Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless or not?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless or not?

Old 08-08-20, 07:49 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13593 Post(s)
Liked 2,870 Times in 1,537 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla View Post
Ha, yeah... i have 2 stealth Rovals. Need something more bling

So i did dig into the Zipps a little more after your review. In the end, dont see the point. I will be putting them on a gravel bike with a 34-35mm wide tires. Since the OD of these rims is a lot lower, I am going to pay a pretty hefty aero penalty with the bulbuous tires. Given that, i might as well save a bunch of money and get a Light Bicycle wheelset instead. Or bite the bullet and go BIG with the 3T Discus wheels. 45mm deep, 40mm wide. It's about the girth these days, anyway.
Yeah - for gravel I would probably go wider, maybe even 650B.

Sure, LB were pretty tempting to me, also. In the end, availability in covid times played a big factor as did the lifetime warranty, not only for manufacturing defects but also for mild boneheadedness. I'm not completely inept, and I do have a spoke tensiometer, but it's nice to be able to send the wheel off for a rebuild if a spoke breaks rather than replace and maybe chase additional breaks.

The other major bonus for the Zipps - SO divisive. With many other brands, I'd have to explain who they were, where they were from, how much I paid, etc, etc and, even then, most people still wouldn't be sure if they should hate/love me and/or the wheels. I can't live with that kind of indifference.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-08-20, 12:28 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: Venge, R5, Shiv, Lynskey and a few more

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
The other major bonus for the Zipps - SO divisive. With many other brands, I'd have to explain who they were, where they were from, how much I paid, etc, etc and, even then, most people still wouldn't be sure if they should hate/love me and/or the wheels. I can't live with that kind of indifference.
You definitely should NOT be waving while riding them.
Old 08-08-20, 12:29 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by guadzilla View Post
You definitely should NOT be waving while riding them.
I don't, not unless I see an arm band.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-08-20, 01:59 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 130 Posts
he other major bonus for the Zipps - SO divisive. With many other brands, I'd have to explain who they were, where they were from, how much I paid, etc, etc and, even then, most people still wouldn't be sure if they should hate/love me and/or the wheels. I can't live with that kind of indifference.
Wait. Isn't Rapha the only item/article that's allowed to claim that distinction?

Last edited by NoWhammies; 08-09-20 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-08-20, 02:22 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by NoWhammies View Post
Wait. Isn't Rapha the only item/article that's allowed to claim that distinction?
I got the trifecta, bro - Cervelo, Zipp, and Rapha. If people don't cheer me, they jeer me.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-08-20, 07:18 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
I got the trifecta, bro - Cervelo, Zipp, and Rapha. If people don't cheer me, they jeer me.
Ha, I've got a Cervelo, ENVE SES, and Rapha. Maybe that's why every non-cyclist, overweight gym rat on a flat bar bike has to prove they're faster than me.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 08-10-20, 02:42 PM
shona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need info on tubeless

I just jumped into this thread. At the suggestion of somebody I just got tubeless tires put on my road bike. Yes, I know nothing about them. My main question is how much pressure should I have in them? In my tube tires I ride on 100. Also, can I add air using the tubeless valve? I have many more questions but I'll keep it to these two for now. Thank you,
Old 08-11-20, 05:23 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator

Bikes: Giant Propel, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 7579 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by shona View Post
I just jumped into this thread. At the suggestion of somebody I just got tubeless tires put on my road bike. Yes, I know nothing about them. My main question is how much pressure should I have in them? In my tube tires I ride on 100. Also, can I add air using the tubeless valve? I have many more questions but I'll keep it to these two for now. Thank you,
If you've been running 100 on regular tires of the same width, you can probably run 80 but you might want to try 85 first just to see how much deflection there is in the sidewall and yes, you air up just like a tubed tire.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I can't believe the ignorance out there. - An Anonymous Addictionite.