Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Has the "golden age" of custom steel bikes passed?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Has the "golden age" of custom steel bikes passed?

Old 08-09-20, 10:32 PM
Johnk3

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by satrain18
$3,600 for just the framset is not a bargin, considering that a carbon fiber road bike with Shimano ultegra di2 electronic shifting AND disc brakes can be had for under $3,000. https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-r872-disc/
Comparing a mass produced Asian CF bike with mid and low end components to a fully custom, handmade Columbus XCr stainless steel frame with Campy Super Record group and WR Compositi components is like comparing a Fiat to a Maserati. I have 2 high end carbon fiber bikes. I'm not impressed with either of them. I would not have either electronic shifting or disc brakes if you paid me. My bike will be ridden decades after your CF cheapie is in the recycle bin.
Old 08-10-20, 04:43 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Bike racing is a dying sport. I always thought that building bikes for racers was overblown anyway. Lots of builders out there building nice bikes for people that actually pay for their bikes.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that was going to be my question,,,, who is buy these frames and how are they using them ? Is it just a personal preference to own a high quality steel bike,,,, ?
Old 08-10-20, 05:10 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
$3,600 for just the framset is not a bargin, considering that a carbon fiber road bike with Shimano ultegra di2 electronic shifting AND disc brakes can be had for under $3,000. https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-r872-disc/
Yeah and the frame is garbage.

Here is a $3500 frame do you honesty think it compares. Custom made, translucent paint over chrome and 16lbs.

https://officinabattaglin.com/products/custom-steel-bikes/power-plus-evo/

There is a place for less expensive bikes but don’t compare them to the best custom bikes.

Last edited by Mulberry20; 08-10-20 at 05:13 PM.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 08-10-20, 06:36 PM
satrain18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnk3
Comparing a mass produced Asian CF bike with mid and low end components to a fully custom, handmade Columbus XCr stainless steel frame with Campy Super Record group and WR Compositi components is like comparing a Fiat to a Maserati..
Or rather, a 2020 Nissan370Z to a 1935 Jaguar SS100.
I have 2 high end carbon fiber bikes. I'm not impressed with either of them. I would not have either electronic shifting or disc brakes if you paid me. My bike will be ridden decades after your CF cheapie is in the recycle bin.
Carbon fiber frames can be repaied:
Steel frames aren't impervious either: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/...tigue_test.htm

Last edited by satrain18; 08-10-20 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-10-20, 06:46 PM
satrain18

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
Yeah and the frame is garbage.

Here is a $3500 frame do you honesty think it compares. Custom made, translucent paint over chrome and 16lbs.

https://officinabattaglin.com/products/custom-steel-bikes/power-plus-evo/

There is a place for less expensive bikes but don’t compare them to the best custom bikes.
Here's some custom carbon frames
https://www.filamentbikes.com/bikes

https://www.hersh.it/
https://parleecycles.com/custom/
Old 08-10-20, 06:47 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Comparing a mass produced Asian CF bike with mid and low end components to a fully custom, handmade Columbus XCr stainless steel frame with Campy Super Record group and WR Compositi components is like comparing a Fiat to a Maserati. I have 2 high end carbon fiber bikes. I'm not impressed with either of them. I would not have either electronic shifting or disc brakes if you paid me. My bike will be ridden decades after your CF cheapie is in the recycle bin.
What type of fork are you riding? I hope you aren’t riding Super Record as that’s made from mostly carbon as well soon to be destined for the bin.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-10-20, 07:08 PM
satrain18

Originally Posted by velopig
What type of fork are you riding? I hope you aren’t riding Super Record as that’s made from mostly carbon as well soon to be destined for the bin.
Steel fork with a carbon-fiber steerer. His handlebars, stem, and seatpost are also carbon fiber instead of polished aluminum, oddly.

Last edited by satrain18; 08-11-20 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-10-20, 07:09 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Sad

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Bike racing is a dying sport. I always thought that building bikes for racers was overblown anyway. Lots of builders out there building nice bikes for people that actually pay for their bikes.
kind of sad if that true ,but I guess it's now it's come to light that you have to be doped up , and have extra liters of blood in you and all kinds of chemicals to make you go fast,, I guess yeah, I guess it should end as a sport...😔
PS sorry don't want to get off subject to subject was steel frames I think Waterford probably make some pretty darn good steel frames if I get some money together,, I might just order a "do all " types of bike from them that can take wider tires can do gravel and Road. Also still don't have a titanium bike , so there's that..😀

Last edited by rossiny; 08-10-20 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-10-20, 07:37 PM
Mulberry20

