Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Crazy Pedestrian this morning

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Crazy Pedestrian this morning

Old 11-11-18, 07:34 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Have you checked the latest obituaries here? Sounds like a war zone to me.
Nobody gets out alive. You just read too many A&S threads.
Old 11-11-18, 08:03 PM
Groundhog2

Bikes: Trek Cruiser 7 speed axle, Specialized Hybrid, and Gary Fisher Mendotta .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
Just a point to consider. Not everyone can hear. Don’t expect people to hear bells, shouts, etc if you come up behind them. It is YOUR responsibility as a rider to pass people courteously and safely. It is not their responsibility to make way.
Not true (to the extent that our English is accurate.) It IS their responsibility to clear the path if they are blocking it. They have no right to block a path nor is there reason initially anyway for confrontational behavior in these scenarios. We bikers need to have a way to warn pedestrians and to concurrently request by implication that they move over enough for us to pass by. Idiots wearing ear stuffing obviously require louder noises to overcome their self-imposed hearing loss. I think there is a good analogy with snow skiing. When approaching anyone who might not be aware of your passing you yell or say loudly enough to be heard "ON YOUR RIGHT" or "ON YOUR LEFT" which lets them know what action is best for them and that you are approaching. This works fine for me when biking and coming up behind pedestrians except where the self-destructive nut cases have their ears stuffed. In those cases you just get as loud as you have to. In worst cases I pull up beside them, hopefully scaring the crap out of them, and say "Pardon me." None of this is a big issue among responsible, congenial people.
Old 11-11-18, 10:10 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Groundhog2
Not true (to the extent that our English is accurate.) It IS their responsibility to clear the path if they are blocking it. They have no right to block a path nor is there reason initially anyway for confrontational behavior in these scenarios. We bikers need to have a way to warn pedestrians and to concurrently request by implication that they move over enough for us to pass by.
We do, its a bell. It instantly does all of the above.
Idiots wearing ear stuffing obviously require louder noises to overcome their self-imposed hearing loss. I think there is a good analogy with snow skiing. When approaching anyone who might not be aware of your passing you yell or say loudly enough to be heard "ON YOUR RIGHT" or "ON YOUR LEFT" which lets them know what action is best for them and that you are approaching.
Is that the action you're taking or the action they should take? That's the inherent problem with shouting instructions on the fly
This works fine for me when biking and coming up behind pedestrians except where the self-destructive nut cases have their ears stuffed. In those cases you just get as loud as you have to. In worst cases I pull up beside them, hopefully scaring the crap out of them, and say "Pardon me." None of this is a big issue among responsible, congenial people.
You can't fix stupid. The best you can do is follow the law and hope for the best.
Old 11-11-18, 11:06 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
We do, its a bell. It instantly does all of the above.Is that the action you're taking or the action they should take? That's the inherent problem with shouting instructions on the flyYou can't fix stupid. The best you can do is follow the law and hope for the best.
Thankfully there is no law in Louisiana that commands me to yell at every knucklehead I pass. The best I can do is just be certain to not run them over. Just today on a MUP I bailed onto the grass well before some dad training his daughter to ride a 2-wheeler, oblivious to the other 7.2 billion people occupying this planet, ran into me. I just gave them plenty of space. Yelling or ringing my bell would almost certainly cause the kid to panic and fall. I am not a nice guy, I just don't want to be delayed by smacking into people.
Old 11-11-18, 11:42 PM
Groundhog2

Bikes: Trek Cruiser 7 speed axle, Specialized Hybrid, and Gary Fisher Mendotta .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) The bell is nice. I think I'll get one. And it is so muted and no where near loud enough, esp when the obstruction has plugged their ears.
2) When you yell or say loudly enough to be heard "ON YOUR RIGHT" the meaning is 100% obvious and requires no time for thought. The person in the path KNOWS something is about to be suddenly there ON YOUR RIGHT. Not at all ambiguous. That is exactly why it is so effective on the ski slopes (and anywhere that the person being passed inherently knows their own direction and thus inherently knows what "on your right" means. ) There is no better solution and worst case you may have to stop for the obstruction.
3) There is no relevant law. These situations are "what works best" and common sense. All experienced skiers cope in this manner quite well. So do MOST bikers.
Old 11-12-18, 01:11 AM
KraneXL

1) The bell is nice. I think I'll get one. And it is so muted and no where near loud enough, esp when the obstruction has plugged their ears.
Which is neither in your control, nor your responsibility.
2) When you yell or say loudly enough to be heard "ON YOUR RIGHT" the meaning is 100% obvious and requires no time for thought. The person in the path KNOWS something is about to be suddenly there ON YOUR RIGHT. Not at all ambiguous. That is exactly why it is so effective on the ski slopes (and anywhere that the person being passed inherently knows their own direction and thus inherently knows what "on your right" means. ) There is no better solution and worst case you may have to stop for the obstruction.
No, it is not.
3) There is no relevant law. These situations are "what works best" and common sense. All experienced skiers cope in this manner quite well. So do MOST bikers.
That sounds unlikely. I suggest you read your driver handbook since cycling laws are pretty similar in all 50 states. I have no idea what skiers do.
Old 11-12-18, 09:16 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
The “Hispanic accent bit,” is unnecessary, it does not add anything to the story and is even potentially racist.

