Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

80’s rock is the best

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

80’s rock is the best

Old 08-06-20, 03:28 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
If you're referring to the "hair metal" bands, we might have a problem.
Haha, no way (although some legit metal bands were also sporting the style at some point, e.g. Judas Priest, W.A.S.P.)
Old 08-06-20, 03:45 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 24 Posts
True

Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Should be... Are you Experienced?
'
If the knob on your volume goes to #10...........put it on #11 !!

https://vimeo.com/109988488

Last edited by roadsnakes; 08-06-20 at 05:08 AM.
Likes For roadsnakes:
Old 08-06-20, 03:47 AM
roadsnakes

Here we GO !!!!!!!!

NOW we`re talking!

'

Likes For roadsnakes:
Old 08-06-20, 07:20 AM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 640, '74 Fuji Special Road Racer, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 365 Posts
Mods, please move to Foo.
Old 08-06-20, 07:52 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 295 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7839 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 745 Posts
I was just coming to do just that, Phil. Moved to Foo from General.
Old 08-06-20, 08:01 AM
ahsposo 
Turgid Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4611 Post(s)
Liked 1,373 Times in 856 Posts
Maybe someone has pointed this out already dipstick but those are NOT 80's

This is 1980's it sucked. Cocaine was pretty good though...

Old 08-06-20, 08:03 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 130 Posts
All I can say is if one were to look through my recent play list on Apple Music they'd see...80's metal playlist. 80's hard rock play list. 80's hits playlist.

You get the idea.
Old 08-06-20, 08:23 AM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
I didn't pay much attention to the 80's metal, ......60's, 70's, 90's...up, for that matter. The 80's was a party decade, so I did hear a lot of the 80's pop.
Old 08-06-20, 08:33 AM
roadsnakes

Dipstick!!!!!

Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Maybe someone has pointed this out already dipstick but those are NOT 80's

This is 1980's it sucked. Cocaine was pretty good though...

https://youtu.be/HasaQvHCv4w

First off, Don`t call me a Dipstick!

I realize the tunes I posted were Not from the 1980`s. The reason I said "Are You Serious" is because the title of the post was "80`s Rock Is The Best!" . Because I disagreed I asked , "Are You Serious" , and posted some tunes that I thought were some of the best rock tunes. OK??
Old 08-06-20, 09:39 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 295 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7839 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 745 Posts
Ok.
Old 08-07-20, 03:22 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 3719 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 872 Posts
'80s rock was't all terrible hair band and glitz pop, and aging '60s rockers trying too hard to remain relevant. There were some great albums, especially if we count 1980 as the beginning of the '80s rather than end of the '70s.

Get Happy!!, my favorite Elvis Costello album, came out in 1980. It was a brilliantly diverse homage to just about every variation of R&B.

Romeo Void deserves a place just for Never Say Never, although It's a Condition and Benefactor were pretty good overall.

Pretenders II and Learning to Crawl didn't quite have the bitterly humorous edge of their first album but were still pretty good. I have fond memories of getting kicked out of a club by bouncers during the 1981 tour. Fortunately I got to hear the entire show before running afoul of one particular bouncer.

Billy Idol's Rebel Yell was a guilty pleasure, one of those albums I hated to love (like Missing Persons and Duran Duran), and like it better now than when it was new. Eyes Without a Face was brilliant.

My Bloody Valentine wasn't my favorite shoegaze band, but without them we probably wouldn't have my favorite, Slowdive.

Siouxsie and the Banshees. The Cure. 'nuff said.

I'm not sure I'd count Avalon from 1982 as a real Roxy Music album since it was more a departure from their experimental stuff with Eno in favor of Bryan Ferry's suave crooner style, but it's still damned good.

Speaking of Eno, he pretty much defined the entire 1980s pop-rock sound.

Talking Heads was still pretty good with Speaking in Tongues in '83, and the Stop Making Sense movie. Very '80s.

Joe Satriani's best stuff was his first two albums, both 1980s. Wish I'd kept the vinyl for Not of This Earth.

Living Colour's Vivid was an instant classic. First time I heard Cult of Personality was on one of those flimsy thin plastic "records" stuck between the pages of Guitar Player magazine, months before the album's official release. Even with that mediocre quality pressing that wore out quickly, pretty much everyone who played guitar was blown away by Vernon Reid's power, phrasing and versatility.

