Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do bicyclists have the right to...?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Do bicyclists have the right to...?

Old 09-01-18, 01:30 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My own Golden Rule of Cycling is “Do unto the Pedestrians, as you would have the Cagers do unto you.”
Indeed …. But there is also the corollary, “What would happen to you if you acted as pedestrians act towards bikes towards an automobile … you would unfortunately suffer the same fate when a pedestrian does it to you.”

If I rode the wrong way in the middle of the lane at night with no lights coming over a hill around a corner and got hit by a car, I would get hurt.

If a pedestrian were walking In A Bike Lane (not on an MUP or on a sidewalk—PLEASE keep on point) into traffic up a hill around a corner at night … and we collided … I would get hurt.

So in effect …. I pay for Everyone’s bad behavior.

I don’t see where it is wrong to expect peds to respect thwe Most basic rules of the road.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
IMO, this is a dogmatically legalistic viewpoint by ardent cyclophiles, and is not operative in the real world. Not to refute it, but as I posted earlier on this thread:
I wouldn’t get too upset at much a ped did on an MUP … or not for long … because even good people can be selfish and stupid at times (except me, of course.) But if some guy In a Bike Lane sounded off an air horn at a ped … I wouldn’t cry.

Cyclists complain about drivers parking in bike lanes … is that also “a dogmatically legalistic viewpoint by ardent cyclophiles, and is not operative in the real world”?

I try to be kind to everyone … stupid, mean people generally need help, not (or not just) a good kick in the butt. But if we are going to improve Traffic Safety, and still allow all the various transport modes to be effective … somehow all the idiots have to be schooled to pay attention.

I am pretty sure, diminutive of James from the vicinity of the city of the first American mass shooting ….. if you were riding your half-priced $8,000 machine in a law-abiding fashion and an ignorant pedestrian walked into you and wrecked you, causing you bodily injury and ruining your bike … you might wish that someone, somewhere had told that person “Walk on the Sidewalk, you moron!”

Assuming the pedestrian survived. or not ....then how would you then feel, if you were sued … and the person (or his family) told you that it was Your responsibility to give way, and then all your savings were drained by a settlement for some guy who was basically walking down the middle of the road into traffic?

We both know this will never happen, and all of us, including the imaginary offender, are glad (but his slimy, greedy imaginary family is disappointed …) but the thought exercise can be instructive.

Imagine being bankrupted because a pedestrian basically walked head on into cyclophile traffic?

I bet you’d much prefer that I ride by and behead the guy with my machete before you get there … so long as you didn’t skid in the blood.

Last edited by Maelochs; 09-01-18 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-04-18, 10:16 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Someone being an idiot and/or breaking the rules does not justify hitting them with your vehicle. Ultimately, I think it just comes down to that.
Old 09-04-18, 11:25 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by OBoile
Someone being an idiot and/or breaking the rules does not justify hitting them with your vehicle.
Unless you can get away with it.
Old 09-24-18, 05:12 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
In some locales'. The 'powers that be', in the state legislature. Have put it in the traffic code. That for a vehicle to make a right turn. They MUST go into the bike lane before making the right-turn. I hate moronic traffic code like this.
Old 10-01-18, 07:41 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
I look at the bike lane like any other lane, no matter WHAT THE LAW says. Since so few infractions are capable of being reported to the law, to me it is COURTESY which rules the road. The law comes into play only when the infractions can be clearly demarcated, for instance by cameras or dash cams.

AS a cyclist, I enter the "car lane, and/or the turning left lane near an intersection," infrequently and intermittently. When I enter it is with the intention to vacate that lane as soon as is practical and safe.

I feel the same way about cars in the bike lane. The bike lane is on the right hand side in most cases, and if you are turning to the RIGHT, it makes sense to get into the rightmost lane on the roadway.

The mentality that I fight hard against is the idea that bikes "OWN THE BIKE LANE," which is exactly the mentality we are fighting with "cars that own the road."
Old 10-01-18, 08:19 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
IMHO roads would be such a better place if EVERYBODY had to get qualified to ride on a bicycle for a set period, then on a motorcycle before being allowed loose in a motorcar let alone a HGV.

Nothing ingrains awareness for other road users like being one of those yourself.
Old 10-02-18, 10:08 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by Chris0516
In some locales'. The 'powers that be', in the state legislature. Have put it in the traffic code. That for a vehicle to make a right turn. They MUST go into the bike lane before making the right-turn. I hate moronic traffic code like this.
IMO this is a good idea. You shouldn't be turning across a live lane of traffic.
Old 10-02-18, 03:36 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
IMO this is a good idea. You shouldn't be turning across a live lane of traffic.
The cyclist is part of that live lane of traffic. I get motorists' cutting in front of me. Just because they see no with cutting a cyclist off. Just so they can make it to the exit. Instead of waiting momentarily behind a cyclist, to make that same turn.
Old 10-02-18, 04:32 PM
OBoile