Great job OP.
Old 11-12-18, 10:04 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
The “Hispanic accent bit,” is unnecessary, it does not add anything to the story and is even potentially racist.

Great job OP.
Thanks for shining a tinted spotlight on that as well.

If you have ever taken a creative writing class you might know that telling a story is like painting a picture. Details add to the storyline. So if he was actually painting a picture, when it came time to color in the woman the OP would have to choose a color from his palette. Same with writing. You can paint an accurate picture without being a racist. Just throwing that out there. No need mentioning she was a woman either. Or an Earthling.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-12-18 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-12-18, 10:30 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Thanks for shining a tinted spotlight on that as well.

If you have ever taken a creative writing class you might know that telling a story is like painting a picture. Details add to the storyline. So if he was actually painting a picture, when it came time to color in the woman the OP would have to choose a color from his palette. Same with writing. You can paint an accurate picture without being a racist. Just throwing that out there. No need mentioning she was a woman either. Or an Earthling.
Enlighten me please. Tell me about what a wonderful creative writing genius you think you are.

Writing that the woman had a “Hispanic accent,” only adds a racist cast to an otherwise pointless rant.

Thank you for the writing lessons Hemingway.
Old 11-12-18, 10:47 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Writing that the woman had a “Hispanic accent,” only adds a racist cast to an otherwise pointless rant.

I disagree.

Thank you for the writing lessons Hemingway.
Perhaps you should read more Hemingway. And pay attention to how each character gets painted so you can "see" them in your mind's eye. Or imagine their "southern" dialect. Hemingway could have been a racist, I have no idea, but he is certainly in good company when it comes to describing characters with words. Like every single writer out there. There would be zero novels in the library if this practice were so offensive to everyone.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-12-18 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-12-18, 10:50 AM
eja_ bottecchia

I disagree.

Perhaps you should read more Hemingway. And pay attention to how each character gets painted so you can "see" them in your mind's eye. Or imagine their "southern" dialect. Hemingway could have been a racist, I have no idea, but he is certainly in good company when it comes to describing characters with words. Like every single writer out there.
Si Senor, dis Hispanic man needs to read more Hemingway. Gracia Senor, muchas gracias amigo.
Old 11-12-18, 11:24 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Si Senor, dis Hispanic man needs to read more Hemingway. Gracia Senor, muchas gracias amigo.

Do you know for a fact that the OP is NOT Hispanic? I don't. And I don't automatically assume the worst about everybody. But if the OP happens to be Hispanic, or part Hispanic, or in anyway identifies with the Hispanic community, then you should feel shame.
Old 11-12-18, 11:28 AM
Groundhog2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which is neither in your control, nor your responsibility.No, it is not. That sounds unlikely. I suggest you read your driver handbook since cycling laws are pretty similar in all 50 states. I have no idea what skiers do.
1) I see you are in CA and apparently belong there. Character assassination combined with being illogical is the most common tool of the left, but I digress. It is my responsibility to handle the obstruction placed in front of me. You are responsible not to hit what is in front of you. It is in my control & transferred to me when the obstruction failed to handle their responsibility. 2) Yes it is. "On the Right" said loudly enough is by far the best tool. 3) There is no "driver's handbook" for biking or skiing much less "law." There is a code of responsibility consistently posted at almost all ski areas in North American and in agreement with what I have said " you are responsible for those "downhill" from you. Same in biking if they don't move or have sense enough to unstuff their ears.
Old 11-12-18, 12:07 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Do you know for a fact that the OP is NOT Hispanic? I don't. And I don't automatically assume the worst about everybody. But if the OP happens to be Hispanic, or part Hispanic, or in anyway identifies with the Hispanic community, then you should feel shame.
It does not matter whether the OP is Hispanic or not. A racist remark is not made any less racist because the speaker belings tomthe same group as the object of the remarks.

By the way, Hispanics live in Europe and most of the Americas, including the Caribbean. We all have different “accents,” Cubans, Mexicans and Chileans (to name a few) all have different accents. To say that she spoke with a “Hispanic accent,” is like saying that an Aussie speaks with a British accent.

in that regard, the OP is displaying both racism and ignorance.

your continued defense of the OP may not be racist, but it now displays the same levels of ignorance.

That surprises me, I have read many of your posts and you seem to be an intelligent guy. Your comments here, however, seem weak.
Old 11-12-18, 12:09 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

1) I see you are in CA and apparently belong there. Character assassination combined with being illogical is the most common tool of the left, but I digress.
Oh boy.

It is my responsibility to handle the obstruction placed in front of me.... you are responsible for those "downhill" from you. Same in biking if they don't move or have sense enough to unstuff their ears.
My only responsibility is to not hit them. I am not legally bound to call out, ring a bell, blow a horn, give them financial advice, hold their hand at the dentist, or soothe them in any way. ALL of that stuff is in THEIR hands and in their power to deal with. Not being startled is 100% avoidable by them. If they can't pay attention to the surroundings, I don't care and neither does the law. All I am charged with legally is not running into them. Yes, they have right-of-way, and I grant that. I even leave the paved path to go around them if need be. The rest is on them.

