Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What Not To Do With Close Passers

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

What Not To Do With Close Passers

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-18, 11:48 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
Political rhetoric of the day comes and goes, but the basic laws generally stay the same. However the jurors ultimately define what a reasonable doubt is, which is why juror selection has such a huge effect on case outcome. That is why a lot of times you get a decision that seems to fly in the face of logic, because you can get a jury that has biases stacked in one direction strong enough to make them decide to be more harsh, or sometimes to be more lenient.
And therein lies the biggest problem of the criminal justice system: the concept of a jury of your peers.

a person who is equal to another in abilities, qualifications, age, background, and social status.
something of equal worth or quality.

If you're a minority, how is a jury of all/mostly white people your peers? Where do you see each other? At the PTA meeting? The supermarket? Prayer meeting perhaps? Do you all work side by side? Hang out at the same bars, social clubs, gyms, etc.?

If the majority of those jurors don't look like you do then the concept of a "jury of your peers" is laughable. Just one of the many reasons I never have to worry about being chosen for jury duty.

IE I personally feel cosby case should have been thrown out even if the actions he did may have been true, since there is absolutely zero ability to prove his guilt beyond any reasonable definition of reasonable doubt 20+ years later, or even that there was any sort of assault at all after all this time. I mean any guy on earth who made an ex gf mad could have her make up a story decades later and put him in jail if that is truly enough for a conviction - or even someone he never had anything to do with at all but who doesn't like his politics, or something else about him.
This alone makes it a travesty of justice. As you suggest even if true he's getting judged by today's standards for something that was pretty routine two plus decades ago. No doubt the reason it wasn't brought to trial back then.
Going in the other direction we constantly see cases of cyclists snuffed out but the jurors (who themselves are probably nearly all drivers but not cyclists) seem to give out only the most nominal punishments to these drivers except in the very worst cases.
See above.
Old 11-11-18, 09:46 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InOmaha
Just your typical road rage. No different then if she would have cut off a car and the guy got out at the next light and bashed her window in with a tire iron.

Justify the incident anyway you want to in your mind, but remember if you decide to use violence don't be surprised if the violence escalates quickly and not in your favor.

The idea that a person in a car would be afraid to fight a person on a bicycle is laughable. What are you assuming the bicyclist is in better shape? As if people in cars don't workout. Some even workout using fight training as their mode of workout. If you break someone's window out with a bicycle pump you'd better be ready to go all the way to make sure that person doesn't stick it where you don't want it. It's probably why he saved up his rage and picked a person he thought he could intimidate into submission. If it was a truck full of construction guys, he'd have probably done the right thing instead and filed a complaint with a license plate number.

If he did it to me, I'd finish what the guy started and turn my dashcam video in to the police when they showed up. Bicyclists aren't the only people who record traffic to protect their interests.

On top of it, we've got the bicycle mafia people in the thread talking about torching people's cars. That gave me a chuckle. Great way to spend some years in prison.
what prison? just drive off, **** em
Old 11-11-18, 09:50 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
^This^
And FWIW, under existing NC laws governing the use of deadly force with concealed handgun carry permits, she would have been justified in NC to shoot the guy in response to his reaching in the window and threatening after smashing up her car in a rage. (Yes, I realize this is not in NC)
cyclists carry guns too.
Old 11-11-18, 11:08 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
I biked in a busy city grid from 15-55 years of age. I didn't give motorists three feet, and I didn't get three feet. So long as they don't hit me, I'm fine with close passes at speeds below 35 mph - which is the case on almost every street I use. I don't think it's even possible to give me three feet much of the time unless I ride against the curb or in the door zone. I expected close passes and my expectations were met daily.
Old 11-12-18, 12:08 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
Going in the other direction we constantly see cases of cyclists snuffed out but the jurors (who themselves are probably nearly all drivers but not cyclists) seem to give out only the most nominal punishments to these drivers except in the very worst cases.
Constantly see such cases, really? Can you point out aome specific snuffed cyclists cases where biased juries gave out the "most nominal punishments" to defendants who allegedly should have received much harsher punishment?

BTW, since when do juries "give out punishments" to convicted defendants?
Old 11-12-18, 11:56 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Constantly see such cases, really? Can you point out aome specific snuffed cyclists cases where biased juries gave out the "most nominal punishments" to defendants who allegedly should have received much harsher punishment?
One wonders why one would wait six months to ask Oneder one rhetorical question and one question.

BTW, Oneder was last seen posting here about six months ago.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-12-18 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-19-18, 11:40 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
There's about 1000 things I could think of to post in response to some of the asinine comments posted on here. But it would be a waste of effort toward some of the peon-brained "cycling advocates" participating in this thread, life's too short...
I was just wondering if there was going to be a third one of these threads. Please.
Old 11-19-18, 11:46 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Okay, this thread has descended into perdition again and guns are not a kosher topic. Come on, what is going on here? I'm asking to have the thread closed.

Sticking to Foo for a while...mind blown
Old 11-20-18, 04:36 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by italktocats
cyclists carry guns too.
Perhaps, but it's not a BF discussion topic.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html