GPS ect
Likes For 3Roch:
Old 06-14-20, 07:06 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Like 3roch says, I think if you do some research you’ll find chest straps are considered more accurate. I got something called a CooSpo for under $30. I assume it’s as accurate as more expensive ones- I’ve checked it against the HR monitors on gym equipment. It easily syncs to the Wahoo app. I was worried about how it would feel to have an elastic strap around my chestal area for a four or five hour ride, but I quickly forget it’s even there.
Old 06-14-20, 10:24 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhil
I was worried about how it would feel to have an elastic strap around my chestal area for a four or five hour ride, but I quickly forget it’s even there.
Until the darn thing starts slipping down.