Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain alignment issue on MTB

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 06:42 AM
bishop130771

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hi All
I am after some advice as I am having issues with my newly built hardtail. I have fitted a single narrow/wide chain ring (42T) up front paired with an 11 speed cassette on the rear. Fitted correct 11 speed chain and have a shimano deore xt derailleur.. The crank has all spacers on left hand side to bring chainring as close to frame as possible.
I set up the derailleur as far as end point travel is concerned prior to fitting the chain but now I've fitted chain I am major alignment issues resulting in chain being pulled off. It seems ok in gear 11/10/9 but as soon as it gets to 8th gear the chain is so out of line with the chainring it pulls chain off (chain ring too far out from frame. The obvious solution I guess would be to move crank spacers but they are already all on the left hand side meaning the chainring is already as close to frame as possible.
Now I will say that when fitting cassette I had leave the spacer nearest to the wheel hub out to enable to 11 speed to fit on hub, I guess this is normal...
Any help appreciated
Old 07-10-20, 12:10 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Check the chain length and also if the RD hanger is bent?
Old 07-10-20, 09:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Have you measured the real chain line amounts of both the cassette and the chain ring? Andy
Old 07-10-20, 09:44 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Does the chainring go on the other side of the crank arms?
Old 07-10-20, 10:21 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by bishop130771
The crank has all spacers on left hand side to bring chainring as close to frame as possible.
Why would you do this?

The object isn’t to get the chainring as close to the frame as possible. You want to have it line up in the middle of the cassette.

I’m not sure of your 11/10/9/8 issue. The chainline would get worse as you go to the 1st position, but I’m having a tough time understanding how a chainring would be that close and not hit the chainstay and have problem only 4 cogs over.

John
Old 07-11-20, 03:57 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
You need to provide more details. What kind of BB, shell, crank, chainring, what type of spacers, on the spindle or the BB, which type of spider, which side of spider, dropout width, measured chain line at the chainring, etc.
Old 07-11-20, 06:44 AM
bldegle2
Dangerous Old Man

Bikes: 2 custom built full Carbon road bikes, built by Moi...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
U want to be aligned with the 6th cog, that way your deflection to either side will be minimized...pics would be very helpful...