Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Difference between a $500 bike and $5K bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Difference between a $500 bike and $5K bike

Old 07-01-20, 07:05 PM
littleArnold

Bikes: Trek, Schwinn, Huffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
A lot of it has to deal with how obssed and passionate someone is about cycling. For me Id love a road bike, but Id also really like a bowflex. With COVID outbreaks working out with weights at health club with a lot other people feels risky, I started going to gym again...but it just worries me too much. So for me what is more important to me now, just continuing cycling on hybrid and getting a bowflex or not getting a bowflex and getting a roadbike? For same amt money im leaning more toward a bowflex.

Last edited by littleArnold; 07-01-20 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-01-20, 07:19 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by littleArnold
A lot of it has to deal with how obssed and passionate someone is about cycling. For me Id love a road bike, but Id also really like a bowflex. With COVID outbreaks working out with weights at health club with a lot other people feels risky, I started going to gym again...but it just worries me too much. So for me what is more important to me now, just continuing cycling on hybrid and getting a bowflex or not getting a bowflex and getting a roadbike? For same amt money im leaning more toward a bowflex.
In 2015 I was driving a 2001 Civic with 240,000 miles. I needed a better car but decided to buy a rather expensive bicycle knowing if I bought the car i'd never get the bike. And if i bought the bike, i'd have to get a car. 14 months later the head gasket went for the 2nd time and with 265,000 miles it was time to replace it.

Since 2015 i've put over 24,000 miles on the bike so my cost of ownership is under 50¢ per mile.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 07-02-20, 07:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
The real difference between a $500 bike and a $5000 bike...

The $5000 bike is in stock and who knows when the $500 one will be.

John

I'm custom-building frames from toilet paper and paper towel tubes. Any takers?
Old 07-02-20, 08:30 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I was considering splurging on a CF frame - 2 pounds lighter - if I could lose 5 pounds first. But I gained 5 pounds so I have wider higher quality tires instead.

That really sums it up in a nutshell from my perspective. When we really do appreciate the marginal improvements, and have a realistic idea of how much we'd gain, we sometimes realize that we just don't care about the $5K quality.

I suspect that's what the audiophile friend was getting at. He knows how we get when we're enthusiasts in any hobby, price is secondary to any sort of better quality, and perhaps he is looking for where to draw the line.
Old 07-02-20, 08:43 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
My > $5K bike is steel.
Old 07-02-20, 11:08 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
There's been plenty of riders on $5000.00 bikes left like they were tied to a post by riders on $500.00 bikes.

The biggest difference in cycling is the motor.
Really? Did the riders on the $5000 bikes know they were racing?
Old 07-02-20, 11:54 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
You have no choice, you have to peddle the $500 bike.

Depending on what you buy, you can have an option to peddle the $5000 bike or not.

For some people riding an e-bike is the only option.

John
Old 07-02-20, 12:05 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
It had to sting huh?
Old 07-02-20, 12:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I've had some pretty funny Cat 6 events along those lines. Buzzy hubs, no legs is the 21st century big hat no cattle..
Old 07-02-20, 01:52 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I was considering splurging on a CF frame - 2 pounds lighter - if I could lose 5 pounds first. But I gained 5 pounds so I have wider higher quality tires instead.
Gaining 5 lbs means your next frame has to be 5 lbs lighter to come out even. Do whatever is necessary to avoid needing a negative-weight frame!
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 07-02-20, 02:13 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Similar differences between my old FLIP PHONE and a new fang dangled SMART PHONE but then I only have an engineering degree from NCE.
Old 07-02-20, 02:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Similar differences between my old FLIP PHONE and a new fang dangled SMART PHONE but then I only have an engineering degree from NCE.

Actually, though, the comparison between a $125 smart phone and a $1250 smart phone might be a bit more problematic.
Old 07-02-20, 03:46 PM
oyejay

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
That's it then, isn't it? The longer you're into something the more you know what you want. If he's not into bicycling $500 is fine. But the longer he rides potentially the better he wants the experience to be, or he wants it to his taste.