I rode a Parlee RZ7 Saturday. Nice bike but not paying 7k for an Asian frame. I saw the Z Zero custom but as nice as it is not worth 9k just for the frame. There are new Dogma F10 frames for less than 3k around, made in Italy.
Old 08-10-20, 07:43 PM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that was going to be my question,,,, who is buy these frames and how are they using them ? Is it just a personal preference to own a high quality steel bike,,,, ?
Who is buying these fine custom steel dream bikes? The demographic is older guys with cash and young girlfriends!
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 08-10-20, 10:11 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Who is buying these fine custom steel dream bikes? The demographic is older guys with cash and young girlfriends!
i doubt young women are impressed by steel bikes 😸
Old 08-10-20, 11:48 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I like steel because I like the way it looks, if you like CF/Ti/Aluminum that's great too. If you fit on stock geometry there are thousands of good frames made everywhere if you need/want custom there are hundreds of makers in in all materials. Plastic bikes have come a long way in the last 35 years and they are the best way to build a bike that does exactly what you need them to do but that doesn't make them pretty.
Old 08-11-20, 08:04 AM
Johnk3

Originally Posted by velopig
You missed the point. Of course I have lots of carbon fiber on my bike, saddle frame, pedals,, Campy SR, and WR Compositi seat post, stem, handlebars and steering tube. My frame and fork are Columbus XCr stainless steel. But this whole line of comments is about Custom Steel Bikes. Besides, not all carbon is created equally, some is very good, a lot is crap.
Old 08-11-20, 08:51 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Holy god, I hope you are being sarcastic...

So you are not be sarcastic. It has already been stated but a custom made bike can't really be compared to an off the shelf asian bike - especially a cheap one that most likely cost less than 1000 yuan to make.
Old 08-11-20, 09:38 AM
Johnk3

Steel forks with a carbon-fiber steerer. His handlebars, stem, and seatposts are also carbon fiber instead of polished aluminum, oddly.
I already have two classic lugged steel framed bikes with classic stuff, a Simoncini and a Cinelli. I wanted my Barco to be the most modern and lightest.
Old 08-11-20, 09:48 AM
Johnk3

my young wife, a triathlete, told me I needed another bike, specifically the Barco XCr. I love her.
Old 08-11-20, 09:49 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Why spend $1 on an orange when I can get an apple for half that?
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-11-20, 10:03 AM
Mulberry20

my young wife, a triathlete, told me I needed another bike, specifically the Barco XCr. I love her.
That is a wonderful bike. I keep flipping back and forth. They sent me all the chameleon colors so maybe just the Spirit version.

That fork of theirs is a looker right? Have you seen this review?

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/66...rco-xcr-review
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 08-11-20, 10:04 AM
Johnk3

I rode a Parlee RZ7 Saturday. Nice bike but not paying 7k for an Asian frame. I saw the Z Zero custom but as nice as it is not worth 9k just for the frame. There are new Dogma F10 frames for less than 3k around, made in Italy.
be careful. "Made in Italy " legally means only that a certain percentage of the finished value was done in Italy. The basic frame may have been made elsewhere. With my Cicli Barco, I was sent photos of the frame making in various stages of progress by Gianluca Barco. In the process, we had about 120 emails back and forth about every detail of the process from brake mounting to paint scheme and colors. That is the difference between a custom steel frame and a mass production CF.
Old 08-11-20, 10:08 AM
Johnk3

be careful. "Made in Italy " legally means only that a certain percentage of the finished value was done in Italy. The basic frame may have been made elsewhere. With my Cicli Barco, I was sent photos of the frame making in various stages of progress by Gianluca Barco. In the process, we had about 120 emails back and forth about every detail of the process from brake mounting to paint scheme and colors. That is the difference between a custom steel frame and a mass production CF. It cost $3,600 including shipping, but I had a lot of extras. The basic XCr stainless steel frame with steel curved fork is about $2,800. Every one is custom, so there will probably never be another one like yours.
Old 08-11-20, 10:16 AM
Mulberry20

be careful. "Made in Italy " legally means only that a certain percentage of the finished value was done in Italy. The basic frame may have been made elsewhere. With my Cicli Barco, I was sent photos of the frame making in various stages of progress by Gianluca Barco. In the process, we had about 120 emails back and forth about every detail of the process from brake mounting to paint scheme and colors. That is the difference between a custom steel frame and a mass production CF. It cost $3,600 including shipping, but I had a lot of extras. The basic XCr stainless steel frame with steel curved fork is about $2,800. Every one is custom, so there will probably never be another one like yours.
He is a nice guy. I have a call with him tomorrow. I have all the details including the chameleon paint choices. I am dithering on this project.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 08-11-20, 10:18 AM
Johnk3

That is a wonderful bike. I keep flipping back and forth. They sent me all the chameleon colors so maybe just the Spirit version.

That fork of theirs is a looker right? Have you seen this review?

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/66...rco-xcr-review
yes, I saw that. It convinced me to get the Barco. Mine is the same except for the wheels, saddle and electronic shifting. It is a larger size, that is why mine weighs 14 oz more.
Old 08-11-20, 11:33 AM
Johnk3

He is a nice guy. I have a call with him tomorrow. I have all the details including the chameleon paint choices. I am dithering on this project.
I chose the XCr because of the stainless steel. I didn't want any rust issues. I think Barco uses polished stainless steel lugs even on non stainless frames because of weight and potential rust from poor chrome.
Old 08-11-20, 12:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

Wrong. Carbon fiber can't be recycled.
Old 08-11-20, 12:27 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
,,,,,,,,, hmmm, well I got the Older guy part, down Pat .......Lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.