Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

First Time MTB Freehub Replacement Advice

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-20, 06:58 AM
MrVimes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello! So I need to replace the freehub on my 4-5 year old Diamondback Heist 1.0. The problem is apart from my inexperience with this is that I'm also struggling to find the right/compatible replacement.
The technical specs I can find for the bike list the rear hub as being a "Diamondback Sealed, QR, 32H" and nothing else - looks to me to be a generic brand build as there are no identifying logos or numbers of any kind on the hub or freehub itself.

(I can't post pics up as this is my first post!)

It's an 11 speed bike and I'm pretty confident I can match to the cassette but I'm struggling with matching to the hub. The majority of the drive is built from Shimano apart from the cassette was Sunrace although I have since replaced this. I need a screw in type of freehub and I can't find many of these out there. I also want to upgrade to a steel one rather than aluminium due to the bite wear,

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. On another note I've managed to get the freehub off with a 12mm hex but I can't get inside it - this was purely out of interest to see the insides and the state of the pawls as it's skipping when I put heavy pedal pressure on and therefore why I believe I need a new one.
I also know there's probably not much difference in price between buying just a new freehub and a whole new hub or even wheel but I'm seriously limited for funds and will be cutting into my households basic budget for the parts but I need my bike to get to work so getting just the freehub seems like the most cost effective way forward.
Old 07-25-20, 07:53 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Took 30 seconds:
https://www.bikeshopwrexham.co.uk/diamondback-heist-1.0
Are you sure it's 11 speed? Info above says 10 speed.
Old 07-25-20, 08:18 AM
MrVimes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats odd, I've never come across that version before when looking for the info online - regardless of that I can confirm it is indeed 11 speed and the link you gave is to a slightly different version.

Mine is;
fawkes-cycles.co.uk/2485159/products/diamondback-heist-10-mtb-275-blue.aspx

trying to get round not being allowed to post links yet!
Old 07-25-20, 08:28 AM
MrVimes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok so here's the images link without the www.

imgur.com/a/K0EH06Q

At least I've found a way round the link posting restriction!
Old 07-25-20, 09:26 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
What exactly are you wanting to replace and why? Just the free hub body or the whole rear hub?
Old 07-25-20, 10:35 AM
MrVimes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
What exactly are you wanting to replace and why? Just the free hub body or the whole rear hub?
Just the freehub body.
Old 07-25-20, 01:07 PM
MrVimes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To clarify, the reason I need a new freehub is because after 4 years of riding I think it's internal mechanism is worn. When I put a decent amount of pressure on the pedals (ie: going uphill or gaining speed) it's not engaging with the wheel and slipping.
Seems to be a common issue after a while with cheaper aluminium hubs.
Old 07-25-20, 01:42 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by MrVimes
I also know there's probably not much difference in price between buying just a new freehub and a whole new hub or even wheel but I'm seriously limited for funds and will be cutting into my households basic budget for the parts but I need my bike to get to work so getting just the freehub seems like the most cost effective way forward.
As long as you have the freehub off, try flushing it with WD40 or similar in the gaps between the rotating parts and dripping some light oil inside.

Have you asked Diamondback?

https://www.diamondback.com/contact-diamondback-bikes