Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Strap on pedals for Eroica, how much of a PITA?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Strap on pedals for Eroica, how much of a PITA?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-20, 10:51 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
I just don't pull my straps tight on the bikes that have them. Never had an issue with it. I ride them with Giro Rumble shoes. In and out is easy, and the clips help keep my feet from sliding forward, which is an issue for me.
Great minds think alike! Toeclips and straps on every bike I own, and Giro Rumbles are my current favorite shoes, since I can no longer get Avocet Touring I or II, which were the absolute best of all time. I tighten the straps as far as I can and still jerk a foot out as/when needed.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Last edited by John E; 08-13-20 at 10:57 AM.
Likes For John E:
Old 08-13-20, 11:00 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
In my opinion, cleats are both the most "dangerous" part of this proposition for the learner, and also the most overrated in terms of the additional advantage. Using straps helps keep your foot positioned where it should be on the pedal (provided they're the right size) so that the ball of the foot is over the spindle, and foot is centered over the pedal; and that's the most important thing. Next is that you can pull up as well as push down, which helps when accelerating or climbing. Riding this way, you can loosen or tighten the strap as you learn, and are comfortable with, and it's not really difficult to get out of when you need to, provided that you're mindful of the need to pull feet off pedals toward the rear -- that just becomes instinct after a bit of practice.

A combination that works for me well is MKS GR-9 pedals (somewhat narrower and lighter than the GR-10s shown in DiabloScott's post above - nothing wrong with those, though) with normal clips and straps, and Onitsuka Tiger track-type shoes. I prefer the traditional Mexico 66, but the Serrano is OK too. I have quite wide feet, but these fit really well, and like "true" cycling shoes, keep the width of one's foot to a minimum, which is a help when riding with clips and straps.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 08-13-20 at 11:13 AM.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 08-13-20, 11:14 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Yeah, there are toe clip / strap devices with cleats that snap into clipless pedals. You also have the option of loosening the straps and sliding your feet out, leaving them on the pedals. I'm surprised that Eroica would allow that. Then again, it was Tom Ritchey.....

Gotta wonder what he did at brief stops, whether he snapped out (which I would think would be frowned upon) or slid his foot out of the clip. (Oh, that's right, it was Tom, he probably track-stood every stop.... )
He snapped out and walked around with the cages strapped to his shoes.

i believe that was also the year that he and his group got into some trouble descending Santa Rita at a more furious rate than permitted by trail conditions...
Old 08-13-20, 12:40 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
He snapped out and walked around with the cages strapped to his shoes.
I was wondering more about brief stops not getting off the bike.

i believe that was also the year that he and his group got into some trouble descending Santa Rita at a more furious rate than permitted by trail conditions...
No surprise. I've never met the man, only seen him in videos, past and present. One thing in common is that "I've never grown up" look in his eyes.
Old 08-13-20, 05:39 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
Clips, straps and cleats aren't a PITA. But if you do something wrong and can't get your foot out, they can be a PIT leg, hip, arm, hand, wrist, shoulder and/or collar bone. Oh, and head, too (but you'll have your leather hairnet on so you'll be okay there. )
Old 08-13-20, 06:03 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Straps are not that hard to get used to. After a few rides you wont even notice yourself getting in and out of them.

Get some good cycling shoes (good luck) and some cleats to go with the pedals. Make sure your cleats are aligned with your shoes so you dont have any knee issues and get out and ride.

I used straps for 17 years until 1990 when I finally broke down and bought LOOK pedals... My Avatar has me in toe clips.
Old 08-17-20, 12:23 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
Straps are not that hard to get used to...... I used straps for 17 years until 1990 when I finally broke down and bought LOOK pedals... My Avatar has me in toe clips.
I too rode and raced in toe clips, early 80s through mid 90s. It's a scary thought when you first begin using them, but after awhile, no big issue. I never cinched down so much i killed the circulation in my feet, but racing criteriums, they were pretty snug. The adrenaline that flows if you forget and are about to fall at a stop light helps you yank your foot out so quickly, there's no need to loosen the straps. And in the 2-3 crashes i've been in, i was on the ground on my back separated from the bike (and pedals) so quickly, i never had time to think about the clips lol

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 08-17-20, 05:36 PM
64Pete

Bikes: 6 or 7 Raleighs, a Schwinn, a Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I don't own any clipless pedals. None, nada.
The road bikes all get old style pedals and straps. Any other bikes I ride are flat pedals of some kind.
I was once described as being as graceful as a one legged Ostrich- but I manage to get feet in and out ok.
I have seen as many or more clipless riders fall over at stop signs as I have fallen myself.
Just be sure to practice before you get to your ride!

The pedals and super lightweight bikes are not my problems, time on the bike, losing a bit more weight, and getting up them hills is where it's at for me.