Lone Justice's first album has been on my regular play list for decades. Ditto her eponymous first solo album, especially "This Property is Condemned" with incredible gritty guitar work by Richard Thompson. Maria McKee was and is America's best underrated woman singer/songwriter. She's so diverse and eccentric it's hard to define or categorize her.

Smithereens "Especially For You" was great angst rock.

Prince's "Around the World in a Day" has stuck with me more than anything else he did. Crazy good diverse stuff, especially "Condition of the Heart" and "Temptation." I wore out that cassette on a job that demanded a lot of cross country driving.

Los Lobos, "How Will the Wolf Survive" and "La Pistola y el Corazon" -- wore out those cassettes too.

There was a lot of junk too, and some good stuff that was so overplayed that I don't care if I ever hear it again.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-07-20, 05:39 AM
hazetguy 
Custom User Title

Bikes: are filling up my basement.

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 332 Posts
Oh look, an entire thread about nothing but 80's music!

https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/82386...riday-102.html

It shows the good, the bad, the ugly, and worse. I agree, that having lived through the musical nightmare of the 80's, it's both funny and sad to look back on a lot of the "music" that was at the height of overplayed commercial radio and MTV airtime. Much of it is/was total crap, and the 90's were worse.
I am just so thankful that I had easy access to several good local college/community radio stations to listen to, and be a part of, during those years (and great "underground" record stores to go to), and that I could tune out the mega-stations.
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 08-07-20, 12:54 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3017 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
'80s rock was't all terrible hair band and glitz pop, and aging '60s rockers trying too hard to remain relevant. There were some great albums, especially if we count 1980 as the beginning of the '80s rather than end of the '70s.
True, but I stell felt born in the wrong decade, since the 80's covered most of my teens. Round the World in a Day was my favourite Prince Album too but Prince in general was a flower in a desert to me, and more because of his ingenuity than his style of music. I only discovered that Roxy Music had made some great music somewhere in my thirties because I couldn't stand Avalon. I wasn't that impressed with Living Colour, I don't play the guitar, and RCHP hadn't come in to it's own yet.

Especially for rock an hard rock,there was something wrong with the guitar sound, all drummers tried to sound like a drum computer, bass was either shy in the background or showing off with too little It was all too polished an neat, not rough round the edges and there was a general lack of groove. I suspect for no different reason than that the industry attempted to make everything for everybody by blanding it down and neating it up because the late 70's were very promising. For me the great thing about 80's rock was that the 70's and 60's records were cheaper.
Old 08-07-20, 04:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 3719 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 872 Posts
Yeah, for fans of The Who and Jimi Hendrix, the '80s guitar sound to too compressed, relying on electronics and control rather than riding the risk of chaos from volume and feedback. Keith Moon made most rock drummers sound like mere drum machines. John Entwistle made most rock bassists irrelevant background thumps.
Old 08-07-20, 07:25 PM
ooga-booga
lead on, macduff!

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked 604 Times in 336 Posts

Get Happy!!, my favorite Elvis Costello album, came out in 1980. It was a brilliantly diverse homage to just about every variation of R&B.

Romeo Void deserves a place just for Never Say Never, although It's a Condition and Benefactor were pretty good overall.

Pretenders II and Learning to Crawl didn't quite have the bitterly humorous edge of their first album but were still pretty good. I have fond memories of getting kicked out of a club by bouncers during the 1981 tour. Fortunately I got to hear the entire show before running afoul of one particular bouncer.

Billy Idol's Rebel Yell was a guilty pleasure, one of those albums I hated to love (like Missing Persons and Duran Duran), and like it better now than when it was new. Eyes Without a Face was brilliant.

My Bloody Valentine wasn't my favorite shoegaze band, but without them we probably wouldn't have my favorite, Slowdive.

Siouxsie and the Banshees. The Cure. 'nuff said.

I'm not sure I'd count Avalon from 1982 as a real Roxy Music album since it was more a departure from their experimental stuff with Eno in favor of Bryan Ferry's suave crooner style, but it's still damned good.

Speaking of Eno, he pretty much defined the entire 1980s pop-rock sound.

