Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dirt Between Crank and Frame

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dirt Between Crank and Frame

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 02:36 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts
Having a 9 year old Madone, I've had to deal with some of the issues you've encountered. Here's what I would recommend;
1.) Remove DS crank arm/spindle. Park tools has a video on servicing press-fit cranks
2.) Clean everything off and inspect for excessive wear and damage.
3.) Spin the bearings with your finger, if they feel rough, replace them.
4.) Try removing the bearings with your fingers, if you can I would consider replacing the bearings with the oversize version. The squeal/creak may be bearings moving in the BB shell. The BB shell can become ovalised from repeated stress from pedaling. You can try using Loctite or VibraTite if you don't want to go down the oversize route. The oversize bearings are made for GXP BB's which have a larger spindle diameter than Shimano so you will need top hat bushings to compensate. This sounds sounds like a bit of a kludge, but I got 3 years of trouble free use so far.
Old 08-14-20, 04:11 PM
danallen

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzkill53120
Having a 9 year old Madone, I've had to deal with some of the issues you've encountered. Here's what I would recommend;
1.) Remove DS crank arm/spindle. Park tools has a video on servicing press-fit cranks
2.) Clean everything off and inspect for excessive wear and damage.
3.) Spin the bearings with your finger, if they feel rough, replace them.
4.) Try removing the bearings with your fingers, if you can I would consider replacing the bearings with the oversize version. The squeal/creak may be bearings moving in the BB shell. The BB shell can become ovalised from repeated stress from pedaling. You can try using Loctite or VibraTite if you don't want to go down the oversize route. The oversize bearings are made for GXP BB's which have a larger spindle diameter than Shimano so you will need top hat bushings to compensate. This sounds sounds like a bit of a kludge, but I got 3 years of trouble free use so far.
Instead of viewing this as a kludge, I am inclined to consider this a carefully-designed solution to a difficult problem. It is not like we never throw any load onto that bottom bracket, which is made to be strong in compromise with weight. Tricky to work with. I thought of using bond, but I suspect that would not work as well as the solution you mentioned. Thank you for the warning on the inside diameter of the oversized bearings, I was not aware of that.

I will be replacing those bearings in the next few weeks. I already could feel they are rough just by turning the axle with the left crank arm removed. I guess I am going to have to find out how tight those bearings are before choosing the bearings to get....

I will let you know how this fix goes.
Old 08-14-20, 04:26 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by danallen
Instead of viewing this as a kludge, I am inclined to consider this a carefully-designed solution to a difficult problem. It is not like we never throw any load onto that bottom bracket, which is made to be strong in compromise with weight. Tricky to work with. I thought of using bond, but I suspect that would not work as well as the solution you mentioned. Thank you for the warning on the inside diameter of the oversized bearings, I was not aware of that.

I will be replacing those bearings in the next few weeks. I already could feel they are rough just by turning the axle with the left crank arm removed. I guess I am going to have to find out how tight those bearings are before choosing the bearings to get....

I will let you know how this fix goes.
I felt the top hat bushings were a kludge, but I have had no problems with it. If you find the bearings aren't snug in the BB, consider this solution from bbinfinte.com. I couldn't use their solution as I already had the oversized bearings installed. They seem to have perhaps a good solution, though perhaps a little pricey. Email them if you have any questions, they were pretty helpful with me. Full disclosure; I have no affiliation with them. They're others who probably have similar solutions.