Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What Front Light Should I Get?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 07-24-12, 11:15 PM
mysta02

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm fairly new here and to cycling in general. I currently use one of those cheap 9-LED flashlights mounted to my handlebars via and elastic band to light my way home from work.... I'm looking to upgrade and I'm not sure what to get. I bought a couple of MEC 1-Watt lights that I'm going to mount to the forks or to the handlebars, but I want BRIGHT. I considered a Petzl Tikka XP 2 Core headlamp mounted to the bike, but never seen one in action. Nite Ize also sells a front lamp for about $45 and it's quite bright.

What are people using these days? I want bright and I want it decently priced - maybe about $100. Less is ok, but not much over $100. I'm not made of money, but where my safety is concerned, I don't mind shelling out SOME cash.

Thanks for any info you can throw my way
Mysta02
Old 07-25-12, 07:19 AM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
A NiteRider Minewt 600 cordless is now on sale for $100 at my school's LBS (PDX.edu's Bike Hub). If I didn't have one already, I'd snap that up in a New York minute.

My belief is that you always go with the brightest (rechargeable) light you can afford as a primary light, and then have a battery powered backup as a fall back (oops, forgot to recharge or other problem) and you won't be the guy riding a bike with a firefly in a fireworks display kind of rider.
Old 07-25-12, 07:29 AM
Big Lebowski

Bikes: Trek 9th District, CAAD 10, Crux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm ordering the USB Cygolite 350 from Amazon by the end of the week. I love my USB Cygolite taillight, so I am hopeful that the front light has the same quality.
Old 07-25-12, 07:32 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by mysta02
Hi all,

I'm fairly new here and to cycling in general. I currently use one of those cheap 9-LED flashlights mounted to my handlebars via and elastic band to light my way home from work.... I'm looking to upgrade and I'm not sure what to get. I bought a couple of MEC 1-Watt lights that I'm going to mount to the forks or to the handlebars, but I want BRIGHT. I considered a Petzl Tikka XP 2 Core headlamp mounted to the bike, but never seen one in action. Nite Ize also sells a front lamp for about $45 and it's quite bright.

What are people using these days? I want bright and I want it decently priced - maybe about $100. Less is ok, but not much over $100. I'm not made of money, but where my safety is concerned, I don't mind shelling out SOME cash.

Mysta02
I haven't used it yet (still injured) but my Light and Motion 360 is around $100 on Amazon and it throws out a LOT of light in a focused beam. My wife is loving her's, though she complains it looks dorky (helmet mounted). It also has amber side lights and a blinking rear. I bought mine @ REI for a bit more because I like their warranty policy and because I like supporting REI.
Old 07-25-12, 07:35 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Hi all,

Mysta02
Petzls and Nite Ize aren't all that bright. If you want bright, go for this one for your head and this one for the bike. You'll be right at $100 for both. I'm really not sure if there is a difference but I bought the first one recently and it is damned bright and has a higher capacity battery. Either would be roughly 10 times brighter than the Petzl or Nite Ize at the same cost.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-25-12, 08:35 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Best to go with two lights up front. One on the helmet and the other on the bars. I have the Cygolite Expilion which comes with mounts for both places. Light weight, so no issues on the helmet, and very bright with great run times. In rain, snow, and fog, a helmet light reflects too much light back into your eyes, so you want to have the option to move to the bars.
Old 07-25-12, 08:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I like my hub dynamo set up. LED Head and Tail lights, wired..
Old 07-25-12, 09:00 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
NiteRider is updating their lineup so last year's models are going down in price. The MiNewt 600 Cordless (which is being upgraded to a 650 for next year) is everywhere for about $100+ and is very good (as mentioned by K'Tesh). Actual measured lumens is in the high 400s and quality is very high. Click here https://reviews.mtbr.com/2012-bike-lights-shootout to see some comparisons with it and other lights. I'm using a NiteRider Pro 1500 which is a flamethrower, but it's more than you want to pay . . .
Old 07-25-12, 09:05 AM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use Cygolite Expillions, I feel they are great lights for the money.
https://www.cygolite.com/products/expilion350.html
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 07-25-12, 09:23 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...nder-50-thread
Old 07-25-12, 09:27 AM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
+1 - I have a dynohub and LED lights on my commuter, never have to worry about remembering to charge batteries - it is always there, always on.
Old 07-25-12, 06:14 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Petzls and Nite Ize aren't all that bright. If you want bright, go for this one for your head and this one for the bike. You'll be right at $100 for both. I'm really not sure if there is a difference but I bought the first one recently and it is damned bright and has a higher capacity battery. Either would be roughly 10 times brighter than the Petzl or Nite Ize at the same cost.
This. The newer versions of the Magicshine are what you're looking for.
Old 07-25-12, 08:03 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi all,

Mysta02
I use this light from Light and Motion. It plugs into a cell phone charger. I like it, but it's kind of expensive:

https://www.lightandmotion.com/bike/urban550.html
Old 07-25-12, 08:28 PM
MadCityCyclist

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Salsa Mukluk II, Trek 7500, Raliegh fixie, 3 SS cruisers, JC Higgins Color Flow, Junker Flying Jet, KHS F20-A, Worksman trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using a Magicshine for the past couple of years, which is around 900-1,000 lumens and I swear by it. One unexpected and welcome side effect is that when cars pass me, they give me an additional 2-3 feet more than normal. I have to use it on its lowest setting when on group rides because the people in front of me think a car is behind them.