Talking Heads was still pretty good with Speaking in Tongues in '83, and the Stop Making Sense movie. Very '80s.

Joe Satriani's best stuff was his first two albums, both 1980s. Wish I'd kept the vinyl for Not of This Earth.

Living Colour's Vivid was an instant classic. First time I heard Cult of Personality was on one of those flimsy thin plastic "records" stuck between the pages of Guitar Player magazine, months before the album's official release. Even with that mediocre quality pressing that wore out quickly, pretty much everyone who played guitar was blown away by Vernon Reid's power, phrasing and versatility.

Lone Justice's first album has been on my regular play list for decades. Ditto her eponymous first solo album, especially "This Property is Condemned" with incredible gritty guitar work by Richard Thompson. Maria McKee was and is America's best underrated woman singer/songwriter. She's so diverse and eccentric it's hard to define or categorize her.

Smithereens "Especially For You" was great angst rock.

Prince's "Around the World in a Day" has stuck with me more than anything else he did. Crazy good diverse stuff, especially "Condition of the Heart" and "Temptation." I wore out that cassette on a job that demanded a lot of cross country driving.

Los Lobos, "How Will the Wolf Survive" and "La Pistola y el Corazon" -- wore out those cassettes too.

There was a lot of junk too, and some good stuff that was so overplayed that I don't care if I ever hear it again.
1. yes. imperial bedroom is no slouch either.
2. yes
3. unfortunately yes
4. yes
5. yes.
8. definitely yes
7. definitely yes
8. yes.

Last edited by ooga-booga; 08-07-20 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-07-20, 07:28 PM
ooga-booga
lead on, macduff!

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked 604 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer View Post
True, but I stell felt born in the wrong decade, since the 80's covered most of my teens. Round the World in a Day was my favourite Prince Album too but Prince in general was a flower in a desert to me, and more because of his ingenuity than his style of music. I only discovered that Roxy Music had made some great music somewhere in my thirties because I couldn't stand Avalon. I wasn't that impressed with Living Colour, I don't play the guitar, and RCHP hadn't come in to it's own yet.

Especially for rock an hard rock,there was something wrong with the guitar sound, all drummers tried to sound like a drum computer, bass was either shy in the background or showing off with too little It was all too polished an neat, not rough round the edges and there was a general lack of groove. I suspect for no different reason than that the industry attempted to make everything for everybody by blanding it down and neating it up because the late 70's were very promising. For me the great thing about 80's rock was that the 70's and 60's records were cheaper.
they had quite a run from 1972-1975. country life. siren. their self-titled first album. stranded. but especially for your pleasure. if you haven't spun them, you should.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...your-pleasure/

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...ngs-1972-1982/

pity avalon didn't work for you.

Last edited by ooga-booga; 08-07-20 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-07-20, 09:58 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 805 Posts
80s ... Thrash Metal for me. I admit to liking some new wave. On SiriusXM my favorite channel is Ozzy’s Boneyard which plays classic hard rock and heavy metal. Mostly 70s and 80s a few 90s might slip in the rotation.
Old 08-07-20, 10:17 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 345 Posts
i wonder why some have to have a “best” decade of music rather than just liking good music no matter when it came out. Personally no matter when it came out i just prefer lyrics that resonate with and/or have meaning for me, sometimes also combined with feeding the emotions i’m feeling, or want to feel, the major and/or the minor scales of the music and its overtones and also interesting unexpected changes and ingenuity in sound.

just enjoying what i’m hearing is all i need………
Likes For clemsongirl:
Old 08-08-20, 07:01 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3017 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga View Post
they had quite a run from 1972-1975. country life. siren. their self-titled first album. stranded. but especially for your pleasure. if you haven't spun them, you should.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...your-pleasure/

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...ngs-1972-1982/

pity avalon didn't work for you.
'Champagne and Novocaine' is my favourite, that's a hard to get bootleg but the've done more wild and weird shows in their early years. I posted such a video in the 70's topic not too long ago. Compare it to Avalon and it's hard to believe it's the same band. Bands should make whatever they like and not repeat themselves, if they move into a direction I not happen to like that's fine. But the contrast is very sharp between the wild, rough, experimental, loud, freaky seventies and the slick, polished, polite and mellow 80's of this band. It's part of a greater pattern, I quite liked Bowie's Let's Dance but it's not Ziggy Stardust. Tina Turner, less soul, more poppy and let's not get into the difference between Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship.

