Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Turning A Columbia ATB Klunker P.O.S Into A Safe Cool S.O.B!

Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Old 10-04-17, 03:13 AM
Big Dave Crowe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Schwinn, Worksman cycles and the junkyard filled with "Wally World" bikes prove that Hi tensile steel and Heavy
aluminum bike frames survive.

However, bearings, drive trains's and wheels are different stories entirely.

The Project - I want A P.O.S that I can lock up publicly for hours without stressing.

The look -Classy or "ratish klunker"/double top tube industrial looking CRUISER
with 5 speeds or more.

My Top Pick is either the:
Columbia 26 inch or 27.5 ATB klunker[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

OR

The Schwinn Alum 7 Speed (although this is no longer a cheap build, but I'll try to source a used one)
[IMG][/IMG]

So does anyone have any "Frankenstein recipes", example:
"Take this bmx from 19?? because they are everywhere and buy this crank because even though its heavy, it's bomb proof..."

This will be used for street cruising, hard pack dirt and sandy boardwalks.

The budget is to keep it under 500.00 which includes the purchase price of bike (between 130 -200)

Can it be done, who knows, but only respond if you cares./

P.s I'd like to avoid vintage purchase suggestions unless you have a 70's to mid 80's Schwinn 5 speed cruiser/klunker/ mod for sale between $200 and $300.

To be honest, I'd like to see If A P.O.S can actually be turned into A cool S.O.B.
Most people say it's a waste of time, but then again they haven't done it.
If you have, speak up ...you have my attention.

Thanks "BUD-WISER" people!

UPDATE:
PLEASE LIST PARTS INCLUDING BRAND/SPECS/PRICE WITH AN EMPHASIS ON CHEAP,STRONG,HEAVY COMPONENTS:

* NEW HEADSET
* NEW BMX QUILL OR THREADLESS STEM
* NEW BMX HANDLE BARS - WIDEST AVAILABLE WITH THE MOST BACK SWEEP
* NEW BREAK LEVERS
* NEWCALIPER/V BRAKES/ FRONT MECHANICAL DISK SET UP.
* NEW BOTTOM BRACKET (REMEMBER BOMBPROOF, CHEAP, HEAVY IS FINE)
* NEW CRANKSET
* VINTAGE WHEEL SET FROM 80'S, 90'S EARLY 2000 THAT IS WORTHLESS BY TODAY'S STANDARDS
BUT WERE BOMBPROOF 36REAR/36FRONT SPOKES, DOUBLE WALL, ALUMINUM WHEELS.

Thank you!

Last edited by Big Dave Crowe; 10-04-17 at 01:44 PM. Reason: updating post
Old 10-04-17, 04:56 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How much work are you willing to do?

I've stumbled across Worksman cruisers with 3 speed internal hubs for $100 to $150; change out or grease bearings, clean it up, and put in a 7 speed hub. Of course, they're heavy as heck. But I doubt anyone would try to snatch one.

Just a quick glance at my local CL shows lots of multi-speed cruisers with a curved top tube for $100 or less. Some will need lots of love and work; others may not. (I got lucky and got mine for $10; just had to re-attach brakes, lube a little, and air up the tires.) Of course, if you get a Wally World bike, you would want to change a lot out - but no one would steal a Kent or Next cruiser.
Old 10-04-17, 12:25 PM
Big Dave Crowe

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks Jimmie, but you must live in vintage bicycle heaven that is no longer the situation where I'm at.
In Southern California, the picker community grabs great deals quickly and resale for a premium price.
The original owners see these prices and think "I've got a gold mine" and sell them at high prices as well.
I want to stick with the bikes I mentioned.
My local CL shows me caca...
Old 10-04-17, 12:34 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That sucks
Old 10-04-17, 01:20 PM
Big Dave Crowe

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
i KNOW RIGHT?!?! However, i would have 50 bikes by now (though I have 11)...which is why im reducing the herd and keeping three.
2017 pine mountain
2017 matte blacked out custom electra townie
This P.O.S to S.O.B cruiser project.
Ok im probably (fine I will be) buying a full deore SE 4.8 wide fat mountain bike...

Last edited by Big Dave Crowe; 10-04-17 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-13-18, 09:41 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 45 Posts
I picked up this Schwinn Cruiser in a lot of other bikes and decided to have some fun with it, all the parts came from my bins including the vintage Answer cromo motorcycle handle bars. I like riding it & it jumps curbs and small stuff pretty well. Wish I had something like this when I was a kid, BMX bikes were too small to get enough speed to clear the big jumps I would do at the time & never even heard of a MTB, we jumped bikes with 26x1 1/8 tires on them, most didn't survive the landings lol.

Glenn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Schwinn Klunker 003.jpg (906.8 KB, 139 views)
Schwinn Klunker 004.jpg (760.0 KB, 137 views)
Schwinn Klunker 009.jpg (946.9 KB, 135 views)
Schwinn Klunker 013.jpg (1.02 MB, 135 views)
Schwinn Klunker 016.jpg (628.5 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by Glennfordx4; 04-01-18 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-13-18, 01:54 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
I started with an idea like that , found a 1972 ten speed remember those in a thrift store $20.00 good shape no significant rust ,, brought it home washed it and repacked all the bearings woman looking at me shaking her head,,, a friend of mine was throwing away his sons Bmx so I took it , decided too combine the two, I took the stem and handle bars off the ten speed replaced them with the Bmx stem and handle bars, I have some regular brakes off another bike put them on so basically a ten speed with upright position which feels pretty good , the shifters are on the top tube about middle ways,, bike is steel frame , heavy , wheels are 26x1.25" it rides really good but now its a attention getter cus I put a wind shield on it from a old motorcycle,,had a few people tell me they want it,, now I got to watch it,,,, the only cost was for the bike , I already had everything at the house laying around,,,
Old 03-18-18, 07:16 PM
Big Dave Crowe

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Glennfordx4
I picked up this Schwinn Cruiser in a lot of other bikes and decided to have some fun with it, all the parts came from my bins including the vintage Answer cromo motorcycle handle bars. I like riding it & it jump curbs and small stuff pretty well. Wish I had something like this when I was a kid, BMX bikes were too small to get enough speed to clear the big jumps I would do at the time & never even heard of a MTB, we jumped bikes with 26x1 1/8 tires on them, most didn't survive the landings lol.

Glenn
Wow..... speechless. Awesome!
Old 03-18-18, 07:18 PM
Big Dave Crowe

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
I started with an idea like that , found a 1972 ten speed remember those in a thrift store $20.00 good shape no significant rust ,, brought it home washed it and repacked all the bearings woman looking at me shaking her head,,, a friend of mine was throwing away his sons Bmx so I took it , decided too combine the two, I took the stem and handle bars off the ten speed replaced them with the Bmx stem and handle bars, I have some regular brakes off another bike put them on so basically a ten speed with upright position which feels pretty good , the shifters are on the top tube about middle ways,, bike is steel frame , heavy , wheels are 26x1.25" it rides really good but now its a attention getter cus I put a wind shield on it from a old motorcycle,,had a few people tell me they want it,, now I got to watch it,,,, the only cost was for the bike , I already had everything at the house laying around,,,
Pics, pics, pics!. Maybe you have the beginning of a lucrative hobby/product line.
Old 03-19-18, 03:36 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I think what you'll be wanting is the bastard love child of a 90's MTB and one of those frames.... gets you the good gear and 36H rims you need.