Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Does anyone ride a Giant Escape1 Disc?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18, 01:23 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

Would like some feedback about this bike if possible. I saw one today and it has all the upgrades I would do to my current bike if I were to buy it now knowing what I did not know when I bought my current bike.Hopefully this sentence makes sense? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Frank.
Old 12-06-18, 02:26 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I test rode one before I bought my Roam earlier this year. It's a nice bike (I just didn't like its geometry as much as I liked the Roam's). It's primary features are a carbon fork, hydraulic disc brakes, and a 3x9 drivetrain. My Roam has a pretty much identical drivetrain. I didn't like the Altus shifters (it looks like the Escape comes with the same ones), and I replaced them with Acera M3000 shifters. They have nicer optical gear displays and the feel of the shifter is smoother, or not as clunky as it was with the lower grade Altus. The Escape does have plenty of room for larger tires; I don't know your preference on tire volume/size, but it appears to be able to take up to 38 or 40 mm tires if you so desired.

What about it do you like compared with your current bike?
Old 12-06-18, 02:44 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

hokiefyd
"What about it do you like compared with your current bike?"

Thank you for your response. I like the carbon fork, the disc brakes with large rotors, are the major changes I would make to my Quick 7. I had no idea what a modern bike was like as I had not ridden a bike since 2001 and that was a steel road bike. I do not think I would really notice a huge difference in the bike I have and the Giant but it is a nice looking piece.
Frank.
Old 12-06-18, 03:15 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
I have one, and did a write up of the upgrades I made along the way. Overall it's a great bike but at this price point there are a few things that can be improved.

I have close to 500 miles on it now and ride it quite often. My next upgrade will be a set back seatpost as the riding position is a bit too far forward for me.

Link here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...scape-1-a.html
Old 12-06-18, 05:31 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by Helderberg
Thank you for your response. I like the carbon fork, the disc brakes with large rotors, are the major changes I would make to my Quick 7. I had no idea what a modern bike was like as I had not ridden a bike since 2001 and that was a steel road bike. I do not think I would really notice a huge difference in the bike I have and the Giant but it is a nice looking piece.
If your Quick 7 is like this one, then it would be prohibitively expensive to change to disc brakes. The carbon fork and disc brake wheels will be at least $200-300 alone and then you'd have to figure out a rear disc brake adapter (or just run a front disc with rear rim brakes). Disc brakes are certainly not necessary for most riders, but they just feel terrific, especially hydraulic ones. In fact, one of the reasons I was bike shopping earlier this year (and bought my Roam) was to buy a bike with hydraulic brakes. They're so smooth, so consistent, and just so nice to use. I think you'll really enjoy having them.
Old 12-06-18, 11:34 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
hokiefyd
"What about it do you like compared with your current bike?"

Frank.
There is nothing wrong with having two modern bikes, it allows you to be more adventurous in doing your own maintenance work, knowing if you really stuff something up so that you have to take it to a LBS to fix up, you can still ride your other bike.

What's more, it is very normal for someone who comes back to cycling after a long time, to find that with more knowledge and miles ridden, their current bike is no longer that suitable, so get another bike for that reason too.
Old 12-08-18, 06:57 PM
Helderberg

Need some opinions.

Do any of you own or have owned a Giant Escape 1 Disc? I rode 2019 today and found it to be a very comfortable and solid bike.
Would like to hear from any one that has owned one like it in the Giant line. Seriously thinking of picking it up but need more info.
Thanks in advance, Frank.
Old 12-08-18, 08:42 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Do any of you own or have owned a Giant Escape 1 Disc? I rode 2019 today and found it to be a very comfortable and solid bike.
Would like to hear from any one that has owned one like it in the Giant line. Seriously thinking of picking it up but need more info.
Thanks in advance, Frank.

I replied on your other thread, but here it is again.

Originally Posted by Bryan C.
I have one, and did a write up of the upgrades I made along the way. Overall it's a great bike but at this price point there are a few things that can be improved.

I have close to 500 miles on it now and ride it quite often. My next upgrade will be a set back seatpost as the riding position is a bit too far forward for me.

Link here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...scape-1-a.html
Old 12-08-18, 08:48 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by Bryan C.
I replied on your other thread, but here it is again.
Yes, and I appreciated you post. I was hoping here to get some feedback on a stock, unmodified bike. While your upgrades are outstanding I have not your knowledge or ability to do something like that. Your result is outstanding but mine will be as is plus some toe cages if it goes through.
Thank you again, Frank.
Old 12-08-18, 09:18 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Yes, and I appreciated you post. I was hoping here to get some feedback on a stock, unmodified bike. While your upgrades are outstanding I have not your knowledge or ability to do something like that. Your result is outstanding but mine will be as is plus some toe cages if it goes through.
Thank you again, Frank.
I think the bike in stock form was pretty nice. I rode a bit on it just to work out whatever bugs may arise before tinkering with it. Low gearing, wide handlebars, and a comfortable riding position made me buy it.

I also felt it was a great value when compared to similar offerings from Trek and Specialized. However, I think the Trek FX3 is worth a serious look and is only $70 more.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...?colorCode=red

The biggest complaint I had are the heavy tires. That was a big improvement when they were swapped out. I also touched on the fact it is pretty heavy overall, and has outdated QR style wheel mounting. At this price point there will always be room for improvement but as is the bike is a good choice.