I just bought my new bike, and I had to figure out something that could do long hauls, but be fun. Light but durable, compliant but stiff. Fast but comfortable. I've been cycling long enough and finally had some resources so I went for a pricey bike that was a little exotic in its approach. I'm happy with it.

​​​​​I had built up a gravel bike from a mid 70s bike boom frame with a decent wheelset and ok groupset. If I didn't have the cash could I have rode that and been happy? Yup. But it wasn't as smooth, nor as fast.
What was the pricey bike you bought? Sounds like what I’m looking for.
Old 07-02-20, 04:58 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by oyejay
What was the pricey bike you bought? Sounds like what I’m looking for.
I got a Carbon Topstone; it's performed really well and I've enjoyed it. Some other bikes on my radar were the checkpoint sl5, jamis c2, giant revolt or allroad. I really think Cannondales rear suspension is a good idea, but this opinion is highly controversial
Old 07-02-20, 05:38 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
There's been plenty of riders on $5000.00 bikes left like they were tied to a post by riders on $500.00 bikes.

The biggest difference in cycling is the motor.
Comparing apples to apples in the name of Truth, we are going to put the same motor on both bikes for a realistic comparison, Yes?

and that is my definition of ethics and integrity.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 07-02-20, 08:37 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
That's because they don't last. After 2-3 years the first owner/ lessor sells the car. The next keeps it for a few years until things start to break. They are overly complicated and any little thing is a $1000 part. The 3rd owner thinks they can afford to maintain it but quickly learns it's a money pit. The 4th owner always wanted a Mercedes and also learns they're constantly putting money into it. The 5th owner buys it cheap, thinks they can fix it themselves but learns they can't and it sits in their driveway rotting away.

While most Japanese cars, such at Toyota, Honda, and Korean Kia do last for over 200,000 miles with only minor repairs.
When it comes to Mercedes, only the second owner gets value. They buy it after the major depreciation and sells it before things go south.

2 friends had to get new engine compartment undertray covers, just a big piece of plastic. The Audi part costs ~$900 & the Honda part was ~$300. In America one can't even drive fast so why pay $$ for an Autobahn car? At least with a $5K bike one can ride as fast as one wants.
Old 07-03-20, 05:52 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
2 friends had to get new engine compartment undertray covers, just a big piece of plastic. The Audi part costs ~$900 & the Honda part was ~$300. In America one can't even drive fast so why pay $$ for an Autobahn car? At least with a $5K bike one can ride as fast as one wants.
There's still speed limits.

I was heading home through Bethpage State Park and the exit road from the parking lot is a nice down hill with a curve at the bottom. I was hammering it and when I came around the curve there was a state police car. When i got to the exit I heard the "blip" from a police siren so I pulled over to let him by... but he also pulled over.

The officer said he was doing paperwork and had his radar on when it beeped. He had it set to 35mph and when he looked I was the only one in sight. I told him according to my bike computer I was doing 37mph so it must be me.

He said bicycles must obey the posted speed limits just like cars and gave me a warning. He then commented on my bike and was amazed how light it was.

I do know that some of the AA groups have gotten tickets for speeding and running stop signs at he SUNY Old Westbury campus road that circles the college.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 07-03-20, 07:38 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I've found the best value in most consumer products is not the least expensive option. Certainly not the expensive models for most cyclists. We can spend US $700 - $5,000+ on a Giant road bike for example if we want speed. I'd think their $1,500 Contend AR 1 is perhaps their best value road bike. Its looks comfortable, Fast and has very good parts. I think you'll find the same with other brands if you compare features on different models.

Same principle holds true for comfort and hybrid bikes, but in the $400 - 2,000 range. I think you'll find that for a few dollars more then entry level we can get a better bike that is worth the higher price.