The cyclist is part of that live lane of traffic. I get motorists' cutting in front of me. Just because they see no with cutting a cyclist off. Just so they can make it to the exit. Instead of waiting momentarily behind a cyclist, to make that same turn.
If there is a separate bike lane, then cyclists are part of a different lane of traffic. Having cars cut across that lane is dangerous and leads to confusion as cyclists often try to pass turning cars on the right and drivers forget to check while turning. Having a car enter the bike lane first removes uncertainty. Cyclists have to go around on the left (or wait). Cars, making a deliberate lane change are also more likely to look.
Old 10-03-18, 11:06 AM
Maelochs

If there is a separate bike lane, then cyclists are part of a different lane of traffic. .... Having a car enter the bike lane first removes uncertainty. Cyclists have to go around on the left (or wait). Cars, making a deliberate lane change are also more likely to look.
Must be nice if the bike lane is twelve feet wide. The bike lanes everywhere I have ever ridden were all four feet wide and a car could not "pull into" the bike lane without blocking two lanes of traffic.
Old 10-04-18, 12:01 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Must be nice if the bike lane is twelve feet wide. The bike lanes everywhere I have ever ridden were all four feet wide and a car could not "pull into" the bike lane without blocking two lanes of traffic.
I'm not sure I see the relevance of this. The point is, the car moves all the way to the right before making a right hand turn which prevents cyclists from getting cut off by turning cars. Who cares if it slows a the (non-bike) lane as cars in that lane would have to slow down either way?
Old 10-04-18, 11:24 AM
dh024

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'm not sure I see the relevance of this. The point is, the car moves all the way to the right before making a right hand turn which prevents cyclists from getting cut off by turning cars. Who cares if it slows a the (non-bike) lane as cars in that lane would have to slow down either way?
Yep, exactly. But I think a lot of people don't like the idea of cyclists "slowing down" traffic, and they can never think beyond that part of it.
Old 10-04-18, 12:45 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by zze86
This is in partial response to another recent thread but instead of hijacking it, figured it may be better off as another post.

Granted, the measure taken by the rider in the first video was a bit extreme (honking at everybody who crossed him with a air horn) but a second video showed a gentleman casually singing "Bike lane! You're in the bike lane!" and ringing his bell while weaving through the New Year's crowd. While it was rather tastefully well done on his part I wonder if maybe he would have been just better walking (maybe not, just sayin; I know it can be rather difficult to walk a bike through heavy traffic).

Which got me thinking, is it always the case that cyclists have the right to the bike lane? When driving a car, you are supposed to yield to pedestrians regardless of whether a cross signal is in effect or not, whether the pedestrian is jay walking or whatever. Obviously the police would not look kindly upon the pedestrian if the pedestrian was casually strolling through a highway or busy road and apt to cause harm to themself or cause traffic incidents but for the most part the pedestrian has the right of way.

I used to race cars once upon a time, time trial events where there were multiple classes/cars on the course at the same time. One of the simple rules was if there was an accident, it was always the faster guys fault regardless of what the slower guy was doing and the driver doing the overtaking was ejected from the course for the day.

I read posts on here all the time about "idiot pedestrians" whether in the bike lane or on the MUP. I get it. I commute on an almost daily basis and have to deal with pedestrians all the time, some of who ARE idiots but that doesn't defeat the fact that I should be yielding to them at all times. It can be annoying, aggravating and, admittedly, overwhelming so that it is ignored at times.

[color=brown]How do you feel about the issue?[/brown] Is the pedestrian or cyclists that should be yielding in the bike lane? MUPs? Is it the responsibility of the faster to yield to the slower or vice versa?
Motorist yield to pedestrians crossing the street at the proper designated cross point. Just because motorist aren't allowed to run you over if you cross intermittently, doesn't mean you get to wantonly interfere with the flow of traffic. Walking in the roadway or crossing willy-nilly is still against the law and pedestrians can be ticketed and/or arrested.

Bike lanes serve a purpose and pedestrian that interfere with that purpose and should be subject to penalties the least of which is a rude comment of gesture.
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
I look at the bike lane like any other lane, no matter WHAT THE LAW says. Since so few infractions are capable of being reported to the law, to me it is COURTESY which rules the road. The law comes into play only when the infractions can be clearly demarcated, for instance by cameras or dash cams.

AS a cyclist, I enter the "car lane, and/or the turning left lane near an intersection," infrequently and intermittently. When I enter it is with the intention to vacate that lane as soon as is practical and safe.

I feel the same way about cars in the bike lane. The bike lane is on the right hand side in most cases, and if you are turning to the RIGHT, it makes sense to get into the rightmost lane on the roadway.

The mentality that I fight hard against is the idea that bikes "OWN THE BIKE LANE," which is exactly the mentality we are fighting with "cars that own the road."
Wrong mentality. Where there is a law always follow the laws/rules first. Laws are predictable and universally understood -- not to mention enforceable. Courtesies are not, and vary from person to person and are way to unpredictable. Roads are not pedestrian overflow paths.

