Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-15, 06:21 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Marvelousmarkie
Make sure your steerer tube is indeed 1 1/8".
Oh, I'm sure. Got there the hard way. Thanks for the link.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 03-15-15, 06:31 PM
lotekmod

Bikes: '73 Flandria 3 speed, '84 Lotus Legend Compe, '87 Merckx Corsa Extra, '94 Kona Kilauea

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Oxley
Technically a hybrid, but close enough and hey, gotta post the finished project somewhere, right?
My wife's #1 ride, a '95 Trek 7900 Multitrack (also known as "The Great Grape," or "Honey Badger")

That bike is sweet! My Trek 750 hybrid drop bar, which is posted a few pages back, has turned out to be a great bike. It's pretty much the only bike I've ridden this winter and I consider it a long term keeper. Unless I found a 7900 like yours which I imagine would be even better than the 750.
Old 03-16-15, 02:06 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Here's my "before" picture. It's in "as-is" condition so I expect it will clean up very nicely.

I'll be using this mostly on the Des Plaines River Trail, which is a 56 mile more-or-less flat gravel path on the North side of Chicago.

I still haven't picked anything out, but I'm leaning towards a nitto technomic stem, dirt drop RM013 bars and silver bar end shifters. I'm also considering a dirt drop stem or a threadless adapter with the RM014 bars, so I'm interested in hearing any suggestions.

Old 03-16-15, 02:14 PM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This bike has surpassed expectations! 650b and drop bar conversion on a 1989 trek 950. 20 miles of singletrack in the mountains yesterday.

Old 03-16-15, 02:21 PM
orangeology

Bikes: i don't have a bike. a few frames, forks and some parts. that's all

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by whatwolf
This bike has surpassed expectations! 650b and drop bar conversion on a 1989 trek 950. 20 miles of singletrack in the mountains yesterday.
looking super! always loving the TA Cyclotouriste on a rigid mtb frame.
Old 03-16-15, 03:13 PM
mattk42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Here's my "before" picture. It's in "as-is" condition so I expect it will clean up very nicely.

I'll be using this mostly on the Des Plaines River Trail, which is a 56 mile more-or-less flat gravel path on the North side of Chicago.

I still haven't picked anything out, but I'm leaning towards a nitto technomic stem, dirt drop RM013 bars and silver bar end shifters. I'm also considering a dirt drop stem or a threadless adapter with the RM014 bars, so I'm interested in hearing any suggestions.

That looks spiffy! I like that it's a lugged MTB.

I'm currently drop bar converting a Specialized Rockhopper Comp. I originally decided on the Nitto RM013 bars, but the ebay seller didn't ship me the right ones (I'm guessing they don't actually stock them.) I since decided on Nitto Randonneur B135s.
Old 03-16-15, 03:33 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Since the Heavy Duty Huffy Commuter is complete, I got some fresh pics.......

Old 03-16-15, 05:23 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

If that's your saddle height, and the stem length is good as is with a flat bar for you, I would probably go with a Technomic. A Dirt Drop stem seems to be most useful when there's more of a saddle to bar height differential, and a short forward stem extension is needed (see my High Plains!). Basically... a good way to get vertical extension without going too far forward. Really like the bike, I'm always keeping an eye out for a Miyata MTB... I have a few other Miyatas I adore.

If you get a threadless adapter, you automatically lose your Miyata privileges and have to send the bike to me. Sorry, I don't make the rules.
Old 03-16-15, 05:47 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
What size of wheels/tires are on that Huffy? I forgot.

People might sneer at a Huffy, but if you like the frame, it feels good, and you're enjoying yourself, then by all means, run what ya brung. I read your original writeup, and it's clear that you hold that bike quite dear.
Old 03-16-15, 06:43 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
What size of wheels/tires are on that Huffy? I forgot.

People might sneer at a Huffy, but if you like the frame, it feels good, and you're enjoying yourself, then by all means, run what ya brung. I read your original writeup, and it's clear that you hold that bike quite dear.
Those are Araya 700c wheels with 700cX35 tires. I don't like Huffy bicycles, but I do like this one since it was the bike that got me started riding.
Old 03-16-15, 07:01 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@kingston I have a Nitto Dirt Drop stem on my Rockhopper Comp conversion and like it a lot. I needed a 26.0 clamp size for the Soma Portola bars, and bought it from Rivendell (think they're only ones who sell the 26.0 dirt drop). Nice bike.
@mattk42 - can't wait to see your Rockhopper Comp. Mine is an '88. What year & color scheme do you have?
Old 03-16-15, 07:36 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Velocivixen
@kingston I have a Nitto Dirt Drop stem on my Rockhopper Comp conversion and like it a lot. I needed a 26.0 clamp size for the Soma Portola bars, and bought it from Rivendell (think they're only ones who sell the 26.0 dirt drop). Nice bike.
@mattk42 - can't wait to see your Rockhopper Comp. Mine is an '88. What year & color scheme do you have?
I like the Portola bars a lot, but I can't find them for sale anywhere.