Of course this all depends on how much we have to spend. For those that have been blessed with some extra cash, Like an old friend who sold a very successful auto repair business and retired, His $7,000 road bike might be the best value. For a student who needs a reliable bike to get to the campus, Perhaps a simple Walmart hybrid with rim brakes and no suspension forks (the cheap ones bad IMO) would be fine, Or a used bike in good shape locally.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 07-03-20 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-03-20, 08:40 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
Of course this all depends on how much we have to spend. For those that have been blessed with some extra cash, Like an old friend who sold a very successful auto repair business and retired, His $7,000 road bike might be the best value. For a student who needs a reliable bike to get to the campus, Perhaps a simple Walmart hybrid with rim brakes and no suspension forks (the cheap ones bad IMO) would be fine, Or a used bike in good shape locally.
My son worked through high school at the LBS and took a bike that someone left to college for transportation. It was a 2x5 and had downtube shifters and a vinyl seat. He rode it from his off campus housing to classes and it was kept outside.It lasted the entire 4 years and it was hard to get rid of it after since he had 3 other bikes (Madone, Trek Xcal and Cervelo P2) and needed to thin the heard.

When he got his masters, 1 semester early, and was off the family payroll, I bought my Emonda as a present to myself.

It's all about where you are in life and your disposable income.I never would of spent that much for a bike if i was still supporting my kids.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 07-03-20, 12:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
There's still speed limits.

I was heading home through Bethpage State Park and the exit road from the parking lot is a nice down hill with a curve at the bottom. I was hammering it and when I came around the curve there was a state police car. When i got to the exit I heard the "blip" from a police siren so I pulled over to let him by... but he also pulled over.

The officer said he was doing paperwork and had his radar on when it beeped. He had it set to 35mph and when he looked I was the only one in sight. I told him according to my bike computer I was doing 37mph so it must be me.

He said bicycles must obey the posted speed limits just like cars and gave me a warning. He then commented on my bike and was amazed how light it was.

I do know that some of the AA groups have gotten tickets for speeding and running stop signs at he SUNY Old Westbury campus road that circles the college.
I had to read this a couple times. The AA groups I'm familiar with sit in folding metal chairs drinking terrible coffee.
Old 07-03-20, 10:46 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
I've found the best value in most consumer products is not the least expensive option. Certainly not the expensive models for most cyclists. We can spend US $700 - $5,000+ on a Giant road bike for example if we want speed. I'd think their $1,500 Contend AR 1 is perhaps their best value road bike. Its looks comfortable, Fast and has very good parts. I think you'll find the same with other brands if you compare features on different models.

Same principle holds true for comfort and hybrid bikes, but in the $400 - 2,000 range. I think you'll find that for a few dollars more then entry level we can get a better bike that is worth the higher price.
I agree...I inherited an old $600 Trek hybrid--with the name brand & not-so-cheap price the lack of quality is surprising: front rim has a bump at the joint, squishy saddle, annoying twist-shifters. $1,000+ bikes unlikely to have those problems. OTOH it's hard to see advantages of $5K bikes unless one has special needs like a custom frame. French pros used to win TdF's on $250 bikes (70's price).
Old 07-08-20, 08:01 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Gaining 5 lbs means your next frame has to be 5 lbs lighter to come out even. Do whatever is necessary to avoid needing a negative-weight frame!
I think I need one already. Since I'm also slower than I was. Fortunately having flexible priorities is considerably cheaper.

Last edited by wphamilton; 07-08-20 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-09-20, 09:12 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
my friend
Kia is no Benz
don't hate the player...but the game.
sometimes more is better....not always needed but just is better.
neighbor has an amazing flat black royals....coupe. with gull wing doors.
crazy nice but insane $$$.
a G Wagon benz would do just fine.
🤓
But according to J D Power the Kia is more reliable than the Benz!!!! Just another example of buying a name.
Old 07-09-20, 09:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
There is a great analogy here about money and brand names.

Years ago Popular Mechanics used to have their one million mile car owner report. When many owners of the brand reported in a total of a million miles they did a report. In this case I am alluding to name. The japanese car company Mitsubishi sold a sports car under their own name, and made one for Chrysler and Plymouth. They were the very SAME car with different grills. Yet the one sold as American cars had owners report almost twice as many problems. The owners of the japanese badge on the car would not admit to hardly any problems.
Old 07-09-20, 09:33 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
But according to J D Power the Kia is more reliable than the Benz!!!! Just another example of buying a name.
ok.
what bike do ride?
shoes, pedals, kit,?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.