Skiing is a poor example anyway since many skiers can not turn or stop proficiently and gravity is relentless. If I stop pedaling, I slow down and eventually stop. If they stop walking, they stop instantly. Dry land propulsion is much less dynamic than a bunch of skiers carving down a steep mountain on a friction-free surface with no lane markings.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-12-18 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-12-18, 12:20 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

That surprises me, I have read many of your posts and you seem to be an intelligent guy. Your comments here, however, seem weak.
Two years ago I got ambushed by a white dude with the body of a mixed martial arts fighter and tattoos. [True story btw] Does mentioning that he is white appear racist, or just part of telling a story with visual content? Also, where I live, if I left out the color many would assume he was not white.

My point has been made, IMO. Details of a story are not racist by nature. Perhaps the OP is a racist, or perhaps he is Latino/Hispanic himself. I am not even certain of he or she for the OP.

This thread is headed for the padlock anyway looks like. Congrats.
Old 11-12-18, 02:05 PM
KraneXL

Using a race, nationality, culture, etc. is not inherently racist, but it depends on the context and how its used. What I learned about writing is to ask yourself is the description necessary to tell the story?
Old 11-12-18, 02:36 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Using a race, nationality, culture, etc. is not inherently racist, but it depends on the context and how its used. What I learned about writing is to ask yourself is the description necessary to tell the story?
True. Was it really necessary for the OP to mention the gender of the person? We painting the OP a sexist too while we're at it?

I enjoyed the OPs account as is. I fully realize how different parts of the USA have vastly different sensibilities about such things as this. I have relatives in Seattle. They are appalled at so much of the way we speak of each other in New Orleans. I guess we are pretty lazy here when it comes to describing people. I currently work with 4 black people (USA), 2 white (USA), one Hispanic guy (Puerto Rico). I used to work with half a dozen Hispanic guys (Honduras) at another company. Then my number of acquaintances were vast. So, I could be talking to any one of my coworkers about any one of a hundred acquaintances who come in a rainbow of colors. If one of us didn't know the dude's name, the conversation would start with "He's the white dude who drives the blue pickup truck", or "He's the Hispanic dude with the pony tail, remember him?" "Kinda tall, always wears wife-beater shirts." This is pragmatic and saves everyone time when the point of the story is not about the guy's appearance but some other thing they did. "Remember that white dude who came in here two days ago asking for a jump on his car?" None of us are offended, but my kinfolk from Seattle freak the hell out when we talk like this. They think we're politically incorrect, I think they are overly sensitive.

Also we call each other "Baby", "Darling", "Sweetheart", "Honey" like it's nothing. The girl working the grocery store register says: "Hey Baby, how's your day going?" Never seen her before in my life. Again, my out of town people freak out. I'm a sexist for calling her Darlin'. Even though it's no different than just saying "Hello" to any of us in NOLA.

Pretty typical of this forum. Making assumptions without proof or any personal knowledge of the OP.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-12-18 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-12-18, 03:41 PM
Groundhog2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh boy Oh Boy !
Your lack of logic and rules of the road are at least consistent. Consistently wrong. You are not legally bound to do anything but pay taxes and die. And I have to tell you again there is no law regarding bike rules off of public highways (in any state other than Calif. but, you never know about the left coast...)
And skiing is a great example, perfectly analogous and sharing most of the same reasons.

"Many skiers cannot turn or stop proficiently..." ?? Yep, that illustrates how much you know about the whole topic. Many bikers cannot stay upright or ride a bike ...until they learned to ride. Duh. You don't like me either, the feeling is mutual, and I will never reply further. The end.
Old 11-12-18, 07:51 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Exactly my point. How does writing that the woman spoke with a “Hispanic accent,” help advance the story?

The short answer is that it doesn’t matter. The woman could have spoken with a flawless British accent, or a refined Bostonian accent or a Cajun accent.

The inclusion of the accent tidbit was meant to somehow diminish the woman and make her sound somehow less worthy of being out on the sidewalk.

I am not the only one who found the inclusion of the accent objectionable.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, other times it is....well, you know.
Old 11-12-18, 11:56 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Exactly my point. How does writing that the woman spoke with a “Hispanic accent,” help advance the story?
Some androgynous person yelled at me on the sidewalk for allegedly passing too close.

How utterly boring.
Old 11-13-18, 03:13 AM
KraneXL

My personal rule is to give the pedestrian the same courtesy I'd expect from a motorist: I slow and move to the maximum distance for safe passing.
Old 11-13-18, 09:56 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

My personal rule is to give the pedestrian the same courtesy I'd expect from a motorist: I slow and move to the maximum distance for safe passing.
Without honking, yelling, or ringing a bell? How is that possible?
Old 11-13-18, 08:52 PM
KraneXL

Without honking, yelling, or ringing a bell? How is that possible?
Yelling induces panic. But I always ring my bell.
Old 11-18-18, 09:31 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I left this thread almost a week ago, it still rear ended a car. Somebody administered first aid but it died.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.