Pete
Likes For 64Pete:
Old 08-17-20, 11:20 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 365 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
I saw Tom Ritchey at Eroica California a few years ago at the top of Cypress Mountain. He was off the bike but there were clips and straps on his shoes as he was walking around. Apparently he just rode in his normal clip-less pedals and attached the clips and straps to the shoe! Brilliantly original thinking.
I saw Ritchey’s clips attached to shoes rather than pedals trick at Eroica as well...very clever and I still tell folks who are intimidated to ride Eroica because of the toe clip requirement about his trick.

As far as the question goes, just practice with loose straps and no cleats, its not all that difficult. For Eroica Ive used an off-road cycling shoe w/o the cleat attached and the straps only snuggly cinched as I’m on a tandem. The tread on sole of off-road shoe gives my foot enough bite to the pedal while still allowing me to easily pull my foot out.
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 08-18-20, 01:57 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
As many have stated, don't use cleats. There's no reason for them if you're not racing and they are the primary factor in falling when coming to a stop. I'm actually quicker getting into my clips/straps than my buddies are getting into their clipless pedals when starting off.

Something nobody has mentioned is that you should be sure to get pedals that are designed for clips and straps. That means that they should have a strap guide on the inside edge that stops the strap from interfering with the crankarm, and a flip tab on the back of the pedal that you use to flip the pedal over when starting out. There are a number of pedals that don't have these features and they make getting into the clips/straps vastly easier than without. Here is a photo showing these two features Most prominent is the flip tab...the inside strap guide is that bent piece of the cage near the screw threads on the pedal on the right):

Campagnolo record pedals with straps
Old 08-18-20, 07:59 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 279 Posts
I must say that I find this thread most depressing and distressing. I never imagined that I would read such a thing. And on the C&V forum?

My God !
Old 08-18-20, 08:14 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
I must say that I find this thread most depressing and distressing. I never imagined that I would read such a thing. And on the C&V forum?

My God !
Are you referring to the fear of toe clips and straps? A little odd, yes, but if you didn't grow up riding them, I can see how it might be a little intimidating.

BITD it was like a merit badge. Everyone knew good bikes always have clips and straps. You got them sometime after learning to ride no hands, but before getting cycling clothes. They really are not difficult.

Slotted cleats are really no big deal either. I've probably ridden them most of my lifetime miles. I only fell over once. It was at the very first stop sign, on my very first ride with cycling shoes. I had totally forgot they were there, and did not loosen my strap. Sure it was embarrassing, but I never did it again, ever, in like 63 gazillion stops. If you forget to turn your foot with a clipless pedal, you'll fall over too.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 08-19-20, 11:14 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 311 Posts
I have done The California Eroica twice, and used toe clips/straps/cleats with Vittoria 1976 shoes.

Tough call if I will run them again.

ETA- As posted above, if you didn't cut your teeth riding this system, it's not really worth it to learn it now. I have had years of riding this setup under my belt, and feel very comfortable. Learning something in your youth imparts a level of confidence (perhaps misplaced) and nostalgia that is quite satisfying.

Last edited by Erzulis Boat; 08-19-20 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-19-20, 01:04 PM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
just 2 quick thoughts: those that complain of toes going to sleep are using toe clips that are too long
they do come in sizes! also if you're only going to use clips for this one ride why not go for half-clips
with out straps. positions the foot properly with no possibility of getting stuck. still in production from MKS
Old 08-19-20, 01:58 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Clips, straps and cleats aren't a PITA. But if you do something wrong and can't get your foot out, they can be a PIT leg, hip, arm, hand, wrist, shoulder and/or collar bone. Oh, and head, too (but you'll have your leather hairnet on so you'll be okay there. )
I believe you're being a bit too pessimistic. As long as you're moving being strapped or clipped in is never a problem. It's when you stop, and have forgotten which system you're using, that you'll fall over. Done that when getting acquainted with clips, and a few years later when trying clipless for the first time. Unless you're very unlucky the only thing that will be damaged is your ego.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 08-21-20, 08:04 PM
ofgow

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
necessary for Eroica?

Pars said: “If you can't get used to toe clips/straps, just use flat pedals. No one will care.”

Oldairhead said: “I saw Tom Ritchey at Eroica California a few years ago at the top of Cypress Mountain. He was off the bike but there were clips and straps on his shoes as he was walking around. Apparently he just rode in his normal clip-less pedals and attached the clips and straps to the shoe! Brilliantly original thinking.”

The Golden Boy said: “I have my straps on, but not tightened. I could just use the clips- the straps are just there for appearance.”

Erzulis Boat said: “if you didn't cut your teeth riding this system, it's not really worth it to learn it now. I have had years of riding this setup under my belt, and feel very comfortable. Learning something in your youth imparts a level of confidence (perhaps misplaced) and nostalgia that is quite satisfying.”

