Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tool kit suggestions for new build

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-20, 12:03 PM
superjoe95

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm currently in the process of gathering parts for a basic gravel bike build I'm looking to put together this fall/winter. With that will come the need for tools. I do have a set that I bought close to 15 years ago that came in handy for some upgrades I made to my mountain bike. The kit contained similar tools to this kit here. After several moves, I still have the majority of the tools from that kit. I also have your basic allen key set, screw drivers, socket set, and wrenches for things around the house. Any recommendations on some tool kits that will get me everything I need? Was looking at the Park Tool Advanced Mechanic Tool Kit potentially. Hoping to keep it under $700 CDN if I can.
Old 08-11-20, 12:20 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I don't think you'll have any trouble what-so-ever keeping the tab below $700 even in Canadian money. You might even consider shopping for a work stand and wheel truing stand. Make sure your new wheel truing stand will open wide enough to handle your new rear hub.

What kind of bottom bracket? You may already have the BB tools that you'll need but every new generation of BB's seems to require different tools. My bet is your 15 year old too kit already contains everything else you are likely to need. Cable cutter? Cassette lock ring tool? 5 mm Allen key? Torx key for disc rotors?

I'll bet you don't have a torque wrench. I'd recommend a 3/8 drive one for 30 ft/lb bottom brackets and crank arm bolts and a light duty 1/4 drive one for fancy carbon stem bolts.
Old 08-11-20, 01:38 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,212 Posts
I'm with the Grouch. Get a nice, not necessarily extravagant, bike stand and truing stand Just buy any extra tools (like BB tool) as you need them. My crystal ball says come late fall tools will be more widely available, as all the fair weather cyclists buy video games instead.
Old 08-11-20, 02:37 PM
spookygeek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wouldnt buy a huge kit as there will be soo many tools you never will use. Just buy them as you need. Also check ebay as used ones can be an option.
Old 08-11-20, 04:39 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I don't think I own $700 worth of bicycle specific tools and that includes a PCS-4 bike stand that just I recently purchased.

Have to agree with the other guys. Buy the specific bottom bracket/free wheel/etc tools as you need them. Amazon is great for onesy twosy items.

Bike tools are also easy to fabricate.
Old 08-11-20, 04:53 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I lived without a stand for a long time until I got one for my birthday last year. It's nice, but... how much you'll ever use it depends on whether you plan on: a) building the bike and just riding it; b) cleaning and fussing over it after every ride; or, c) something in between. Following this forum for a while will reveal that there are both casual and enthusiast cyclists in all three camps. I'm not against tools, but they do take up space.
Old 08-11-20, 05:29 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I lived without a stand for a long time until I got one for my birthday last year. It's nice, but... how much you'll ever use it depends on whether you plan on: a) building the bike and just riding it; b) cleaning and fussing over it after every ride; or, c) something in between. Following this forum for a while will reveal that there are both casual and enthusiast cyclists in all three camps. I'm not against tools, but they do take up space.
I think that the older you get the more you'll appreciate having a bike work stand.
Old 08-12-20, 06:40 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
Spend your money on good wrenches and screwdrivers. Then go to General tools and get 2 or 3 sets of allen wrenches. Get Knipex pliers and diagonal cutters.