If I had to do it over again I would buy the new Specialized Sirrus X-comp. Although it is more than double the price of the Escape. It got released after I made my purchase. It's about as much as I have currently invested in my bike.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=239583-159152

Last edited by Bryan C.; 12-08-18 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-08-18, 09:32 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I have a 2018 Giant Escape Disc. It replaced a 2016 Giant Escape 1 (non-disc) when the frame developed a crack. I love the bike. It suits the type of riding I do and has the right geometry for my body. I've had no issues with 2018 since I got it. I ride every day and average about 130 miles per week. I had put Specialized Crossroads Armadillos on the 2016 Escape and put them on the new bike. I found the original tires didn't last very long. I also put on the Ergon grips I had on the old bike. No other mods other than that.

Last edited by jskash; 12-08-18 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-08-18, 09:49 PM
Helderberg

Thank you for your replies. I bought the Quick earlier this year and buying the Escape is putting the husband/wife dynamic on thin ice. Not a real problem but it has to be a consideration. This is truly a situation where I wish I knew then what I know now. Nothing wrong with the Cannondale but with the $400.00 dollar additional price and what I believe to be a better bang for the buck in the case of the Giant, it is a tough pill to swallow. Have no intention of selling the Quick as I do enjoy it and like having a similar but different offering at my disposal. I have this in most of my interests so not out of character for me but as I am retired and the market seems hell bent on giving me heartburn I am trying to be considerate. I am also 70 years old so a big dollar bike is only icing on a cake I can never exploit to it's fullest.
Thanks again for the input, Frank.
Old 12-08-18, 10:42 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Duplicate threads merged.
Old 12-09-18, 06:22 AM
hokiefyd 

Frank, to speak to Giant as a brand in general, I can share my experience with two recent purchases. I bought a 2018 Giant ARX 2 earlier this spring. I didn't like the fit/geometry of the bike, and I returned it and bought a 2018 Roam 2 instead. I found the frames on both bikes to be well-made, at least to the degree that I can assess. The welds look clean and they seem to be smoothed down some prior to paint (to remove some of the "ripple" effect from the metal puddles). Both seem to be inline/aligned and ride well. I didn't own my ARX long enough to have any reliability issues with it. I have had two warranty issues with my Roam: a clicking noise when pedaling and a loud/gritty freehub. The bike shop tightened the bottom bracket to address the click, which helped, but did not eliminate, the clicking. I replaced it with a spare bottom bracket I had which did fix the click. This was many months ago. A couple weeks ago, I swapped the factory bottom bracket back in to see if it would run quiet and it seems to now, so there must have been some installation issue. The loud/gritty freehub was replaced by the bike shop with a replacement wheel assembly. To be honest, the freehub on the replacement wheel sounds a bit dry as well, so I may investigate lubricating it myself. Cosmetically, the alignment of the decals on both of my Giants leaves something to be desired. The ARX was worse -- and had two linear graphics down the top tube that sort of wrapped around the seat tube at the end, and they were a good 1/2" off level at the end. My Roam is better, and there's no overtly misaligned graphics, but I can see certain ones that I'd like to have a bit straighter if I had the power to change it. Minor issues, these, but worth nothing I think.

I think Giant is a decent value in my experience and my bike shop indicates that they're pretty good regarding warranty work. With my sample size of two, I found that saving the $50 or $100 compared to like bike from another brand may mean small cosmetic slips like decal alignment or even possibly a cheap component like a dry freehub giving you trouble. My dad has a few Treks, including a 2014 8.4 DS (essentially the same bike as my Roam), and it's been trouble-free, like my own 2015 Verve has. The frame is also constructed very well. I enjoy my Roam, and I really like the color. To be honest, I probably would have bought a Trek DS if either of the following were true:
  1. They had a local retailer near me.
  2. They had frame colors I like.
Unfortunately, they don't have a local-to-me dealer, and I don't care for their current color palette, so I didn't buy a DS. The Specialized brand just didn't "click" with me for some reason, though my favorite local bike shop is a strong Specialized dealer. I did ride a Crosstrail and considered it, but went with the Giant instead. I'm happy with it...but do inspect your frame fit and finish closely before buying...just so you don't see something when you get home that makes you wish you looked closer at the shop!
Old 12-09-18, 07:35 AM
Helderberg

Thank you all for this information.
Frank.
Old 12-09-18, 08:23 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
I am also 70 years old so a big dollar bike is only icing on a cake I can never exploit to it's fullest.
Thanks again for the input, Frank.
What the H"ll are you talking about. I'm 70 in a couple of months have congestive heart failure and just bought a $3K Canyon Roadlite.... Well actually 2 (one for my wife as well). I plan on riding until I can't sit in the saddle. Many of the guys that ride here in North Central Fl are much older than 70 and still active. Don't worry about getting the fullest out of the bike just enjoy the ride on whatever bike YOU want. The best part about being our age is we don't need to justify anything to anyone other than ourselves ..... or maybe spouse. Got that covered as my wife rides with me. Good luck on your choice but don't sell yourself short ride what you want and can afford as life is TOO short.
Old 12-09-18, 08:51 AM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
What the H"ll are you talking about. I'm 70 in a couple of months have congestive heart failure and just bought a $3K Canyon Roadlite.... Well actually 2 (one for my wife as well). I plan on riding until I can't sit in the saddle. Many of the guys that ride here in North Central Fl are much older than 70 and still active. Don't worry about getting the fullest out of the bike just enjoy the ride on whatever bike YOU want. The best part about being our age is we don't need to justify anything to anyone other than ourselves ..... or maybe spouse. Got that covered as my wife rides with me. Good luck on your choice but don't sell yourself short ride what you want and can afford as life is TOO short.
Thank you, Frank.
Old 12-09-18, 09:34 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
A very loud +1!