Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Front suspension in cycle

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-18, 05:16 AM
sivapdc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whether front suspension is necessary in cycle if so what is going to be wrong if front suspension is not there
Old 03-01-18, 06:25 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
Not necessary - a little more skill required to deal with obstacles without it. Also, most suspension forks are longer than most rigid forks. Bikes designed for a suspension fork will change greatly in handling with a too-short fork. There are rigid forks made longer.
Old 03-02-18, 12:07 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Not necessary and downright worthless on cheap bikes. I have two very old (early 90s) mountain bikes. My Balance 450 mtb has a usable Manitou front shock that still works fine after all these years. It cost about $1,200 new in the early 90s. The other one, a Cannondale SM800 has a rigid fork. Either bike suites me just fine. It was around $800 new so you can get good bikes either way. I bought both bikes second hand.
Old 03-03-18, 06:04 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Not necessary and downright worthless on cheap bikes. I have two very old (early 90s) mountain bikes. My Balance 450 mtb has a usable Manitou front shock that still works fine after all these years. It cost about $1,200 new in the early 90s. The other one, a Cannondale SM800 has a rigid fork. Either bike suites me just fine. It was around $800 new so you can get good bikes either way. I bought both bikes second hand.
+1

In past experiences with cheap Walmart, or other big box store bikes, front suspension just adds additional weight to an already too heavy bike and is just something else that can fail within a couple of months.

Old 03-10-18, 12:37 AM
Ai_Hia

Bikes: Giant Roam 3 disc 2018

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started riding again and my 2 cents probably isn't worth that, but I like having the front suspension on my hybrid bike, even if I don't use it a lot. I've mainly ridden on the paved greenway trails, but also on some light dirt trails and when I have to ride on streets with bumps, holes, etc,. After remembering I had shocks, and to unlock them, it made riding on those a lot nicer, and I'm glad to have them. But, while it's nice to have, I don't feel they're "necessary" and it would probably suck if I couldn't lock them when not needed. Without that locking option, I'd definitely want rigid forks instead. As far as I can tell, the only riding that actually needs suspension is real mountain bike riding.
Old 03-11-18, 07:24 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 607 Posts
It depends on the type of riding you do. For most recreational riding on streets and bike paths it isn't necessary and a cheap suspension fork is more of a liability than a help as others have stated. If you really need some type of shock absorbing for recreational riding I'd recommend a suspension handlebar stem over a fork. Much cheaper and much lighter. I do a fair amount of riding on the local gravel roads which take a real beating from heavy trucks and farm machinery with long sections of heavy rutting and wash boarding and for those rides a decent suspension fork is a real lifesaver.
Old 03-14-18, 05:06 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
My wife absolutely needs a suspension fork AND a suspension seatpost and wide MTB tires. She has a fused back with nerve damage. She and I regularly ride 15+ miles in a 2-3 hour excursion. Those bumps and potholes can really damn her for days. If there is no medical need, only mountain bikes or riding on gravel really benefit from suspension.
Old 03-20-18, 03:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Good high performance suspension forks cost more than many people are willing to spend on a whole bicycle.
Old 03-26-18, 04:02 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I do mixed road and gravel and keep them permanently locked as I couldn't be bothered to change going between the 2 .... if I felt it was uncomfortable I#d probably use them but I don't.