Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Weighing Potential Upgrades to Trek 7.2 FX

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-12, 07:56 PM
TrekCommuter

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.2 FX & 2015 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

All,

I've been thinking about adding a few items to my bike, which I primarily use for commuting, but would also like to use for some very informal group rides on the weekends. What are your thoughts on the following?

1.) Brooks B17 Saddle. Seems like most people really like these. The additional maintenance/leather care would not bother me.

2.) Shimano pd-m324 pedals. I like the fact that street shoes or SPD bike shoes can be used with these. Anyone have experience with these?

3.) Does anyone utilize a "speed box" for cell phone/wallet storage while on their bike?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-12, 08:17 PM
Cyiu23

Bikes: Trek SOHO Deluxe, Dahon Eco6, Mongoose GSX 9.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fully agree with your choice of saddle, I swear by my B17. I am currently waiting for my B17 Special that I hope to get tomorrow.
Old 07-19-12, 11:57 AM
umazuki

Bikes: Crossrip Elite, Bikesdirect tarck bike custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
REI has the Brooks B17, but I believe you'd have to order it online - I don't think any stores stock it. I mention this because the Brooks is quite a divisive thing - either you love it, or you hate it. If the B17 doesn't work out for you, REI will make it right.

As for your other questions, I wouldn't run clipless on a hybrid (just my opinion), and I just put them in my pockets, but I just wear cheapo Target polyester shorts (with a padded cycling liner underneath).
Old 07-19-12, 12:59 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
No opinion on the Brooks; I run clipless on everything but don't have experience with those exact pedals; and I bought a couple of mini-saddle bags on eBay. They mount over the top tube at the head tube and have a cell phone pocket on top and small bags on the sides for wallet and other stuff. They came from China so shipping took a while but they were pretty cheap and quite functional.
Old 07-19-12, 01:27 PM
MK313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a 7.6. No opinion on the pedals/saddle, but I have used a couple of different speed boxes. I bought a fuel belt one that attaches to the top tube. I don't particularly care for it. It seems like it doesn't hold tight. I have no worry that it will fall off, as it is held on by 4 pieces of velcro, butit always seems to lean to the side. I have also used a Rocketbox or something like that. It's a small box that fits in a bottle cage. if you have an extra cage to spare & arent' looking to carry anything large, those are the way to go in my opinion. I find mine quite useful for my wallet & phone.
Old 07-19-12, 01:56 PM
devindawson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekCommuter
2.) Shimano pd-m324 pedals. I like the fact that street shoes or SPD bike shoes can be used with these. Anyone have experience with these?
Added Shimano PD-A530 SPD Dual Platform Bike Pedal on a Trek 7.1 FX that's used strictly for commuting. For me it was a clear improvement over the stock platforms without toe clips, I felt generally more secure on the bike and as a bonus appear to have consistently cut 2 minutes off of a 40 minute commute time. I bike in the rain often (Hilo rains 275 days out of the year), and these have pretty clearly stopped the occasional foot slips. That said, I very rarely ride it without the SPD cleats, so I can't give you much guidance on how compromised the platform riding is. Nor did I demo against the pedals that you specifically asked about.
Old 07-19-12, 02:12 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by umazuki
REI has the Brooks B17, but I believe you'd have to order it online - I don't think any stores stock it. I mention this because the Brooks is quite a divisive thing - either you love it, or you hate it. If the B17 doesn't work out for you, REI will make it right.
Actually, lots of bike stores have Brooks saddles, but the choice and availability depends on how many LBS your area/town/region has. If your area has a specialty bike shops (folding, import, custom frames, etc.), then those are likely the ones that carry Brooks saddles.
Old 07-19-12, 03:53 PM
TrekCommuter

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.2 FX & 2015 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Great advice. Thanks, guys! I really like the look of the Brooks as it appears to be very well made.
Old 07-19-12, 05:32 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't leather seats get spoiled in rain?