Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Tow a bike with another bike?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Tow a bike with another bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-20, 10:40 PM
Retfor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
i use an old kids trailer for cargo, including other bikes.

if you dont have that, though, ive seen a kit for connecting a kids bike to an adult's bike to make it like a tag along trailer bike so that the kid can just come along for the ride. something like that should would for an adult bike as well.
Old 07-27-20, 10:40 AM
cheve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheve
I tried this w/my vintage MTB with Surly nice rack: just strapping the front wheel to the rear rack. I used bungee cord and some simple straps to keep the hub snug against the rack, you have to be careful to only strap the front wheel so it can pivot on bumps.

Riding is a bit weird, but it works pretty well overall.
@chimike, this is the guy from the instagram post: I actually posted the details here a few years back. It worked very well but I spent like 30 mins setting the bike up. Basically jammed the edge of the QR from the towed bike in my rear rack, and then used bungees to keep the WHEEL against the rack. That way the bike pivots and it all worked out. It wasn't unstable, I was rolling with sturdy 36h touring wheels, but it also wasn't practical and because it was askew, if you did a marginally tight turn on the opposite side of the towed bike, it would flop over.. I now use a big dummy with a screwed in QR mount, it works perfect, is much more stable and takes 2 mins. I use it all the time to take bikes to and from service, and like that video, to pick up my gf
Old 07-27-20, 02:34 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I put sleeves made from an old bicycle inner tube onto the front fork legs. Then I turn the fork so it faces the back of the bike and insert the fork legs into the spaces on each side of the top of my rear rack. I then strap the bike to the rack with a couple of Cohglan's Arno straps.

Here is an image of a bike I brought home after truing a number of wheels for a fellow over five miles from town. After this is when I started using the inner tube sections to protect the fork legs. This is a very stable setup and I don't even feel the weight of the bicycle being towed. The towed bicycle tracks perfectly.

Cheers