Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Descending Las Flores (Santa Monica) with skills and disc brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-20, 09:42 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts

These guys are hauling ass. Yes they did make 1 mistake in a corner (@5:17), as did I a few years ago (lesson learned). Damn I don't go this fast anymore, but watching these guys send some chill up my spine. This road has a gradient 9% avg and many sections are 12-14%.

But damn that disc brakes (of the leading rider) are annoying! Apparently his pads were shot. I've always descended this road on rim brakes.

Old 06-28-20, 11:28 PM
yamsyamsyams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
To be honest looks pretty normal to me. Descending on those gradients on perfect dry roads, tucked in aero and pedaling 52x11 or whatever, not hard to see how you’d reach 40mph. I regularly reach those in my local hills and have done similar speeds and cornering on a 15 mile mountain descent. I feel like in the dry, carbon rim brakes don’t give up much, if any, to hydraulic discs. Some corners they get a little overconfident but not bad overall!!
Old 06-28-20, 11:49 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by yamsyamsyams
To be honest looks pretty normal to me. Descending on those gradients on perfect dry roads, tucked in aero and pedaling 52x11 or whatever, not hard to see how you’d reach 40mph. I regularly reach those in my local hills and have done similar speeds and cornering on a 15 mile mountain descent. I feel like in the dry, carbon rim brakes don’t give up much, if any, to hydraulic discs. Some corners they get a little overconfident but not bad overall!!
These guys get KOMs on nearly every descent they film in the Los Angeles mountains - one of the most competitive cycling scenes in the continent. I would hardly qualify this as “normal”.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 06-29-20, 02:49 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
having done this exact ascent and descent several times, dude(s) woulda been six feet under or alive with serious injuries had a car/truck come around that bend that was overshot.
it's not exactly an uncommon occurrence for vehicles to find themselves over the line. there are plenty of people driving, cycling and skateboarding (!?) that are either waay too
confident in their abilities/machines/equipment, unfamiliar with the roads, too familiar with the roads or distracted with the views/grades in this area. i'd be pissed no end if i were ascending
las flores/hume/camino ramblas/schueren and some yahoo put my health at risk veering over the line near or into me because they wanted to push it. if it was a closed course
or (partial) one way descent without driveways like nearby tuna canyon, knock yourself out.
maybe i'm in the wrong and the only one that doesn't feel like being collateral damage regarding riders that disregard their own personal safety and, in doing so,
endanger others. too many driveways on this featured route to reasonably disregard the possibility of a car pulling in/out of a driveway descending at those speeds. even riding the brakes
until you're down to 30 mph, it takes about 3.5/4 seconds to get back up to 40 mph once you stop braking in this area. only a matter of time...

Last edited by diphthong; 06-29-20 at 03:04 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-29-20, 04:52 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Looks like fun!
Old 06-29-20, 10:50 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by yamsyamsyams
like Smashndash said, these guys are downhill KOM chasers in probably one of the most competitive KOM scene (both up and down) in the US. Pro Continental teams and some Pro Tour guys, and the Canadian cycling team, come here during the winter to train all the time. This road is not all smooth, the bends tend to have pavement rollups (due to car braking) and they can be bumpy and if you come in too hot (like they did in the video) then it's hard to brake thus forcing you to have to run wide. They're local and know every bend of the roads, and they have great skills too. The trailing rider is on rim brakes.
Old 06-29-20, 11:05 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
40+ MPH is not unachievable in my area. The distance is often too short to sustain it.
Old 06-29-20, 01:35 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I see this, and Think I need to quit procrastinating on getting a Dash cam for my gasoline burning metal box on 4 wheels.

People do silly stuff in life, and it needs to be recorded.
Old 06-29-20, 03:21 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Big yawn. Total idiot move at 5:31. Most turns were big sweepers. Disc brakes not needed for the minor speed reductions needed. If there were grades of 10% or more, the speeds should be higher. I hit 50-54 regularly, with a little tail wind help. No discs for me.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 06-30-20, 11:31 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
You know, I may not be a "downhill KOM chaser" in the biggest KOM area in the world or whatever, but I still manage to keep my bicycle within my lane, and even crazier, work with me here...

ON THE ROAD (5:17 is about as stupid as it gets).

Also, if those are truly 9-14% gradients, those guys aren't as fast as you think they are.