I did Eroica Gaiole last year and observed numerous participants using platform pedals several others using “half clips” (no straps). As near as I could determine, Eroica’s vaunted tech inspection consisted of nothing more than a guy standing near the table where they funnel everyone through at the start. He looked at all the bikes, but never challenged anyone as far as I could see. If you had down tube shifters and non-aero brake levers you were good to go. Eroica California might be a different kettle of fish.
Likes For ofgow:
Old 08-21-20, 08:19 PM
madpogue 

Does Eroica require clips and straps? Or do they prohibit clipless? Two COMPLETELY different things.
Old 08-22-20, 09:12 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
Whats the trick to using straps and not getting your foot caught and crashing ?
There is no trick, as nearly as I can see. In an emergency, their is no way that I could disengage from the pedals. Wearing/using SPD, I can be out of the pedals without thought and in less than a blink of an eye.

Nothing on Earth will ever get me to use Rat Traps and straps again! I cannot even find rat that will use them Being forced to wear a helmet and prevented from wearing SPD shoes strikes me as inconsistent.. Anyway, not being allowed to wear SPDs would be one and the main one reason why I would not participate in an Erocia event. Being told to wear a helmet would clinch the deal.. Though I would really like to participate in an Erocia event, I am all but positive that I will never do so.

I am a SPD guy all the way.
Old 08-22-20, 09:21 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Just use flat pedals without cages or straps.
Nobody cares.
Agree since this is what you are using and probably would not benefit from the straps anyway, ie develop and use the pull up stroke.
Straps take practice and best to start loose until you have confidence removing your feet(s)
Old 08-22-20, 10:08 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
I rode toe clips and leather straps from about 1980 to about 5 years ago. I never really thought about them being a challenge to use..just use them correctly and there's no issue.

Most folks have a preferred foot to take out at a stop..mine is the right. I always wore Sidi leather soled shoes with the nylon-slotted cleat that fit over the edge of Campy pedals. In my case I'd tighten my left foot down and leave the right foot just loose enough to get a foot out..or more likely I'd tighten my right foot down and loosen the strap with my thumb if I came to a stop. Loosening the strap is an easy habit if you have your straps set up correctly. Below is setup almost right:

To loosen the strap just press briefly on the pointed release with your thumb..an easy and quick maneuver...and pop your foot out. The part that isn't correct in this pic is the threading of the strap through the pedal. The strap should have a full twist in it after it goes through the outside of the pedal and before it goes through the inside of the pedal. The twist keeps the strap in place so it doesn't move when you loosen the strap buckle with your thumb during a ride.

All this is an unconscious habit when you ride...much like snapping your foot loose with an SPD setup. I used them for 35 years and never went down because of them. Pretty straight-forward.

Last edited by fishboat; 08-22-20 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-22-20, 10:20 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I attached toe clips and straps to my son’s bike after he slid his foot off twice in one ride.
he complained. Then understood, the feet stayed in place. He could climb faster, much to my chagrin.
when I commute I just use “tennis” shoes.
any serious ride, cleats. So much more efficient.
granted I have 48 years doing this- it is second nature to cinch then release one foot upon starting and stopping.
it is so much muscle memory now I still reach down when I am using clipless pedals.
the advantages so outweigh the extra effort.

i did get my son to try cleats, he appreciated the add d power with little cost but still prefers shoes without cleats.

he uses Campagnolo form factor pedals with the backside tooth to help engagement.
Old 08-22-20, 11:37 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Agree since this is what you are using and probably would not benefit from the straps anyway, ie develop and use the pull up stroke.
Straps take practice and best to start loose until you have confidence removing your feet(s)
Actually, Eroica is the only time I use platforms. The rest of the time I use MTB SPD’s.
I’m so used to ‘the pull up stroke’ that when I first put on the platforms for Eroica I keep yanking my feet off the pedals!
Old 08-23-20, 08:06 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Actually, Eroica is the only time I use platforms. The rest of the time I use MTB SPD’s.
I’m so used to ‘the pull up stroke’ that when I first put on the platforms for Eroica I keep yanking my feet off the pedals!
I know you are a veteran of classic's.

My comment was targetted at the thread creator and this was not clear since I responded to your post.
Old 08-23-20, 12:49 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Does Eroica require clips and straps? Or do they prohibit clipless? Two COMPLETELY different things.
Eroica pays homage to the period when the likes of Ottavio Bottechia, Gino Bartali and Felice Gimondi ruled the Giro d'Italia and the Tour de France. And your bike should reflect that, by either being period-correct or a modern tribute.

Either way, clipless pedals don't fit the picture.

Having said that, if you show with your orange Stella, all dressed up like Louison Bobet, everyone will understand that your size 14 feet will not fit toe clips and you're using platforms.

Old 08-23-20, 02:42 PM
madpogue 

^^^^^ The "spirit" of Eroica is well-documented and has been discussed at length. So the OP is not requied to use clips and straps; that would have been a more useful answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.