Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Folding/Rinko bike builds for touring

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Folding/Rinko bike builds for touring

Old 07-30-20, 05:02 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I've been following the allen key talk and wondering how in the heck you remove pedals with one, imagining somehow putting them through the pedal portion or something.
About a decade and a half ago I bought a pair of pedals that only had the allen wrench option for installation and removal, there were no flats for a 15mm wrench. You learn how to do it fast when that is the only option on how to do it.
Old 07-30-20, 06:05 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
It's the funny thing about forum discussions... you never know when you will learn something new.

I've been following the allen key talk and wondering how in the heck you remove pedals with one, imagining somehow putting them through the pedal portion or something. Finally I googled it. I've never taken a pedal off from the back like that! What the heck

These days I use a stronger wrench and a rubber mallet and have gotten quite good at giving them the right kind of whack. A pedal hasn't defeated me in a while.
yup, I've learned all kinds of interesting and useful stuff here. One of the reasons I enjoy the place.
Rubber mallet and right kind of whack generally works for me too.

and hey, how goes the "Space Shuttle on the launchpad" lookalike seat project going? What were you doing, just painting it (and that was primer I presume?)
Old 07-30-20, 06:22 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Funny,I was switching some pedals this afternoon and looked at my old Parks thing, and sure enough, it's one. Bought it a long time ago
It does weigh 98g while my 7mm full length Allen key weighs 44g, so nice not to take it anymore.

All the little numbers do add up.
The weight number works out quite well for the RW-1 if you want/need to carry a 32 mm headset wrench as well as have the capability of removing pedals.

Truth be told I have not always carried a wrench for the headset on my most recent tours. Sometimes I relied on a short allen wrench for installing the pedals. When it comes right down to it you can pretty much always find someone who will lend you a big adjustable wrench for the headset in a pinch. Also for my usage a pedal wrench need only be for assembling the bike so no big deal about getting stubborn pedals off. I just don't need to do that on tour until the end and figure I don't need to carry a wrench for the whole tour for that.

If you have 8 mm allen friendly pedals a nice solution is to take a 1" stub of allen wrench and use a little 8 mm ignition or other little box end wrench to turn it. If you happen to have a crank that pulls with an 8 mm allen or other 8 mm stuff it can do double duty.

Getting the pedals off to go home usually isn't an issue for me since I typically pay a bike shop to pack it and ship it home. While I like to assemble the bike in the airport and ride right out of the terminal, I find it to be so much less hassle at the end of the trip to just drop it off and head home without it.
Old 07-30-20, 08:31 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
yup, I've learned all kinds of interesting and useful stuff here. One of the reasons I enjoy the place.
Rubber mallet and right kind of whack generally works for me too.

and hey, how goes the "Space Shuttle on the launchpad" lookalike seat project going? What were you doing, just painting it (and that was primer I presume?)
That's what a bare metal sandblasted seat looks like. I'm redoing it for this build. I've had the bike for a long time waiting for the right kind of seat to show up; which came off this 1930's frame that is shot. Now I'm looking for some thick leather.

Old 07-30-20, 10:36 AM
djb

Originally Posted by staehpj1
The weight number works out quite well for the RW-1 if you want/need to carry a 32 mm headset wrench as well as have the capability of removing pedals.

Truth be told I have not always carried a wrench for the headset on my most recent tours. Sometimes I relied on a short allen wrench for installing the pedals. When it comes right down to it you can pretty much always find someone who will lend you a big adjustable wrench for the headset in a pinch. Also for my usage a pedal wrench need only be for assembling the bike so no big deal about getting stubborn pedals off. I just don't need to do that on tour until the end and figure I don't need to carry a wrench for the whole tour for that.

If you have 8 mm allen friendly pedals a nice solution is to take a 1" stub of allen wrench and use a little 8 mm ignition or other little box end wrench to turn it. If you happen to have a crank that pulls with an 8 mm allen or other 8 mm stuff it can do double duty.

