Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mavic MA40 Rear Wheel Stolen. Replacement Option Help?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-20, 08:29 PM
runninupthathil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hey y'all

Long story short my rear wheel got stolen off my bike in the bike room of my apartment complex last night. I'm super disappointed, and trying to figure out my options. I got this Mavic set (with Shimano RX100 hubs) off of an old Miyata I had a few years ago. I didn't realize they were kind of well regarded as older rims. Would it make sense to buy MA40 back wheel off of eBay?

I also saw these Araya 700c rims with Suntour Cyclone hubs in my area for $70. Would I be doing myself a disservice by getting those instead of a replacement MA40? I'm more of a weekend/just for fun rider and guess I could sell my front MA40 on eBay.

Any input would be appreciated. Trying to make the best of a really lame situation. Thanks !
Old 08-11-20, 09:55 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Sorry about the theft. The first step is to measure the dropout width. If it is 126mm, you can use a freewheel with the Cyclone wheels. “Some” Cyclone hubs have a cult following because they use sealed cartridge bearings.

Of course you will be limited to 6 or 7 speed freewheel.

John

Edit Added: I don’t recall a Suntour Cyclone with a freehub for a Suntour cassette. If the one you are looking at has a freehub, pass on it. But I doubt it does.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 08-11-20 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-11-20, 10:44 PM
runninupthathil

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the response! I think it has 130mm dropout? Would I still be able to use the freewheel?

The wheel set also comes with a 6 speed Suntour freewheel on it, but I have a Shimano Deore derailleur and someone else mentioned to me that those would not work together? Does that make any sense? Or would I have to get a Shimano freewheel?

Last edited by runninupthathil; 08-11-20 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-12-20, 01:26 AM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by runninupthathil
Hey y'all

Long story short my rear wheel got stolen off my bike in the bike room of my apartment complex last night. I'm super disappointed, and trying to figure out my options. I got this Mavic set (with Shimano RX100 hubs) off of an old Miyata I had a few years ago. I didn't realize they were kind of well regarded as older rims. Would it make sense to buy MA40 back wheel off of eBay?

I also saw these Araya 700c rims with Suntour Cyclone hubs in my area for $70. Would I be doing myself a disservice by getting those instead of a replacement MA40? I'm more of a weekend/just for fun rider and guess I could sell my front MA40 on eBay.

Any input would be appreciated. Trying to make the best of a really lame situation. Thanks !

I am almost sure I have an RX100 rear hub that I'm not using. It may also even be laced to an MA-40 but I'll have to check. I can let you know in the morning and if you're interested you can just pay me for shipping. Whatever that would be.

However, reading in in your posts you mention a free wheel. Are you positive it's a freewheel? The hub I have is a 7spd free hub.

Edit:
The Cyclone wheelset is worth $70 in my opinion especially if you don't have to pay for shipping. Just make sure they're true and the braking surface still has some life.

A 6 speed Suntour freewheel shouldn't give you trouble with Shimano unless your previous drivetrain is not 6 speeds. If you use friction shifters you there should be no issue at all.

Last edited by The_Joe; 08-12-20 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-12-20, 02:34 AM
runninupthathil

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The_Joe
I am almost sure I have an RX100 rear hub that I'm not using. It may also even be laced to an MA-40 but I'll have to check. I can let you know in the morning and if you're interested you can just pay me for shipping. Whatever that would be.

However, reading in in your posts you mention a free wheel. Are you positive it's a freewheel? The hub I have is a 7spd free hub.

Edit:
The Cyclone wheelset is worth $70 in my opinion especially if you don't have to pay for shipping. Just make sure they're true and the braking surface still has some life.

A 6 speed Suntour freewheel shouldn't give you trouble with Shimano unless your previous drivetrain is not 6 speeds. If you use friction shifters you there should be no issue at all.
Wow that would be super appreciated. I'm still awake trying to figure out what I want to do. This is the first time I've ever had anything stolen off a bike (surprisingly!) so I'm a bit upset still.

And I'm sure your right about the free hub, I'm not super knowledgable about wheels.

At least the Araya/Cyclone set sounds like a good choice, although it might be a little old for the late 80s Trek it would be going on. I feel like the MA-40s fit really "of era"

But I am running friction shifters! Thanks for clearing that up. I had just read about non-compatibility between Shimano/Suntour.