Originally Posted by seely
If that's your saddle height, and the stem length is good as is with a flat bar for you, I would probably go with a Technomic. A Dirt Drop stem seems to be most useful when there's more of a saddle to bar height differential, and a short forward stem extension is needed (see my High Plains!). Basically... a good way to get vertical extension without going too far forward. Really like the bike, I'm always keeping an eye out for a Miyata MTB... I have a few other Miyatas I adore.

If you get a threadless adapter, you automatically lose your Miyata privileges and have to send the bike to me. Sorry, I don't make the rules.
I should be able to make either a dirt drop or a technomic work with this bike to get the bars level with the saddle with the right reach. I also like the RM014, but it only comes with a 31.8 clamp area. Since there are no compatible quill stems, I would have to go with an adapter. Now that I know this will revoke my Miyata privileges, I'll have to rule that option out

Originally Posted by mattk42
That looks spiffy! I like that it's a lugged MTB.

I'm currently drop bar converting a Specialized Rockhopper Comp. I originally decided on the Nitto RM013 bars, but the ebay seller didn't ship me the right ones (I'm guessing they don't actually stock them.) I since decided on Nitto Randonneur B135s.
I have the 42cm B135s on my Wabi fixed gear. I like them very much, but I think I would like something a bit wider for this project.
Old 03-16-15, 07:51 PM
Velocivixen

@kingston - Soma sells their stuff online. One of my local co-ops happened to have one so I was lucky.
Old 03-16-15, 07:57 PM
mattk42

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 19 Posts
Yea, I'm really excited for it to come together. It's the "black" (looking closely I think it's daaaark purple) with yellow lettering and purple splashes. Not sure on the year; it has some parts that are definitely late 80s, but some that are possibly early 90s. I'm waiting on a few more parts to arrive this week and then I'll throw it together (after my finals, yay! spring break). I also need to soak the top tube portion in some oxalic yet, the inside of the top tube is rusty from what little I can see.
Old 03-16-15, 08:03 PM
blart

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts

awesome looking mtb
Old 03-17-15, 08:41 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

@Velocivixen: The soma store doesn't have any portolas available. I could get a black junebug, but the clamp area is 31.8 so I would have to go with a threadless adapter, which isn't really my preference.
Old 03-18-15, 07:23 PM
GeorgeOwnwell

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Converted my Hardrock with Gary 2s, Claris shifters, and travel agents for the V brakes. Liking it a lot so far. Still adjusting the cockpit.
Old 03-18-15, 07:27 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
@GeorgeOwnwellHow do you like the Gary 2's?
Old 03-18-15, 07:30 PM
GeorgeOwnwell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride nice. I'm thinking about cutting around 2 inchs of the drops off. The big reason I got them was that they were available ing 25.4 and silver.
Old 03-18-15, 11:04 PM
Velocivixen

@GeorgeOwnwell - I really like the combination of your saddle color with the very rich red. Very rich and, if I may say, elegant. Very classy. Your saddle looks to be the Antique Brown with copper rivets. How's the paint?
Old 03-18-15, 11:07 PM
Velocivixen

@kingston- Thanks for the information. I emailed Soma regarding the Portola bars and they responded,

"We have another run of Portola bars in production now. Not sure when they'll arrive, but likely in the next couple months if not sooner. I'd check with your local Soma dealer and online."

Nobody online actually has any. There's one place in Portland who I think might have them. I'll swing by tomorrow.
Old 03-19-15, 05:02 AM
GeorgeOwnwell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@GeorgeOwnwell - I really like the combination of your saddle color with the very rich red. Very rich and, if I may say, elegant. Very classy. Your saddle looks to be the Antique Brown with copper rivets. How's the paint?
Thanks! When I got the bike last year it had the original tires and was in perfect stock condition. I don't think it had a scratch on the paint. Not so much any more.. But as soon as I am happy with the bars I plan on using some antique brown leather tape and then silver full fenders when I get 2.0 tires. The saddle is the Brooks Team Pro in antique brown.
Old 03-19-15, 05:34 AM
merida

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like this very much. Unlike so many other bikes in this thread the individual parts blend together and make it look like this is how it was ment to be. If the frame had been a tad bigger (taller) it would have been absolutely perfect. Congratulations on a beautiful conversion.

[/QUOTE]
Old 03-19-15, 05:43 AM
seely
The Rabbi

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merida
I like this very much. Unlike so many other bikes in this thread the individual parts blend together and make it look like this is how it was ment to be. If the frame had been a tad bigger (taller) it would have been absolutely perfect. Congratulations on a beautiful conversion.
As a member of the long, long legs, short torso club, it looks perfect to me!

Old 03-19-15, 06:50 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by seely
As a member of the long, long legs, short torso club, it looks perfect to me!
I hear ya! I went out last night for a shake down on my Schwinn Sierra and decided the seat was a little low. When I go to raise it, I hit the "MAX HT" line. That ended up being a bit too high, but I only have about 1/2" of margin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.