Getting the pedals off to go home usually isn't an issue for me since I typically pay a bike shop to pack it and ship it home. While I like to assemble the bike in the airport and ride right out of the terminal, I find it to be so much less hassle at the end of the trip to just drop it off and head home without it.
Oh I agree. I have no recollection of when I bought this thing, but it must have been in the early 90s because I do remember having a stupidly long and heavy combined tool-headset and that hooked shape for ball bearing bb's, and I carried it and a chain whip and probably other stuff that weighed a ton on a trip before I learned better. So the smaller tool was a nice improvement.
Since my bikes have been threadless and since I too discovered the allen key hole on my pedals, and I found the allen key works well enough, it was nice to reduce the weight and volume of not carrying the rw-1 parks tool.
Old 07-30-20, 10:53 AM
djb

That's what a bare metal sandblasted seat looks like. I'm redoing it for this build. I've had the bike for a long time waiting for the right kind of seat to show up; which came off this 1930's frame that is shot. Now I'm looking for some thick leather.
cool. Sandblasting is always amazing how stuff pretty grotty can look so good afterwards. There is some youtube channel Ive seen in the past where they take old totally rusted stuff, I seem to recall an old totally rusted anvil once, and restore things so that they look new again. Pretty impressive--like the seat here. It looks great now.
So its a metal top flat part also, and leather is to be laid on top of it?

cool project thats for sure.
Ive mentioned this before, but if you ever get a chance to ride a Penny Farthing, jump on it. Very very neat and fun and scary experience. I'd own a replica if I had oodles of noodles.
Old 08-15-20, 04:48 PM
Happy Feet

Just got back from a two week mixed tour (paddleboarding, free diving, biking) in the Canadian Rockies. Took the folder for some hub and spoke rides.

Around Calgary:

Up the Highwood Pass (highest paved road in Canada):

And around Banff:

Old 08-15-20, 06:52 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Looks like the $200 CAD was well worth it. Congratulations.
Old 08-16-20, 09:17 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Looks like the $200 CAD was well worth it. Congratulations.
Thanks.

It worked pretty well, though the geometry is not what I would choose for a long distance tour. More like an old hybrid style than a road bike. But the wider range cassette handled the Pass well enough so it will do for most ordinary hills. I really see this as a take along bike for trips where packing smaller is needed or relaxed trips where mileage isn't a priority.

I had ordered some parts from Carradice for the trip but they only came while I was away, so I'll take some pics of them in the next day or two. Currently neck deep in photo editing.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 08-16-20 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-17-20, 06:41 AM
Tourist in MSN

I really see this as a take along bike for trips where packing smaller is needed or relaxed trips where mileage isn't a priority.
I store my folding bike in my truck. If I drive somewhere, I would have to pump up the tires but it is ready to roll other than that. My truck has that much storage space that is typically unused, which I recognize is not normal.

I considered taking my folder on Amtrak (the passenger train system in USA) for a bike tour because it met their criteria for a carry on item. Bought a folding rack for it (Racktime Foldit), etc. But in the end I flew to my destination on that trip and brought my S&S coupled bike instead. I have no idea what the Canadian trains have for folding bike policies, so this might not work for you if you wanted to try that.
Old 08-19-20, 08:54 AM
Happy Feet

While on my trip I received the part from Carradice I had wanted to take, the traditional rack for the saddlebag. One problem with saddlebags is that they are usually strapped to the bike by leather belts that are hard to undo (and redo) when you want to remove the bag, such as to take into the tent or when locked p for long periods. The Traditional rack solves that. Another option from Carradice is the SQR system but I didn't like the way it made the saddlebag lay.

This is the rack. It was quite small for what I was expecting but looks well made.

Little metal tabs fit into the eyelets on Brooks style saddles in a way that should hold fast (need to test it on the road). A lower bar rests against the rails (or springs on my flyer style saddle).

The saddlebag is then attached to the rack itself, which then is attached to the saddle.

When you want to remove the saddlebag, you remove the bag and rack together.

How it looks on my road bike. My folder is still in the travel bag at the moment.
The reason I chose this was that I want a modular system for my bags so they can transfer to any of my three main touring bikes as well as my commuter. This rack will fit any saddle with eyelets (or so it says!).