Last edited by KraneXL; 10-04-18 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 01:55 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts

I read posts on here all the time about "idiot pedestrians" whether in the bike lane or on the MUP. I get it. I commute on an almost daily basis and have to deal with pedestrians all the time, some of who ARE idiots but that doesn't defeat the fact that I should be yielding to them at all times. It can be annoying, aggravating and, admittedly, overwhelming so that it is ignored at times.

How do you feel about the issue? Is the pedstrian or cyclists that should be yielding in the bike lane? MUPs? Is it the responsibility of the faster to yield to the slower or vice versa?
How about just going through the day NOT hitting ANYBODY. No matter who is right, wrong, or an idiot. Whatever it takes - don't hit anybody! Expecting any group of people to comply to rules is a fantasy. Peds, motorists, cyclists are all the same PEOPLE. We are imperfect. Cut the jerks a break if need be. Be polite. Maybe then just ONE DAY, everybody gets home in one piece.
Old 10-04-18, 02:10 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Are we talking about children or adults here? Get a clue and stay out of the flow of traffic whether that be the roadway or the bike lane. If it says "Bike Lane" you're not suppose to be there. How hard is that? If you still need help figuring this out hire a babysitter. This vortex of stupid never ends.
Old 11-02-18, 12:33 PM
tsheeran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed
Old 11-02-18, 02:32 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

How do you feel about the issue? Is the pedstrian or cyclists that should be yielding in the bike lane? MUPs? Is it the responsibility of the faster to yield to the slower or vice versa?
I want to get through my cycling day without hitting anybody/anything. Whatever it takes. I don't care about the rules.
Old 11-03-18, 08:32 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I want to get through my cycling day without hitting anybody/anything. Whatever it takes. I don't care about the rules.
Riders riding with attitudes like this are the reason New Orleans is a such a dangerous cycling city.

it's a war zone out there ... the cyclists don't car about the laws at all.

[[Just kidding, @JoeyBike ... I get your meaning, however inaptly it might have been expressed. I think most of us---definitely those of us who ever face dense traffic---have a similar philosophy: If I have to break a rule or break a bone, the rule loses.]]
Old 11-03-18, 12:08 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Riders riding with attitudes like this are the reason New Orleans is a such a dangerous cycling city.

it's a war zone out there ... the cyclists don't car about the laws at all.

[[Just kidding, @JoeyBike ... I get your meaning, however inaptly it might have been expressed. I think most of us---definitely those of us who ever face dense traffic---have a similar philosophy: If I have to break a rule or break a bone, the rule loses.]]
Because the city is dangerous we have to ride with a certain attitude. It's a 'chicken and the egg' thing.
Old 11-05-18, 01:04 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I come across pedestrians in bike lanes from time to time--I am sure we all do (Let it be clear "BIKE LANE" and not "MUP.") Basically, they do not belong there. The last time I came across a couple, there was a sidewalk on the other side of the street--it is one thing if it is a "share the road" situation, but .....whatever.

That's why I carry a machete.
Okay, Rodney Dangerfield is deceased. If the thread wants to be Foo, start one in Foo.
Old 12-03-18, 07:01 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
You have the right to do what helps everyone get to where they are going, in one piece.
Old 12-03-18, 11:05 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

I actually like when cars move to the bike lane before turning right. Keeps them from right-hooking me. They aren't going to use a turn signal anyway. Their position will tell me what I need to know.
Old 12-03-18, 11:26 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Much of my riding hits places where bike lanes merge with road shoulders. And, I pass pedestrians where there are no sidewalks. I don't expect them to dive for the bushes when I pass.

Bike lanes are marked with pretty bike symbols, but they also may be considered "break down lanes". I do think this is better reserved for emergency use, rather than simply parking in the bike lane because it is convenient.

Garbage Cans? A major problem simply because there may be no better place to put them. And, nobody has thought to design a pad or something for them to sit on.

Construction signs. Also a major problem, simply because to be effective, they must be where they can be seen, not off in the bushes somewhere. But, they are often one of the widest obstructions in bike lanes requiring complete merging into the traffic lanes already impinged with construction.

People pushing shopping carts? That is an odd one. But, it may be simply that access to the sidewalks is less convenient than the already flat bike lanes, for many of the same reasons that bike lanes also work well for bicycles.

In all, bikes are in a niche where they must accept what is out there.
Old 12-03-18, 12:42 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I actually like when cars move to the bike lane before turning right. Keeps them from right-hooking me. They aren't going to use a turn signal anyway. Their position will tell me what I need to know.
Yep. And it makes it somehow more natural when you move left behind him, to keep the next guy from rushing up to right hook you.
Old 12-03-18, 05:23 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
it's a war zone out there ... the cyclists don't care about the laws at all.
New Orleans was always known as "The City That Care Forgot."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.