It wouldn't have been a problem if there were young bands beeing adventurous and raw, but the Money for Nothing intro was about the rawest piece of guitar from the 80's, and Sultans of Swing the legendary solo. Good musicians for sure, but not my cup of tea, I don't want a cup of tea at all, I want tequila with salt and lemon. Appearently that was all underground, but not really thriving there. It's only the artist truly independent from all fashions and trends like Tom Waits who did some of their best stuff in the 80's.
Old 08-08-20, 12:21 PM
Trakhak

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer View Post
'Champagne and Novocaine' is my favourite, that's a hard to get bootleg but the've done more wild and weird shows in their early years. I posted such a video in the 70's topic not too long ago. Compare it to Avalon and it's hard to believe it's the same band. Bands should make whatever they like and not repeat themselves, if they move into a direction I not happen to like that's fine. But the contrast is very sharp between the wild, rough, experimental, loud, freaky seventies and the slick, polished, polite and mellow 80's of this band.
Some of the later Roxy stuff combined slickness and experimentation, but I imagine that many people heard only the slickness.

Manifesto is a good example. The only song I know of where all of the verses are in different keys (running around the circle of fifths, except one, just for fun). And I'd love to have been there when Ferry was explaining to the bass player what he wanted.

Old 08-08-20, 06:47 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 705 Posts
Yeah, for fans of The Who and Jimi Hendrix, the '80s guitar sound to too compressed, relying on electronics and control rather than riding the risk of chaos from volume and feedback. Keith Moon made most rock drummers sound like mere drum machines. John Entwistle made most rock bassists irrelevant background thumps.
How I wish electronic drums were never invented and recorded.
Old 08-08-20, 06:54 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 705 Posts
The thing with '80s music here was we were spoon fed what was on the radio or MTV. You had to spend money at a record store or go to night clubs with live bands to get away from that.

Sadly, most live bands here were cover bands. Only so many times you could handle the cover band playing yet another Journey song while you're playin' pool on the L-shaped pool table while wearing your prismatic new wave surfer glasses.
Old 08-08-20, 07:29 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 1,137 Times in 542 Posts
Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
All from the 80s

College Radio - Pixies, Sonic Youth, R.E.M, Kate Bush, Tom Waits, Replacements, Minutemen, The Cure The Smith’s

Metal- Motörhead, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Black Flag

Punk - Fugazi, Minor Threat, The Clash, Bad Brains

All had great albums during the 80s
Of the bands you listed, only the Replacements and The Clash were very compelling; the former were entertaining for juvenile drunken minor-leaguers, and the latter's best albums (the first three, plus a long-forgotten EP) were made in the '70s.

For my money, the best stuff to come out of the '80s was from The Jayhawks -- and that was so good precisely because it sounded like late '60s or early '70s country rock.
Old 08-08-20, 07:37 PM
Trakhak

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
How I wish electronic drums were never invented and recorded.
Welcome to the future.

Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-08-20, 07:58 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Of the bands you listed, only the Replacements and The Clash were very compelling; the former were entertaining for juvenile drunken minor-leaguers, and the latter's best albums (the first three, plus a long-forgotten EP) were made in the '70s.

For my money, the best stuff to come out of the '80s was from The Jayhawks -- and that was so good precisely because it sounded like late '60s or early '70s country rock.

Every band I mentioned is a critically acclaimed band that enfluneced a lot of other bands. You can’t even play a Sonic Youth song without knowing the tuning because their songwriting is so innovative (but you knew that, right?). The Pixies started the grunge movement. The Cure and The Smith’s wrote some of the best songs ever. None of these band members are drunkards.

You are are not very well read in 80s music.

As as far as the Jayhawks I saw them live in 1994 with opening band Wilco. I have also seen Uncle Tupelo and Galaxie 500. Jayhawks first two albums were great the the Marc Olsen left the band temporarily and was not the same.

Making statements like “Juvenile Drunken Minor Leaguers” reveals more about YOU than those bands.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.