Let me know when you check in the morning. Like I said, I'd really appreciate that!
Old 08-12-20, 06:55 AM
The_Joe

Wow that would be super appreciated. I'm still awake trying to figure out what I want to do. This is the first time I've ever had anything stolen off a bike (surprisingly!) so I'm a bit upset still.

And I'm sure your right about the free hub, I'm not super knowledgable about wheels.

At least the Araya/Cyclone set sounds like a good choice, although it might be a little old for the late 80s Trek it would be going on. I feel like the MA-40s fit really "of era"

But I am running friction shifters! Thanks for clearing that up. I had just read about non-compatibility between Shimano/Suntour.

Let me know when you check in the morning. Like I said, I'd really appreciate that!
Here are some pictures. The hub is actually an MA-2 so you lose that anodized look. If you are interested I'll find a box and get you a quote. Not sure what that cost would be vs the price of those Cyclones.

Old 08-12-20, 07:46 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

What a great gesture!

As for the Cyclone hubs, if they are 126mm and your dropouts are 130mm, I would pass. A freewheel hub is not as strong as a freehub and extending it another 2mm-4mm would weaken it more.

John
Old 08-12-20, 11:28 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
There has been one on Baltimore Craigslist for months now

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/bop...173825876.html

I rode this exact same wheel for over 30 years before a busted chain ate the spokes. Ended up lacing a Velocity fusion rim onto the 30 year old specialized hub because it was still running so smooth. Honestly thought about respoking the original rim, but figured it would be a false economy.

Dang, didn't realize my freehub was so weak. Over 30 years of a >100 kg rider with never a single problem.
Old 08-12-20, 12:55 PM
runninupthathil

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The_Joe
Here are some pictures. The hub is actually an MA-2 so you lose that anodized look. If you are interested I'll find a box and get you a quote. Not sure what that cost would be vs the price of those Cyclones.
Wow thanks so much for the offer. Means a lot that people can actually be so nice with everything going on right now. I'm not really sure what the cost of shipping a wheel would be? $50 maybe?

After doing a little more precise measuring it looks like my drop out width is 126mm. I'm thinking I might just go take a look at these Arayas today because they're only like 15 min away.

Can I get back to you after I look at them this afternoon? Thanks again
Old 08-12-20, 01:31 PM
70sSanO

The freehub on the RX100 hub has a UG/HG freehub body. There is a good chance that it is a 7 speed and a good chance they are 126mm; in case the Arayas don’t work out.

John
Old 08-12-20, 03:56 PM
The_Joe

Get back to me whenever. I'm a big fan of the entire Cyclone line so you might find those work well for you. "era appropriate" aside they're quality hubs.

Re-reading my previous post I accidentally said the hub was an MA-2. What I meant was that the rim is an MA-2. Hopefully that was clear anyway.

Last edited by The_Joe; 08-12-20 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-12-20, 08:32 PM
runninupthathil

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well I hopped on FB marketplace (which I hadn't checked) after my GF recommended it this morning. And I happened to find a set of MA-2s laced to RX-100, and just went and picked them up for $100.

I had a little bit of a tough time decided between them and the Arayas but they were closer so I thought why not. They are in great condition and I'm pretty happy with the deal! Hoping I made the right choice.

Thanks again The_Joe for the offer. Really really appreciate it. Now I've got to put my M-40 up for grabs on here if someone wants to pay shipping for it.

Last edited by runninupthathil; 08-13-20 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-14-20, 01:17 AM
The_Joe

Well I hopped on FB marketplace (which I hadn't checked) after my GF recommended it this morning. And I happened to find a set of MA-2s laced to RX-100, and just went and picked them up for $100.

I had a little bit of a tough time decided between them and the Arayas but they were closer so I thought why not. They are in great condition and I'm pretty happy with the deal! Hoping I made the right choice.

Thanks again The_Joe for the offer. Really really appreciate it. Now I've got to put my M-40 up for grabs on here if someone wants to pay shipping for it.
Great news! Happy to have been a modicum of assistance. I saw your other post about your growing collection of wheels now. Haha.

If cycling, especially c&v is going to be a thing for you, I'd hold on to all of the wheels. You never know when you'll need to replace something, rebuild something, or even trade for a part you need.