There's basically two types of headlights: the cheap low-watt/low-lumen types are made for the bike to be seen by other types of traffic, they aren't really meant to light the way. The high output lights, however, are made to illuminate the path in front of the rider.

There's one caveat to the high output lights: they attract bugs at night so there's a good chance you will get hit in the faced by bugs...more than normal, anyway.
Old 07-25-12, 08:53 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Originally Posted by MadCityCyclist
There's one caveat to the high output lights: they attract bugs at night so there's a good chance you will get hit in the faced by bugs...more than normal, anyway.
Hahahaha! True! I always have to brush my teeth after night rides
Old 07-26-12, 01:27 AM
CANiHaveGasCash
uber n00b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MadCityCyclist
Very true! I've been commuting at night and I swear I have wiped out half of the moth population around here.
Old 07-26-12, 09:12 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CANiHaveGasCash
Very true! I've been commuting at night and I swear I have wiped out half of the moth population around here.
On the plus side, I have become very familiar with the local bat species. I think they view me as a rolling buffet.
Old 07-26-12, 09:25 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,852 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
NiteRider is updating their lineup so last year's models are going down in price. The MiNewt 600 Cordless (which is being upgraded to a 650 for next year) is everywhere for about $100+ and is very good (as mentioned by K'Tesh).
I looked this up and I'm glad I did. It looks like NiteRider finally has a screw-tight handlebar mount, replacing the ratcheting version that I could never quite get tight enough. Hopefully the new mount will be compatible with the MiNewt 600 because I love the light and would happily plunk down $20 or so to get a better mount for it.

If I were buying new, I'd spend the extra money for the new light (Universal Cycles has the 650 listed at $139.99, but not in stock yet).
Old 07-26-12, 10:06 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 272 Posts
Hi all,

I'm fairly new here and to cycling in general. I currently use one of those cheap 9-LED flashlights mounted to my handlebars via and elastic band to light my way home from work.... Thanks for any info you can throw my way
Mysta02
You need 2 bright lights, one on the bar, plus the most important one being on the helmet. When driving on city streets, the closest I have come to getting creamed at night was from traffic (cars and even worse: other bike riders) who do California stops on residential streets. These are idiots approaching you from the side, and only do rolling cursory checks for oncomings. It was only when they had 1,500 lumens focused right at them causing the back of their eyeballs to boil did they actually stop at the big obvious sign that said STOP. I can't count the number of times my big headlamp saved me.

Lights to get: Magicshine.
Old 07-26-12, 02:22 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I'm waiting for a manufacturer to make a light that has a built in, one shot, 20 MW (or so...) laser. Just enough to burn a hole in a think piece of sheet metal (like a trunk), or leave a nice word in the paint of that brand new Audi that almost ran you off the road.....
Old 07-26-12, 02:25 PM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
+1. Spend the money and do it right...once. SON hub, E-delux headlight and B&M Toplight tailight. No batteries, no worries.
Old 07-26-12, 02:27 PM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I'm waiting for a manufacturer to make a light that has a built in, one shot, 20 MW (or so...) laser. Just enough to burn a hole in a think piece of sheet metal (like a trunk), or leave a nice word in the paint of that brand new Audi that almost ran you off the road.....
LOL. Still need to lug around a few kJ of capacitors to fire the thing.
Old 07-26-12, 04:43 PM
CharlieFree

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Best to go with two lights up front. One on the helmet and the other on the bars. I have the Cygolite Expilion which comes with mounts for both places. Light weight, so no issues on the helmet, and very bright with great run times. In rain, snow, and fog, a helmet light reflects too much light back into your eyes, so you want to have the option to move to the bars.
I agree with the two-light system. You are also more likely to be seen. If those around you don't see one light, they will likely see the other.
Old 07-26-12, 05:29 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Aw heck, just go to Walmart and get the 3million candlepower halogen spotlight. Just cuz they weigh about 8 pounds is nothin'.....
Old 07-26-12, 05:46 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Originally Posted by Andy_K
I looked this up and I'm glad I did. It looks like NiteRider finally has a screw-tight handlebar mount, replacing the ratcheting version that I could never quite get tight enough. Hopefully the new mount will be compatible with the MiNewt 600 because I love the light and would happily plunk down $20 or so to get a better mount for it.

If I were buying new, I'd spend the extra money for the new light (Universal Cycles has the 650 listed at $139.99, but not in stock yet).
My 1500 Pro has the screw-tight mount and it is indeed a great improvement over the MiNewt's ratchet (which never quite gets tight enough)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.